PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiin grilled chicken ideas

sudsandswine
06-04-2018, 10:38 AM
My wife is obsessed with chicken quesadillas from this local fast food joint. I went a picked one up for her yesterday for the first time and watched them grilling up the chicken breast to slice. I tried a little bit and it had kind of a Hawaiin flavor to it with just a little heat on the back side.

On a semi related note, I caught some show on Food Network or something a week or two ago about a chicken stand in Hawaii so I have been wanting to try something similar since.

Anyone got some input on what to marinade/season the chicken breast with? I was thinking pineapple juice and soy sauce would be involved, probably some garlic, and maybe a little chili powder or cayenne to balance the sweet. Not really after a "teriyaki" flavor just some citrus sweet and some heat.

HankB
06-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Citrus => lime juice.

I'd avoid chili powder due to the cumin and stick with a little cayenne or perhaps (very little) habanero.

I'm not sure if it is Hawaiian or not but I'm in 100% agreement on the garlic. :thumb:

sudsandswine
06-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Yeah, to clarify it wasnt straight up hawaiin....maybe a cross between that and Mexican flavors.

I may give this one a whirl....just adapt it for chicken breasts.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/hawaiian-huli-huli-grilled-chicken-wings-recipe.html

Rockinar
06-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Hawaiians typically do "Huli Huli Chicken". Look at some Youtube videos and get some ideas.

Bear's BBQ
06-04-2018, 12:40 PM
I lived in Hawaii for a few moons and the better half lived there for 30 uears. Huli huli or teriyaki is the way to go. find aloha brand marinades online.

SmokinJohn
06-04-2018, 01:24 PM
"Hawaiian" does not equal pineapple (or coconut). It's a misconception that we need to put away.

I'll bet the sauce they used was a combo of huli huli (teriyaki, garlic and ginger) and hawaii chili pepper water. That would give it the sweet and heat.