PDA

View Full Version : Store bought hot links in BBQ joints

Czarbecue
06-06-2018, 10:07 AM
So I was eating an awesome plate of Conecuh n' eggs and thought, "Man, this is so good. It's like I'm at a restaurant." It clearly wasn't the eggs, which I do sunny side up with a dusting of white pepper powder and table salt.

I know some bbq places use a vendor for links instead of making their own. But how would you feel if it was your favorite store brand being charged for by the pound? I know of a place near Temple, TX that try to get away with Eckrich sausages but they claim to be fine tuning their own recipe in the meantime.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180606/60beb56873ba99ab47b13f00f5f9f2c7.jpg

LloydQ
06-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Not a fan of Echrich at all! That's like the Yugo of sausage!

sudsandswine
06-06-2018, 12:08 PM
My first trip to restaurant depot made me realize just how many restaurants reheat packaged food, especially appetizers. It was eye opening. It's more common than you'd think.

That does cross my mind when I'm ordering food at a restaurant, but I'm there more because I want someone else to do the cooking than I am to eat something I cant do myself at home.

worktogthr
06-06-2018, 12:15 PM
My first trip to restaurant depot made me realize just how many restaurants reheat packaged food, especially appetizers. It was eye opening. It's more common than you'd think.

I thought the same thing about the desserts at Restaurant Depot. Now when I go out to eat and I look at the dessert menu and things seem very familiar, I get suspicious!

worktogthr
06-06-2018, 12:19 PM
I would have to say as someone who makes a lot of homemade sausage myself, it would bother me but to your average person, who is not on smoking meat or making sausage at home, they would just be happy to have something that was smoked. The majority of the sausage I eat is my own, but there are still great products out there, like the conecuh you mentioned!

Rockinar
06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
A BBQ joint near me thatís a small operation admits they use Chappel Hill sausage. I donít think itís a big deal. Making sausage is not quick or easy. They just donít have the resources I guess. If it was Echrich or some garbage I would not be happy. Some good local sausage is fine.

el luchador
06-06-2018, 12:21 PM
many of the "restaurants" around here buy their stuff from costco's . another reason why I dont eat out.

ronbrad62
06-06-2018, 12:24 PM
It would also blow your mind at how much of the "homemade" veggies actually come out of a can from the food service companies. I guess because good help is so hard to find, these places are taking shortcuts when and where possible.

sudsandswine
06-06-2018, 12:27 PM
A lot of that is also probably driven by what customers are willing to pay. Sure, a place could do everything by hand/from scratch but are most customers willing to pay what it would cost to be worth the establishment's time? I see it here even, complaints about some barbecue restaurants being "too pricey" or "too fancy"...quality costs.

el luchador
06-06-2018, 12:33 PM
A lot of that is also probably driven by what customers are willing to pay. Sure, a place could do everything by hand/from scratch but are most customers willing to pay what it would cost to be worth the establishment's time? I see it here even, complaints about some barbecue restaurants being "too pricey" or "too fancy"...quality costs.

there is overpriced cheap junk too. just visit any lowes or home depot or best buy . I think its mostly not knowing -ie ignorance. or not caring, some people are comfortable in the darkness.

SmittyJonz
06-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Ive Eaten several places that had a sign “We Proudly Serve XXXX Sausage”- I don’t care as Long as it tastes Good.

IXL
06-06-2018, 01:07 PM
As an aside for those who don't mind not making their own hot links, we recently discovered a processing facility, located in Hereford TX, who makes the best "store bought" links we've ever eaten: "Longhorn" brand, produced in by Caviness Beef Packers.
These things are plump and tasty, and not overpowering on the "hot" part. You know you're eating a hot link but can still taste other things on the plate.

Put some smoke on 'em, and ummmm mmmm!

enduro
06-06-2018, 01:25 PM
If it's simply offered as a "hot link" on the menu, I'll try it once. If I like it, I'll buy it again next time. If not, then I won't. I assume that most of the sausage served in restaurants is produced off site and purchased and cooked by the restaurant. Not necessarily a bad thing. Now if it's offered as a home made something special, and I find out that it's not, I still may buy it again if I liked it the first time, but I would question what else the place was trying to pass off as it's own.

medic92
06-06-2018, 08:50 PM
I've been looking into a good sausage to add to our menu, but it's going to have to be store-bought because I don't have the time or willingness to make my own. So far I can't find anything that's low cost enough for me to be able to cook and mark up without making it ridiculous.

