PDA

View Full Version : Small big green egg or Akron jr?

Cub
06-04-2018, 09:59 PM
I can buy a used bge for 200 dollars or Akron jr for 150. Anyone have any experience with any of these two. Getting it for the camper do I can smoke while camping

frognot
06-04-2018, 10:57 PM
The BGE. That's a great deal.

Akorn Jr is more portable. I bought one last fall for less than fifty dollars so 150 seems high to me.

cookingdude555
06-05-2018, 12:30 AM
I had the small for a very long time, I sold it last summer to get a mini max. I did have issues getting it to hotter temps, it was more finicky than my other eggs. However I did love the egg, and if space wasn't an issue I would still have it today. $200 is a great deal for one, I would not let that slip. I sold mine for $300 I believe.

Regarding the Akorn jr. I have one, and I think I paid $37 for it at walmart last summer with their closeout. It is a fine kamado cooker, especially for traveling. I would think you could get one for cheaper than $150 however.

North Is Up
06-05-2018, 01:53 AM
I have an XL BGE and a small. I love the XL and dislike the small. It just doesn't have the charcoal capacity for a long cook. I use it for steaks, small chickens and burgers. It is problematic, as cookingdude mentioned, to get it up to high temps, but 350 or so is satisfactory. When the top opens up for anything, it takes a while to get back up to temp. The XL can get up high pizza temps.
I don't know about the Akorn, but I can't recommend the BGE small. YMMV.

locosmoke
06-05-2018, 05:32 AM
Love my akorn jr very portable I have brought mine to Mardi Gras parades. I paid $150 when I got mine but that was when they first came out and have seen them way cheaper. I also use it a lot when just cooking for wife and myself. I have no experience with small egg but I didn’t buy one because of weight and the fact that porcelin is fragile not to mention price difference.

16Adams
06-05-2018, 07:24 AM
BGE-Mini
BGE-Mini Max
BGE-Small

Any of these will easily provide 200$ of quality cooks. As will the small Akorn.

Me?? I’d buy the BGE-Small now. I’d wait till the season closeout and buy the Akorn under 50$

Hoggie-rx
06-05-2018, 07:28 AM
I have both. If you are strictly wanting a portable one to use camping, get the acorn (but I wouldn’t pay $150 for it). That small egg is a good deal for $200 though. The egg is the better cooker but its just not very portable.

miked125
06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
I would get the akorn for the portability...

WeberWho
06-05-2018, 10:41 AM
The small is a fantastic grill. Especially paired up with a bigger grill/smoker. $200 is a steal. Jump before it's gone! You won't regret it.

tenpenny_05
06-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Don't get the egg if you expect any kind of portability out of it. Its just not easy. Even the mini and the minimax sized eggs arent what I would consider portable.

$200 is a great deal for the mini egg though, $150 is too high for the akorn. Have you considered a weber jumbo joe? Its probably the best portable grill for the money.

R2Egg2Q
06-05-2018, 02:32 PM
BGE-Mini
BGE-Mini Max
BGE-Small

Any of these will easily provide 200$ of quality cooks. As will the small Akorn.

Me?? Iíd buy the BGE-Small now. Iíd wait till the season closeout and buy the Akorn under 50$

I agree with this. I regularly use my Small Egg as a single butt smoker on a single load of lump. For high temps, mine tops out in the 500-525 range. Iíve taken mine on the road before but it isnít the most portable.

I have no experience cooking with an Akorn Jr but getting one on an end of season close out would look very good.

Tioga
06-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Definitely the Akorn Jr if you want to transport it. I love mine and it holds low temps for many hours. I see no advantage to a ceramic but many advantages to the excellent Akorn Jr.

damascusmaker
06-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Akorn jr, here is a near 13+ hour Boston Butt on mine https://myflameboss.com/cooks/122521?historical=1

Use it a lot. Killer for smaller pizzas or grilling burgers, an hour later you can use it as a smoker.

hachi-roku_fan
06-05-2018, 09:22 PM
I have a Kamado Joe Joe Jr and love it. Did a 11 hour pork butt on it and still had some lump left. I probably could've gone 12-13 hours. Pretty constant temps, food came out great too. One of the moistest pork butts I've ever made.