PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer Poll

SmittyJonz
06-07-2018, 12:35 AM
Do you Rely on a thermometer such as a Teltru or River Country in the Door/Body Only or do you run an electronic thermometer with probes.

SmittyJonz
06-07-2018, 12:46 AM
I quit using my Maverick because of too many probe issues, have bought several probes. So I just go by the Thermo in the Door and send the Grankids out to check it and report back when they are here.........other Times I have to Brave the Heat and walk outside and check it myself........:shock:

The Wookiee
06-07-2018, 12:53 AM
On the offset - Shorter cooks (ribs & less) = teltru in door; longer cooks (briskets/shoulders etc) = FireBoard probes

Leftwngr
06-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Tel tru in smoker.

Thermoworks in the grills when going indirect. In smoker only when fully loaded and need to keep eye on 2 spots that get hot

spcclay
06-07-2018, 01:11 AM
I rely more on my electronic probes than the door thermometer, but I use both as a to verify consistency.

m-fine
06-07-2018, 04:18 AM
I used to rely on the teltru’s on the Lang, with digital measurements every now and then to understand their accuracy and the difference between what they read and the temps on the grates. Then one lost its accuracy (after close to 20 years) and the other got accidentally smashed.

Now I use digital most of the time, but almost always with just pit probes. I rarely sticks probe into the meat.

pjtexas1
06-07-2018, 05:55 AM
Digital most of the time as most of my cookers are not within viewing distance of where I am inside. Alarms make it easy to know when to add a split.

Burnt at Both Endz
06-07-2018, 07:12 AM
I have a handful of the thermo brand probes, so I use them. Sometimes the meat is already done when I get around to using them.

Anymore, I go by the theory that the big piece of meat can't tell what temp the pit is running and doesn't really care.

thirdeye
06-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Mostly I use a cable thermometer at the grate. On my drum I have a Tel-Tru with a 12" stem, so it is reading in roughly the center of the cooker when I hang things, this works well for me.

Badgerjacob
06-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I do not rely on either. I can tell the temp of the chamber by feel. I think that is the downfall with today's BBQ. Too many gadgets and the art is being lost.

KevinJ
06-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Just use the Tel Tru, will use a Dot to monitor IT when I need to pull at a specific temp for lean meats like poultry or pork loins. Other than that the Tel Tru and a Thermapen work quite well for me.

sudsandswine
06-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Depends what I'm doing, if I'm using my kamado it's because I'm busy doing something else and dont have time to keep an eye on things, in which case I will use the flame boss to handle the temp and use meat probes. Sometimes I'll use my flame boss with the Shirley if I need to monitor the cooker temp. Lately I've been too lazy to bother with meat or cooker temp probes in the Shirley and I just take a peek out the front window and rely on color/texture for meat progress. Disregarding internal meat temp has been working well lately.

I just put some big ol 5" glow in the dark Tel Tru's on the Shirley that make it a bit easier to keep tabs on.

Cliffs notes...it depends.

pjtexas1
06-07-2018, 09:23 AM
I do not rely on either. I can tell the temp of the chamber by feel. I think that is the downfall with today's BBQ. Too many gadgets and the art is being lost.

Uncle Lewis? Is that you???:shock::becky:

sparctek
06-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I have Maverick thermometer I bought several years ago. I used 3 maybe 4 times but it has been put away since then.

I rely on the door thermometers of both cookers.

SWMN
06-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I just use the door thermometers. As long as the pit is 250ish to 275ish, I'm happy. I have to add wood every 45min to an hour, so I can keep an eye on the temps that way.

bigblueakorn
06-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Using a ThermoPro on grill and meat.....seems to be working well for me.
Can't trust the Akorn's lid thermometer for grill temp.

Czarbecue
06-07-2018, 11:08 AM

I donít know about that... wife was frying some fish and I asked how does she know when to put the fish in without a thermometer. She WAVED her hand over the pan of oil and said its ready.

It took three fry sessions to get the fish cooked.

Jason TQ
06-07-2018, 11:12 AM
It depends on the pit. My hunsakers might be the first smoker where you can "rely" on it to pretty much always be spot on. My shirley, backwoods, gravity etc depending on how much meat was in there or in close proximity to the therms they would read different. Not the cookers fault there of course.

mcyork28
06-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I like to use my Smoke to monitor pit temps. It seems to react to temp drops faster than the Tel-Tru.

Mikhail
06-07-2018, 11:27 AM
I would put a TelTru on my PK, but the probe is 2Ē into the cooking chamber. Too much real estate on a small pit.

airedale
06-07-2018, 11:45 AM
I like the alarm functions on the electronic gadgets. I set one to trigger if the pit gets too cold and one to trigger when the meat approaches the point where I want to pull or or start probing for tenderness.

I just assembled a HeaterMeater. Very slick web interface for setting alarm points. The thing will send me a text or an email (or both) when an alarm is triggered.

m-fine
06-07-2018, 01:33 PM
I like the alarm functions on the electronic gadgets. I set one to trigger if the pit gets too cold and one to trigger when the meat approaches the point where I want to pull or or start probing for tenderness.