As to restaurants using store-bought foods, I know of a barbecue joint around here that orders their brisket already smoked and sliced. They just thaw it out, reheat it and serve it as their own. They also claim to make their own sauce but it's just Cattleman's taken straight out of the bottle.

Beware of your food delivery drivers, they talk to each other and to other customers and will tell everyone your dirty little secrets!

Czarbecue
06-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Is the ready to eat brisket the Sadler's brand? I've used those before for nachos.

16Adams
06-06-2018, 09:00 PM
I’m not fond of sausage with a bologna texture. I usually find coarse texture in raw sausage that you cook yourself. I like a coarse texture-unsweet. I try everything I can get my hands on. I have my preferences like everyone else. Johnsonville raw is pretty good IMHO. Perfect, I don’t know what perfect is. It’s available everywhere Given a choice between raw or presmoked I will usually pick raw and cook it myself. Various methods. Conecuh is impressive.

Pre smoked has its place too

TravelingJ
06-06-2018, 09:09 PM
I've never really thought about it, for sausages. I do enjoy some of the restaurants that claim things area all made in house.

Our favorite bar in San Diego has beer battered fries that we have been getting every time, for probably the past 6 years. Then one day we went inside for another brew, and they were unloading the food delivery, and we saw a giant box of frozen beer battered fries. It did take a bit of the charm out of them...but we still order a basket every time we are back in town.

Czarbecue
06-07-2018, 08:18 AM

That does cross my mind when I'm ordering food at a restaurant, but I'm there more because I want someone else to do the cooking than I am to eat something I cant do myself at home.

What has been elusive for me is Churchís jalapeŮo cheese bombers or Chicken Express cheese poppers. They are deep fried diced peppers in cheese rather than whole peppers with cheese.

Damn, did any of that make sense?

Walmart has some off brand with an odd taste but if RD has them Iíll gladly pay for a membership.

Smoke Dad
06-08-2018, 10:19 AM
I love to cook sausage on the grill. Never made any from scratch tho..It wouldnít matter to me if a bbq joint made them or bought and then cooked them.. as long as they are good ! Problem is, most restaurants Big or small are so commercial and focused on Money that there is no real concern for quality. Employees are treated like crap so it reflects in the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cook
06-08-2018, 10:34 AM
What has been elusive for me is Churchís jalapeŮo cheese bombers or Chicken Express cheese poppers. They are deep fried diced peppers in cheese rather than whole peppers with cheese.

Damn, did any of that make sense?

Walmart has some off brand with an odd taste but if RD has them Iíll gladly pay for a membership.

Many chains have specific items made for them and carry their own label. Those bombers and poppers are likely such items. You won't find those at RD or Sam's. They are only available to the stores through their chosen vendor.

Huskres
06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Not a fan of Echrich at all! That's like the Yugo of sausage!

Spelled it wrong! I work for them and some of the recipes could sure use updating. The 4pepper is damn good if you can find it though. Better to smoke them and not grill as it seems to sweat some of the grease out.

Czarbecue
06-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Spelled it wrong! I work for them and some of the recipes could sure use updating. The 4pepper is damn good if you can find it though. Better to smoke them and not grill as it seems to sweat some of the grease out.

I actually like the Eckrich jalopeno cheddar sausage... especially in a kolache that is so abundant in Texas. I went to several doughnut places here in Georgia and was surprised it was not available. Keep forgetting the Czech/German influences in Texas may not follow me to Georgia.

Huskres
06-08-2018, 05:18 PM
I actually like the Eckrich jalopeno cheddar sausage... especially in a kolache that is so abundant in Texas. I went to several doughnut places here in Georgia and was surprised it was not available. Keep forgetting the Czech/German influences in Texas may not follow me to Georgia.

Super easy to make at home. Either buy the rope and make a huge one or use the links. If the donut shops offered them in Georgia they would sell a ton.

medic92
06-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Is the ready to eat brisket the Sadler's brand? I've used those before for nachos.

No, it's an Austin Blues brand, sold by Sysco.