PDA

View Full Version : UDS - couldn't get it up.

Petee_c
06-04-2018, 08:00 AM
I was trying to do 2 hot and fast butts this weekend, but and I couldn't get it up.

Seems like my UDS needs a little blue pill (lol)

Sent the temperature alarms on my thermometer to go between a low of 270 and a high of 325F, and throughout my cool, although my temps were stable between 270 and 280 for the 1st 3 hours of the cook, I couldn't get them higher even with all vents open.

I have some old charcoal and brickets in the bottom of my basket. I'm wondering if moisture from storing all winter outside, (uncovered) has caused the ash to cake on some of the bottom charcoal,forming an unburnable lump of charcoal and ash.

I did tap the uds gently, by picking up one side about 2"and then dropping it repeatedly to try to knock some of the ash out.

I was aiming for 300F yesterday, but just couldn't get there. Only a light breeze, so windchill wasn't a factor.

I rigged up a battery powered fan need the end of the cook to try to keep the temps above 250F...worked fairly well. Going to improve on the idea for the next time I need to boost temps.

Probably going to have to brush off any ash by hand and remove any suspect charcoal at the bottom of my basket before the next cookhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/7fd438e03967f632064e9ab19f734300.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/7470d919cec087faaa19fb34a1bbc4b7.jpg

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

tenpenny_05
06-04-2018, 09:22 AM
It may sound painfully obvious.... but did you try starting with more lit charcoal? It took me longer than I'm willing to admit to realize that for higher temps, start with more lit charcoal, and for longer times add more unlit charcoal.
I use to think that one chimney unlit and one chimney lit is the starting point of all cooks and that you control temp and time with airflow. This is only partially correct.

el luchador
06-04-2018, 09:41 AM
you need fuel and air.

if you are not getting the temp you want, one of those is shy.

how much intake do you have available to the uds?

with two 1 1/4" pipes Im able to hit about 380 degrees unrestriced

Big Money Grip
06-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Open the exhaust up. I sometimes crack the lid open to get more flow. If the exhaust can't get out, no matter how much air-fuel you put it won't make it any hotter.

DRMSMKER
06-04-2018, 09:52 AM
This is only a temp fix b/c I think you probably need to address the issue with more starting coals or better intake system but if you really wanted to get your temps up, you could have just left your lid off for 5 mins and then you're temp should jump past 300, assuming you hadn't already run out of fuel by then.

Petee_c
06-04-2018, 10:19 AM
All good thoughts.

Admittedly, I'm out of practice with the UDS. I've been using the Weber kettle almost exclusively for the past year.

I started the fire with about a 1/3rd full Weber Chimney, but that only brought the temperature to about 250F, It ran like that for about 30 minutes, and wasn't getting any higher despite all vents open. I added about another 1/3rd full lit Chimney at the hour mark, and had the UDS cruise along at 275ish F.

I remember having problems always overshooting low temps when lighting a UDS...

It sure was pretty though with the new paint job... Note to self, Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black rust paint tends to smell a bit the 1st time the smoker is used after a paint. Pulled pork flavour wasn't affected,

Nuco59
06-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Starting with more coals will get it higher faster.

but with enough intake (and exhaust) even 10 coal can set the entire basket alight...eventually- if that's what you'd like.

I reuse old charcoal from cook to cook. But not if I suspect it of being damp or it being months old.

aawa
06-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Your intakes are your issue. The elbow on the vertical intake are a bottle neck and reduce the airflow of the intake.

You can add in 1-2 other intakes that don't have an elbow and that will solve your issue.

Fishhook
06-04-2018, 02:22 PM
I also think the riser on your intake is an issue. I put a riser almost exactly the same on my UDS. I had a tough time getting it above 250. I think the riser heats up and reverses or slows the intake. I removed my riser, and I now have no trouble going to 300-325. This with one 1" hole (the one that formally had the riser) and One 3/4" for intakes

Petee_c
06-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Your intakes are your issue. The elbow on the vertical intake are a bottle neck and reduce the airflow of the intake.

You can add in 1-2 other intakes that don't have an elbow and that will solve your issue.

I have 3 intakes.. the other 2 are just short nipples... you can see the black caps sitting on the ground in the one photo.

I'm thinking my basket is clogged with ash. I will investigate before my next UDS cook.

Peter

aawa
06-04-2018, 03:04 PM
I have 3 intakes.. the other 2 are just short nipples... you can see the black caps sitting on the ground in the one photo.

I'm thinking my basket is clogged with ash. I will investigate before my next UDS cook.

Peter

How big are the openings?

Doog
06-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Would also try some fresh charcoal.

Forrestbro
06-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Would also try some fresh charcoal.

I agree. Try it again with fresh charcoal. Your suspicions about the old, caked charcoal are probably correct.

Petee_c
06-04-2018, 06:44 PM
How big are the openings?1" diameter

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

jham0077
06-04-2018, 07:57 PM
As a member here once advised me, use your old coals to start the fire with and use all fresh in your basket. That way you know what you're cooking with for sure.

DRMSMKER
06-05-2018, 10:20 AM
As a member here once advised me, use your old coals to start the fire with and use all fresh in your basket. That way you know what you're cooking with for sure.

I always put new coals in the basket then use the old coals as the top "starting layer" on top of the new coals and also in my chimney to start. Had great success with this method in limiting the time of white bad smoke to start a cook.

Bbq_lover
06-06-2018, 09:13 PM
I also think it’s your intakes. I have 3,1 in intakes and my drum can sit at 230 to 270 no problem. I can never get it over 300, but I am good with that since I am a low and slow guy. I also have a riser and that is where I hook up my iq 110. My setup works great for me, but if I want higher temps, I would put in more intake holes. Try 1 first, see how that goes and then add another and test again! Good luck!