PDA

View Full Version : Got a new gasser

Mikhail
06-06-2018, 05:47 AM
Well, not new - a two year old Broil King Signet 320, with cover. On Craigslist for $80, everything works, in excellent shape. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

https://crdms.images.consumerreports.org/w_598,h_436/prod/products/cr/models/389020-gasgrills-broilking-signet320986854item758098lowes.jpg

Blizzard
06-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Ok, first, congratulations. Secondly, why buy a used grill? I see many people here buy used grills. I assume you already had at least one grill. Did this one have something you needed? I’m not being critical, I just honestly had no idea there was such a big market for used grills.

I feel bad now, recently I put my Weber performer out to the curb for bulk trash. The one with propane assisted lighting. I was using the lid on my fire pit, and all the crates were rusted beyond saving, the propane assist didn’t work, and in general it was at the end of it’s life. BUT, someone picked it up, scrap metal I would bet...

Stlsportster
06-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Ok, first, congratulations. Secondly, why buy a used grill? I see many people here buy used grills. I assume you already had at least one grill. Did this one have something you needed? I’m not being critical, I just honestly had no idea there was such a big market for used grills.

I feel bad now, recently I put my Weber performer out to the curb for bulk trash. The one with propane assisted lighting. I was using the lid on my fire pit, and all the crates were rusted beyond saving, the propane assist didn’t work, and in general it was at the end of it’s life. BUT, someone picked it up, scrap metal I would bet...

So that Weber Performer is $300 new. You can buy new grates for under $50 and it will last another 5 years....even without the propane assist its worth something!

There are lots of threads in this forum where guys picked up a cheap performer, gave it a little TLC and continued to put out great food...

LloydQ
06-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Nice score, Mikhail! I had a Huntington ( BK's budget line ) very similar to that, and it really cooked well. The cast aluminum top tore at one of the hinges, and customer service was top notch. Had a replacement within a week for a reaonable shipping charge.

Rib Rub
06-06-2018, 08:51 AM
I just watched a commercial for a Napoleon gas grill and the thing looks incredible. However I am done with gas. I use the pellet grill for everything now. Takes a little bit longer, but everything turns out much better. I have a Weber Genesis, paid like $900 for it when they were new on the scene and it is the biggest piece of junk. Living on the ocean, gas grills are disposable. I mean you try and cover them but you forget to secure the cover and a nor easter hits and your cover is gone. I usually get 2 seasons out of the burners. I thought with the Genesis that it would last longer than the cheap grills, but it is just the same. I have already replaced the burners twice and they are in need of replacement again. Not to mention I cannot control the flames, everything gets scorched that I put on it, just a piece of junk. Nothing gets scorched on my pellet.

Mikhail
06-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Why? Because while my Broil Mate works fine it is 10 years old and has never been covered. Eventually it will go. Why this one? Because it is a much better version of what I have now and I got 80% of the life for 17% of the price.

NickTheGreat
06-06-2018, 08:58 AM
So that Weber Performer is $300 new. You can buy new grates for under $50 and it will last another 5 years....even without the propane assist its worth something!

There are lots of threads in this forum where guys picked up a cheap performer, gave it a little TLC and continued to put out great food...

That was me last year. I found a pretty dirty Performer on the curb just down the street from me. New grates and a little TLC and it's good as new. The table is cracked, but I'll replace that with a nice wood one when time allows.

bobaftt
06-06-2018, 10:08 AM
I love a good curb find. Performers are a delight. I keep kicking around the idea of finding a performer to steal the table from for my WSM. Don't judge my grill hoarding!

ChrisBarb
06-06-2018, 11:51 AM
@Mikhail, Broil King makes great grills. Nice find!

SmittyJonz
06-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Score.!

worktogthr
06-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Buying used grills is an addiction... I have about 15 in my yard (probably 14 used), have a Shirley 24x60 on order and I'm still perusing facebook marketplace, craigslist, offerup, letgo. In the last ten minutes I made an offer on a WSM 22 with a bunch of supplies, inquired about a free Masterbuilt electric, and sent someone a message about a Weber Summit Propane. If you are like me, you like to mess around with all different cookers or if you have a little patience to clean them up, do so and re-sell them. Besides, like said above, I have purchased $300 cookers on craigslist in great condition for around $50. Weber Kettles for $15, etc etc. I love gifting them to friends to get them into this hobby.

