PDA

View Full Version : Am I wasting rub on spatchcock chix skin?

HouseDoc
06-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Yesterday, I smoked 8 whole chickens, spatchcock style on my WSM. 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. My wife pulls the chicken off the bones but we don't use the skin. I used about a half bottle of Plowboy's Yardbird covering the birds up. Both sides. I also injected with butter and chicken broth.
They taste great but I would like opinions on if the seasoning on top of the skin is really doing any good. For years I added fruit and seasoning to my water pan before realizing it was as good with just water for a bit of moisture.
Tks for opinions,

Joshw
06-05-2018, 03:27 PM
I never season chicken skin. If you are careful, you can run your fingers under the skin, and separate it from the meat. Season the meat then put the skin back in place.

bschoen
06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
^^^What Joshw said. Season between the skin and the flesh.

dadsr4
06-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Here is how I do it. You still get the advantage of the fat under the skin keeping things moist, while putting the rub on the meat.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218222

TravelingJ
06-05-2018, 11:40 PM
I tend to smoke chicken in batches, like you did. I never season it, because I then portion and freeze it to be used in meals later. The smokiness adds to other dishes, but I don't always need a rub that might interfere.