PDA

View Full Version : how well do pellet cookers maintain temp?

el luchador
06-04-2018, 10:50 AM
bbq is very flexible, as long as we are cooking within a range, its all good.

but I have heard that pellet cookers maintain temp quite well.

How well? anyone have any data?

thanks

OklaDustDevil
06-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Anecdotally, mine seems to stay within +- 5-10 degrees of the set temp, but I've always used the cooker's own thermostat reading. So I've never measured it or tracked it over time using a separate thermometer or recording device.

I will say my long cooks, like pork butt for instance, seem so far to take substantially less time than they did on my stickburner, which I attribute to more consistent temp throughout the cook.

olddawg
06-04-2018, 11:35 AM
I agree+5 OR 10 degrees most I evr seen was 15 degree swing which I think is tolerable

DMosher
06-04-2018, 11:46 AM
My MAK 2 star stays within +/- 5 degrees. I have tracked it with my Smoke, it is pretty rock solid at staying on temp that it is set at.

gtsum
06-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Memphis stays within 2-3 degrees...the yoder would vary a good bit...25 degree swing or so

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mowin
06-04-2018, 01:41 PM
My GMG stays within 10-15*. I do keep the winter cover on it yr round tho.

el luchador
06-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Anecdotally, mine seems to stay within +- 5-10 degrees of the set temp, but I've always used the cooker's own thermostat reading. So I've never measured it or tracked it over time using a separate thermometer or recording device.

I will say my long cooks, like pork butt for instance, seem so far to take substantially less time than they did on my stickburner, which I attribute to more consistent temp throughout the cook.

thats interesting on the cook time. I have the same experience with my kettle vs the uds. the kettle(cooking direct over the coals) cooks significantly faster even at the same pit temp.

I would like to understand the science behind this.

el luchador
06-04-2018, 02:37 PM
My MAK 2 star stays within +/- 5 degrees. I have tracked it with my Smoke, it is pretty rock solid at staying on temp that it is set at.

if you ever feel like tracking it with the smoke and posting the data, that would be appreciated

Burnt at Both Endz
06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
thats interesting on the cook time. I have the same experience with my kettle vs the uds. the kettle(cooking direct over the coals) cooks significantly faster even at the same pit temp.

I would like to understand the science behind this.

I've always been under the impression that pellet grills cause convection cooking because of the fan, which causes faster cooking times?

olddawg
06-04-2018, 02:53 PM
yes pellet grill are using the fan to even distribute the heat

el luchador
06-04-2018, 04:56 PM
http://www.genuineideas.com/Assets/imageassets/sponge-with-convection-fan.png

hmm. thats interesting. convection does cook faster. but I thought all smokers were a form of convection since there is so much air exchange in a smoker. maybe the fan based pellet cooker has more air exchanges than a typical smoker?

Millnate
06-04-2018, 05:37 PM
I have a Texas Elite 34 that swings pretty bad at 225. Seems higher temps are easier to maintain... even Traeger support has told me ď225 is the hardest to maintain.Ē New temp probes and augers have not evened things out. I use an independent probe at the grate that has read temps up close to 300 if not over when set at 225. The grillís temp reading showed about 25-30 degrees lower (270ish), but thatís still too far above 225 for my tastes. In the summer time I usually manipulate the computer to keep it closer to 225.... so it can definitely be done but itís not quite set and forget. Winter time is much more difficult which I contribute to the thin steal construction.

Im not trying to hate on it - it broke me into the hobby. But that has been my experience and itís been less than desired at that price range. Some folks have told me that the temps rise and fall and even out at the set temp, but in my opinion thatís not useful when it really spikes and burns the sugar in my rub.

Iím in the market for a smoker to replace it. I have my eyes on a Stumpís Baby XL. Hopefully soon!

Coat
06-04-2018, 06:48 PM
A pellet cooker has got a lot of velocity. Not sure about volume. And not sure which is the key variable.

As far as holding temps--Mine held temps really tight but it wouldn't always hit the RIGHT TEMP. It may be off by 15 degrees, but it would hold that within 5 degrees really tight.

el luchador
06-05-2018, 07:11 AM
I have a Texas Elite 34 that swings pretty bad at 225. Seems higher temps are easier to maintain... even Traeger support has told me ď225 is the hardest to maintain.Ē New temp probes and augers have not evened things out. I use an independent probe at the grate that has read temps up close to 300 if not over when set at 225. The grillís temp reading showed about 25-30 degrees lower (270ish), but thatís still too far above 225 for my tastes. In the summer time I usually manipulate the computer to keep it closer to 225.... so it can definitely be done but itís not quite set and forget. Winter time is much more difficult which I contribute to the thin steal construction.

