PDA

View Full Version : Crab cake recipe?

scotts1919
06-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Morning all. I picked up some lump crab and I want to recreate some crab cakes I had out in MD. Anybody have a good recipe that limits the filler and focuses on the crab?

Thanks

cholloway
06-05-2018, 08:39 AM
I've used this one before...

https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/main-dishes/old-bay-crab-cakes

scotts1919
06-05-2018, 08:48 AM
I've used this one before...

https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/main-dishes/old-bay-crab-cakes

Great. Thank you!

Mason Dixon Bowhunta
06-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Basically the recipe I use, but instead of bread crumble up about 10 saltines (for 1 lb of meat) and soak them in milk until they turn to mush. Squeeze out the excess milk and add to the crab meat. Gives a better flavor and also you don't have to worry about chunks of bread in the cakes. I also add a little bit of lemon juice and worchestershire sauce.

wbratt1
06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Agree with above - I'm from Maryland and we don't put anything other than 1 slice of bread or several saltines per lb of lump, mayo, salt, and pepper in our crab cakes. We cook them in a pan with a generous amount of butter and the star is definitely the crab meat.

IamMadMan
06-05-2018, 07:11 PM
OLDBAY CRAB CAKES

2 slices bread, crusts removed
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon baking powder 1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon OLD BAY seasoning
1 pound crab meat

Break bread into small pieces and moisten with milk. Add remaining ingredients; shape into cakes. Fry or broil until golden brown.

J.O. No. 1 CRAB CAKES

1 pound crab meat (backfin or lump)
1 teaspoon J.O. No. 1 seasoning
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg beaten well
2 slices of bread

Remove crusts from bread and break into small pieces and moisten slightly with milk. Mix all ingredients and shape into cakes. Fry quickly until brown.

BOOKBINDERS CRAB CAKES

1 tablespoon green pepper
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 tablespoon celery
1 tablespoon pimiento
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
2 eggs, beaten
Bread crumbs

Mix vegetables and seasonings. Cook in butter on low heat for 10 minutes. Add flour and stir to blend well. Add milk and crab and mix. Chill and form into cakes, Salt and Pepper to taste dip
into egg and then into bread crumbs, and fry until golden brown.

VIRGINIA CRAB CAKES

2 cups backfin crab meat
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons grated onion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
a dash of hot sauce to taste

In a bowl, combine crab meat and bread crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs well and add cream, whisking. Add cream mixture, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, onion and salt and pepper to taste to crab mixture and combine well.

In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and into it drop half of crab mixture by tablespoons. Cook crab cakes until golden brown, about 2
minutes, on each side, and repeat with remaining tablespoon butter and crab mixture. Serve crab cakes warm.

CRAB CAKES WITH RED BELL PEPPER

1/2 pound lump crab meat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 hard-boiled egg chopped fine
1/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

In a bowl combine the crab meat, the salt, and black pepper to taste. In a small saucepan cook the bell pepper in 3 tablespoons of the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is
softened. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lemon juice, the beaten egg, and the Worcestershire sauce, and stir the mixture into the crab meat. Add the chopped hard-boiled egg and the bread crumbs, combine the mixture gently but thoroughly, and form it into 4 patties, each about 1/2 inch thick.
In a large heavy skillet heat the oil with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides and in the fat sauté the crab cakes, turning them carefully, for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crisp. Serve the crab cakes with the lemon wedges, the remaining hard-boiled egg, and the tartar sauce.