Oh boy... just messaged someone about a $50 blackstone pizza oven, which I already once had and sold...$50 hard to resist...even though it does look a bit like it got partially run over by a truck.

Demosthenes9
06-06-2018, 01:56 PM

One small correction. Unless you are lucky, the gas assist Performers start at $400 :-) If the gas assist goes out, it's usually just an alignment problem with the igniter electrode and the path of the gas flow. Worst case, it's a $20 or so fix to replace the regulator. As you said, new grates are under $50. I'll take free Perfomers all day!!

Mikhail, congrats on the new grill !!

LloydQ
06-06-2018, 03:50 PM
One small correction. Unless you are lucky, the gas assist Performers start at $400 :-) If the gas assist goes out, it's usually just an alignment problem with the igniter electrode and the path of the gas flow. Worst case, it's a $20 or so fix to replace the regulator. As you said, new grates are under $50. I'll take free Perfomers all day!!

Mikhail, congrats on the new grill !!

Please expound on that ignitor problem. I got a 2 year old Performer at Christmas for $50, and that is the only thing wrong with it. I can light it with a match, but why if I can fix it?

cowgirl
06-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Congrats! Nice score.

farmer-fred
06-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Nothing wrong with a used grill if you get it for a good price or better yet free. If you can get a couple of years of use out of it all the better. I have a gasser and I only use it a few times a year but when I need it sure is nice to have around. Biggest thing is learning how to make good Que on what you have available to use. Congrats on a great deal.

Mikhail
06-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Fred. I use mine a lot for after work meals or quick cooking. For Q I use the PK.

I just lugged the thing up on my deck and the grease pan dropped out - I looked at the rust on that thing and said 'no way this thing is only two years old!'. So I got the serial number and called Onward and sure enough, made in 2015. I guess it's just a crummy grease pan. No problem.

Wish my bride would get home so we can set it up and grill this big hunk of salmon.

Whitewookie
06-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Nice score. I wish I had bought a Broil King instead of the Weber Spirit I got, and I’m a Weber man. Now limited to charcoal.

VR
Harold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Demosthenes9
06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Please expound on that ignitor problem. I got a 2 year old Performer at Christmas for $50, and that is the only thing wrong with it. I can light it with a match, but why if I can fix it?

One of these two photos should be like your Performer.

http://www.bbqdryrubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Ignition-side-view.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151228/9916c782e95c111084dce2d7b2439594.jpg

In both photos, gas comes out of the orifice at the end of the hose and goes into the air mixing tube. The electrode of the ignitor comes up from the bottom into this tube. First, you have to make sure that the electrode/igniter is generating a spark. If it is, you then have to make sure that the flow of gas passes through where the spark is occurring. In the 2nd photo, see thecube at the end of the hose and the brass fitting with the nut ? If you look on top where the fitting connects to the silver tube, there's a spring clip that holds the fitting in and aligns the orifice (and the flow of gas). Wiggle it around while pressing the igniter button and you can usually get it to fire up again.

BTW, this presumes that the igniter itself is not a problem, either from a rusted out electrode or an unplugged or broken wire.

JEStucker
06-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Awesome score...
My last gas burner was a freebie... a friend managed to win a new one at Lowes, so gave me the old one, I've run it through 3 sets of burners and it's pretty well done for now... fortunately I have another friend wanting to give me their old grill. They became empty nesters and have a much smaller grill that suits the two of them just fine... I just need a truck to get it home.

Mikhail
06-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Good deal. Cooked a nice piece of salmon on it tonight. Runs beautifully and has superb searing ability.

Ole Man Dan
06-07-2018, 12:27 PM
I love a good curb find. Performers are a delight. I keep kicking around the idea of finding a performer to steal the table from for my WSM. Don't judge my grill hoarding!

I have rebuilt several Webers. A trip to Walmart and to Lowes and a little elbow grease and they are good to go.
Curb finds means the price is right.