Im not trying to hate on it - it broke me into the hobby. But that has been my experience and itís been less than desired at that price range. Some folks have told me that the temps rise and fall and even out at the set temp, but in my opinion thatís not useful when it really spikes and burns the sugar in my rub.

Iím in the market for a smoker to replace it. I have my eyes on a Stumpís Baby XL. Hopefully soon!

if you get a charcoal cooker, definitely look into a controller for it. it makes bbq trivially easy.

I use a heater meter, and even with lump charcoal, temps will usually not vary more than +-5 degrees. this is quite a feat as lump can be very inconsistent.

last cook i did
https://i.imgur.com/BZnVIl5.png

barrettd
06-05-2018, 07:13 AM

If you're interested in keeping the Traeger, look at the Savannah Stoker controller. It is the only reason I've kept my Traeger. The thing runs like a champ now.

LordRiffenstein
06-05-2018, 07:39 AM
My Traeger can have pretty large swings at times and indeed 225F seems to be hardest temp to hold BUT when I used my fireboard to check the temp for a long cook (pulled pork), the average temp at the end of the cook was spot on.

OklaDustDevil
06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
I've always been under the impression that pellet grills cause convection cooking because of the fan, which causes faster cooking times?

I do not believe that is the intention. The fan in a pellet smoker is placed and intended to blow air thru the burn pot to accelerate the pellets burning. My understanding is the fan in a convection oven is placed and intended to evenly distribute the heat throughout the oven.

I suppose on any given pellet smoker, fan placement and internal layout might enable the fan also to cause more even distribution of heat, even though that is not its primary purpose. But I understand pellet smokers with an end-to-end layout, like a Yoder, with the burn pot at one end and smoke stack at the other, still have a temp gradient from one end to another just like a stickburner.

So my assumption is a pellet smoker does not act like a convection oven, but perhaps there are folks on here with more expertise in that regard than me?

Ron_L
06-05-2018, 11:17 AM
My Traeger can have pretty large swings at times and indeed 225F seems to be hardest temp to hold BUT when I used my fireboard to check the temp for a long cook (pulled pork), the average temp at the end of the cook was spot on.

Yep... Any cooker will have swings, so what really matters is the average temp. My FEC-100 can very by 20 degrees or so depending on if it is feeding pellets or not, but I could never tell the difference in the food.

Ron_L
06-05-2018, 11:19 AM
I do not believe that is the intention. The fan in a pellet smoker is placed and intended to blow air thru the burn pot to accelerate the pellets burning. My understanding is the fan in a convection oven is placed and intended to evenly distribute the heat throughout the oven.

I suppose on any given pellet smoker, fan placement and internal layout might enable the fan also to cause more even distribution of heat, even though that is not its primary purpose. But I understand pellet smokers with an end-to-end layout, like a Yoder, with the burn pot at one end and smoke stack at the other, still have a temp gradient from one end to another just like a stickburner.

So my assumption is a pellet smoker does not act like a convection oven, but perhaps there are folks on here with more expertise in that regard than me?

I agree, for the most part. Yes, the fan is there to provide air to the fire, but my FEC-100 did cook food faster that other vertical style cookers, so I think that there maybe some convection involved, but that is a by-product, not specifically designed in.

Dweverett
06-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Mine is generally within 5 degrees. It can be less stable at low temps on warm sunny days. Struggles when it’s close to cooking temps before it starts the fire

smokeswirl
06-06-2018, 01:02 PM
bbq is very flexible, as long as we are cooking within a range, its all good.

but I have heard that pellet cookers maintain temp quite well.

How well? anyone have any data?

thanks

Totally depends on the pellet grill. Dont expect the cheapest to hold rock solid. they will swing +/- 25 degrees or more. the higher end will in be +/- 10 to 15 degrees. Top end will be +/- single digits.

It has to do with the build of the pit and quality of the controller. More you spend better both the build and controller will be

Also ambient temps and wind will really mess with the stability as well

electron_si
06-06-2018, 10:12 PM
If you're interested in keeping the Traeger, look at the Savannah Stoker controller. It is the only reason I've kept my Traeger. The thing runs like a champ now.

X2 on this. My savannah stoker is a rockstar. My wife even loves to use the traeger.