PDA

View Full Version : Checking probe tenderness/ dropping temps

scott3705
06-03-2018, 12:40 PM
When checking brisket for probe tenderness while wrapped in either foil or paper, do you probe through the wrap or unwrap? What do you do if the meat starts tightening up and temping down?

It had been awhile since this happened to me (happened yesterday) and was wondering what others do when this happens. Cooked brisket flat at 250, wrapped in bp after 6 hours and went to check tenderness when it hit 195. It felt like it need a little bit more time. Gave it 20 more minutes and it wasnt there still. Gave it 20 more minutes at which point it felt like it really tightened up. It had also dropped to an internal temp of 185. I let it go for another hour and it just wasnt moving with buttery parts of the flat in some thins areas and the thick areas still having resistance. I pulled it knowing i was reheating during the weak and could get tenderness then. The last time this happened to me, by the time it probed tender, it was crumbling and falling apart and was easily the worst one i ever cooked. As for the meat, there are some parts that were about to get crumbly but the thicker parts definitely had unrendered collagen.

I have a hard time probing tenderness thru paper, but i feel like slightly unwrapping and rewrapping messed up my cook. (I think i have been lucky recently that my briskets have probed perfect at 195)

pjtexas1
06-03-2018, 02:20 PM
I cut a slit in the paper to probe or just stick the probe in a little and move side to side to widen the hole in the paper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

scott3705
06-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I cut a slit in the paper to probe or just stick the probe in a little and move side to side to widen the hole in the paper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I feel dumb for not thinking of that

Mikhail
06-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Did your pit temperature stay stable? Did you change the position of your temp probe?

scott3705
06-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Did your pit temperature stay stable? Did you change the position of your temp probe?

Yes. Pit was stable. (First run on assasin with guru.)Pulled the probe at 195 and was just observing thermapen which was at 194 the first time i checked it.

Pork Floyd
06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
I’m guessing the brisket cooled/stopped cooking a bit, when you checked the temps. Your intervals may have been to close together. Ie...maybe checked after 40 min instead of 20. Only a guess��