PDA

View Full Version : Why do we...?

Whitewookie
06-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Call our cookers pits? Silly question maybe, but a WSM or even a Shirley trailer rig clearly isn’t a pit.

A hole in the ground is a pit.

Don’t get me wrong... I do it to.

VR
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hurricanedavid
06-04-2018, 06:57 PM
The place down stairs where I take a sh$t is called a bathroom. No tub nor shower.....

Whitewookie
06-04-2018, 07:03 PM
The place down stairs where I take a sh$t is called a bathroom. No tub nor shower.....

Another good question.... like the old “Why do we drive on the parkway, but park on the driveway?”....

But this is a semi-serious question. I’m interested in the history of the term “BBQ pit” and how it came to be applied to the cookers we use.

VR,
Harold.

JEStucker
06-04-2018, 07:35 PM
I think, and I may be wrong, that it originated from the days before refrigeration... that use it or lose it method of preserving meat when an animal was slaughtered. They would dig a pit, fill it with wood, let it burn down to coals, and wrap the animal they wanted cooked in wet cloth and lay it in on the coals, then bury it and dig it up the next day. Not sure where what we do became "Pit" BBQ, but I've seen true pits still in use all across Texas and the south.
Modernization and wanting the ability to cook smaller portions at home probably lead to the home "pit" sometime after the 1900's and maybe the baby boomer era was the real trigger, as it launched the backyard grilling craze....

Don't know if I'm right, but it's my thoughts...

Rockinar
06-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Why do they call them apartments when they are all together?

Why do they call it a hamburger when its beef?

azken
06-04-2018, 10:42 PM
And why do they call it chicken fried steak and when you cut into it it's beef?? Pisses me off.

el luchador
06-04-2018, 11:09 PM
easier to type "pit" on a tiny phone, than "side offset stick burner" or direct over the coals charcoal burning drum" :-D

Whitewookie
06-05-2018, 03:06 AM
I think, and I may be wrong, that it originated from the days before refrigeration... that use it or lose it method of preserving meat when an animal was slaughtered. They would dig a pit, fill it with wood, let it burn down to coals, and wrap the animal they wanted cooked in wet cloth and lay it in on the coals, then bury it and dig it up the next day. Not sure where what we do became "Pit" BBQ, but I've seen true pits still in use all across Texas and the south.
Modernization and wanting the ability to cook smaller portions at home probably lead to the home "pit" sometime after the 1900's and maybe the baby boomer era was the real trigger, as it launched the backyard grilling craze....

Don't know if I'm right, but it's my thoughts...

Thanks for the info...

VR
Harold

IamMadMan
06-05-2018, 04:15 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_barbecue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_oven

BillATL
06-05-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm sure it's a holdover from when people dug holes for their fires. Once a name is attached, it sticks.

Was walking through an antique shop and showed my kids an old rotary phone and how you turned the finger wheel to 'dial' the phone. My kids looked at me with a revelation: "That's why you call it 'dialing' a number..."

cowgirl
06-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Call our cookers pits? Silly question maybe, but a WSM or even a Shirley trailer rig clearly isn’t a pit.

A hole in the ground is a pit.

Don’t get me wrong... I do it to.

VR
Harold

I grew up in an area ( and still live in an area) where "pits" are holes and trenches in the ground. The homebuilt pipe and metal cookers are referred to as "horizontal wood burners" and sometimes smokers... or vertical wood burners or smokers. No one refers to them as "pits".
I refer to most of my equipment as "cookers". The drums are outdoor cookers, the block pit is a block pit, the horizontal woodburner is just that, a horizontal wood burner. The only "pit" I use is in the ground.

Just how I was raised and what the old timers taught me.

Bob Wiley
06-05-2018, 02:08 PM
I call it a pit because I'm a BBQ Pitriot.
And, I put my hand over my heart when I see Thin Blue.

Joe Black
06-05-2018, 03:17 PM
My wife uses a gas grill on the deck.
I have a Weber kettle grill.
I also have an offset horizontal stick burner that I call a cooker.

FYI, my mother in law is the pits.

16Adams
06-05-2018, 03:43 PM
I have cookers that I cook on.
I either grill or smoke on my cookers.

Even The Bride says, “which cooker are you going to use”

dgaddis1
06-05-2018, 04:04 PM
I'm sure it's a holdover from when people dug holes for their fires. Once a name is attached, it sticks.

Was walking through an antique shop and showed my kids an old rotary phone and how you turned the finger wheel to 'dial' the phone. My kids looked at me with a revelation: "That's why you call it 'dialing' a number..."

Two other, both from the automotive world:

Rolling down a window, and stepping on the gas.

frognot
06-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Gotta have a pit to be a pitmaster.

Bob Wiley
06-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Gotta have a pit to be a pitmaster.

Pitmaster is insensitive to those of us who have not been the beneficiaries of pit privilege our whole lives.

Pit tender might be more appropriate. Or pit facilitator.