I just assembled a HeaterMeater. Very slick web interface for setting alarm points. The thing will send me a text or an email (or both) when an alarm is triggered.

The HeaterMeter is fantastic at controlling temp, but it is also an amazing monitoring and alarm solution. I use it on my stick burner whenever I canít or donít want to babysit it. Not to do any control, just to let me check up on it remotely or to nudge me to go add a stick.

m-fine
06-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Disregarding internal meat temp has been working well lately

It always has for centuries. If I were to open a BBQ academy, students would not be allowed to check internal temps until they graduated to the advance classes.

enduro
06-07-2018, 02:42 PM
I have Tel-Tru's mounted, but since I can't see the pit from my house, I often use the remote Mavericks to keep an eye on things. Don't set the alarms or anything, just easier than running out to the smoke shed to check temps, especially in bad weather.

ElQueTraz
06-07-2018, 04:47 PM
For large meats like brisket and shoulder, I run probes. Otherwise, casual ribs etc, i just go by the door gage and my Thermapen

Whitewookie
06-07-2018, 06:11 PM
I use a Weber igrill when I need to monitor large chunks or kettle/smoker temps.

For stuff like steaks or chicken pieces I like my thermopen.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blythewood BBQ'er
06-07-2018, 06:15 PM
I used my Smoke to calibrate my River Country. I used to just set the intakes on my drum and let it ride. Atlleast it gives me something to look at or when the wife tells me do do something I can point at it and say I'm busy. On the Bubba Grill I just sit where I can see the fire and watch that.

Joe Black
06-07-2018, 08:25 PM
For the first 1/2-2/3 of a cook I can rely on the River Country CC therms and my knowledge of my cooker. For the final portion of the cook I use the maverick. This has worked for me for a number of years. Know your cooker.

mikemci
06-07-2018, 08:52 PM
I've been smoking briskets all of my adult life. Put my hand on the lid (1/4" gas pipe CC), if I can hold it there for 3 seconds, that is my temp target.
Got a Maverick 5 years ago and found out that I've been cooking hot/fast all my life. My 3 second rule was 325*.

Happy Hapgood
06-07-2018, 09:25 PM
I've been doing temp control for a living sing 1980. You can spend as much or as little as you like. For BBQ I've found what works for me. Analog therms are a good indicator of trends: Temp going up or down.

Thermoworks makes the most accurate stuff I've seen. That being said, for my BBQ purpose this one runs a close second:

Brisket cook start to finish

https://i.imgur.com/ldR1itR.png

https://i.imgur.com/zLkvah7.jpg

Just my .02.

SmittyJonz
06-07-2018, 09:38 PM
I don't care about monitoring Meat Temps but liked being able to monitor the pit temp from inside but my Maverick or the probes or both Suck and I'm tired of buying probes. I'm wanting to get a Smoke...........don't want a Bluetooth unit

ironmanerik
06-07-2018, 10:59 PM
I don't care about monitoring Meat Temps but liked being able to monitor the pit temp from inside but my Maverick or the probes or both Suck and I'm tired of buying probes. I'm wanting to get a Smoke...........don't want a Bluetooth unit

I'm the opposite, I don't care about monitoring the pit temp but like to monitor the meat temp

jermoQ
06-07-2018, 11:29 PM
I have been using my electric, clipped to the grate to monitor temps on my UDS and use a metal one in the body of my cabinet. I decided recently to put the metal one back in the body of my UDS and use it instead. It reads about 35 degrees lower than temp, so i will have to readjust to not being more accurate.

Ag76
06-08-2018, 07:38 AM

I have never had a Maverick. Have always used Thermoworks products. Once they came out with their high temp probes, I have never had a probe problem since. Before they started making the high temp probes, I had to keep replacing them. No replacements since then. They have worked well for me.

aawa
06-08-2018, 07:50 AM
WHen I get a new cooker I do both. Depending on the placement of the bimetal thermometers it can be inaccurate for grate temperature. I use a probe thermometer for the first few cooks so I can tell the difference in temps with bimetal thermo's and the grate temperature. After I get a feel for the differences and can guestimate cook times, I will quite using the probe thermos.

Hotch
06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
My last cook, 4 Briskets and 4 butts, on my 24x42 Shirley I went old school and no temp probes. I know my center chamber temp runs 25 degrees higher than the door thermometers. So I run Shirley at 250-275 on the door readings. Usually done in around 8-9 hours. Biggest proteins take about 30 min longer. Thank you Paul and Tyler for building a great cooker!! :mrgreen:

Sickboy579
06-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Mainly the smoke ambient temp sensor

AussieMatt
06-09-2018, 11:28 AM
I use a Maverick on my drum and bought better probes for it. But, I still use my thermopop as the final say.

SmittyJonz
06-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Bunch of Electronic Gizmo Junkies here, I Guess......:twitch:

pjtexas1
06-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Bunch of Electronic Gizmo Junkies here, I Guess......:twitch:Said the guy with an atc...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Porcine Perfection
06-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Bunch of Electronic Gizmo Junkies here, I Guess......:twitch:

I think most of us are geeks and like toys. I have a Battle Box and a WSM and neither NEED anything fancy. Love my Stoker though.