PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Cooker, Brown Recluse Spider 🕷 Leftoverís

16Adams
06-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Iíve kind of migrated to my smaller cookers. I even find the PBC rather large. Attempting to cook fresh smoked/ grilled tasty foods on a smaller scale. One rack of ribs, one small pork butt, 1 pan meatloaf etc etc. trying not always succeeding. Went and kicked the tires on a GMG Davy Crockett. Man thatís small, like perfect for a rack, a tri tip. A small shoulder. Reviews are kind of scattered.

Found 3 Brown Recluse spiders , two behind washing machine one in closet. Exterminator has come and went. Spray, powders and aerosol in a few places. He said every house he goes to has them.

Rode bike 1:20 96* heat. Felt good to sweat.

Leftover baby Backs for lunch.

robert-r
06-05-2018, 02:00 PM
My dad got bit by one of those. Had a sore on his leg that wouldn't heal. Went to the Dr and the diagnosis was brown recluse bite. This happened in Wyoming. They wintered around McAllen, TX. One must have rode home with them.

Good looking lunch.

fwiw - you might consider the 14" WSM. Uses very little fuel. Small and light weight. Great little cooker.

16Adams
06-05-2018, 02:11 PM
He sprayed interior-exterior-attic and storage buildings. I check the sticky traps every day. They just showed up. He was telling me that without fail people in my part of the world swear they don’t have spiders. He will give them a sticky trap and tell them where to place them and within a week the people call and ask him to spray.

16Adams
06-05-2018, 02:13 PM
My dad got bit by one of those. Had a sore on his leg that wouldn't heal. Went to the Dr and the diagnosis was brown recluse bite. This happened in Wyoming. They wintered around McAllen, TX. One must have rode home with them.

Good looking lunch.

fwiw - you might consider the 14" WSM. Uses very little fuel. Small and light weight. Great little cooker.

I actually have the 14.5 WSM, NIB. $49 closeout at Walmart couple years ago. My Tiernan SOB is a 24Ē internal firebox. Itís been getting a workout :-)

Norm
06-05-2018, 04:02 PM
We have them here but they are not common to find, nasty bite though.

It's been hot and humid here lately. 90's and high humidity make it rough by the end of the day. Had some Dr appointments so I kept cool but hay is ready to go so back to sweating... :)

16Adams
06-05-2018, 04:13 PM
If interested find the glue traps and place them against baseboards in closet corners, utility room corners and near front and back doors. The Recluse is a night feeder, doesn’t really spin a web, but rather a nest. Farkers

https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3003/

http://www.herbsandoilsworld.com/how-to-keep-spiders-out-of-your-home-with-peppermint-oil/

kevinstaggs
06-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Here in OK we have fiddlebacks everywhere. Spray some TempoSC (Bayer product). Itís the best Iíve found. You can mix it and spray inside and around the outside of your house. The recluses are kinda hard to kill but a treatment or two will get them. Tons cheaper than commercial.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wihint
06-05-2018, 06:02 PM
We are blessed with the brown recluse, black widow, tarantulas and for the bonus 4 types of scorpion. We have the bug guys out here every month for our house in the city and twice a month for the ranch.

sleebus.jones
06-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Went and kicked the tires on a GMG Davy Crockett. Man thatís small, like perfect for a rack, a tri tip. A small shoulder. Reviews are kind of scattered.

The DC was my first pellet cooker and I've had many, many good meals off of it. Feel free to ask any questions, but I don't think you'd be disappointed. It's a perfect size for cooking for 2.

aerotech11
06-05-2018, 06:32 PM
We are blessed with the brown recluse, black widow, tarantulas and for the bonus 4 types of scorpion. We have the bug guys out here every month for our house in the city and twice a month for the ranch.

Donít forget the rattlesnakes that show up every now and again.

wihint
06-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Donít forget the rattlesnakes that show up every now and again.

And gila monsters along with appearance of undocumented aliens at our place, love this place!:blabla:

aerotech11
06-05-2018, 06:45 PM
And gila monsters along with appearance of undocumented aliens at our place, love this place!:blabla:

You must have a place down south then. We donít get the undocumented kind in these parts.

BillN
06-05-2018, 07:25 PM
And to think I thought we were going to see a plate of apple wood smoked spiders. Yup in my neck of the woods we have all kinds of critters that have the potential to kill us or at least cause great discomfort. :razz: