PDA

View Full Version : Canned Chicken

bulldogs34
06-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Has anyone tried canned chicken on the smoker?
Today after Church my family is wanting some chicken nachos. Since we don't have any chicken thawed out; I wondered about canned chicken.
My plan was to empty the chicken in a pan and mix with some rub and BBQ sauce and heat up on smoker with a little smoke. Shouldn't take but about 15 minutes to complete

Has anyone else tried canned chicken on the smoker like this in a hurry
Have a good day

Garyclaw
06-03-2018, 09:17 AM
I'm thinking...…….YUCK! Can't you stop and get some fresh chic after church?

Stingerhook
06-03-2018, 09:25 AM
That really does not sound good.

ShadowDriver
06-03-2018, 09:27 AM
I'd settle for a store-cooked rotisserie bird to be shredded at the house any day and twice on Sunday... but that's just me.

I do like the chicken nachos idea. Hope you can work out something reasonably easy and tasty.

Smoke Dawg
06-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Has anyone tried canned chicken on the smoker?

Nope! Not gonna do it!

You CAN try if you want but I would find another option

thirdeye
06-03-2018, 09:39 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Zh67Sq8.jpg?1

I think it would work, canned chicken (or turkey) is pretty versatile... but usually meats are seasoned or flavor smoked before canning. And you have two choices when canning at home:

1. Raw pack which is raw or lightly flavored meat canned with little or no water added.

2. Hot pack which is slightly smoked, slightly roasted, or slightly browned meat canned with some warmed broth.

Where am I going with this??? Well, let's say you got into home canning, and had some corned beef, pastrami, chicken, country ribs etc. sitting on the shelf. You could open a jar and whip up some nachos (or other tasty dish) in less than 10 minutes.

Hoss
06-03-2018, 11:08 AM
I saw an episode of DDD where a guy was making chicken salad out of canned chicken.It looked dang good and the host of the show even seemed impressed with the final product.

WilliamKY
06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
I saw an episode of DDD where a guy was making chicken salad out of canned chicken.It looked dang good and the host of the show even seemed impressed with the final product.
I make chicken salad all the time with canned chicken. It's good. Of course I also make it with leftover smoked chicken and it's even gooder. Yes, GOODER!:thumb:

dadsr4
06-03-2018, 12:55 PM
My thinking is that people smoke Spam, so it's not such a strange idea.

Sillius Sodus
06-03-2018, 05:39 PM
If you’ve ever opened up a chicken in a can and then dumped it out, you’d know that the only similarity between canned chicken and canned spam is that they are both in a can. Besides that, just know that the group passed on canned chicken in the Walking Dead. :sick:

I simply refuse to imagine smoked canned chicken. And just because Guy Fieri “might have” approved of it for ratings on his show doesn’t make it any more appealing. In fact, it rather makes me wonder about him. :loco:

dadsr4
06-03-2018, 05:45 PM
If you’ve ever opened up a chicken in a can and then dumped it out, you’d know that the only similarity between canned chicken and canned spam is that they are both in a can. Besides that, just know that the group passed on canned chicken in the Walking Dead. :sick:

I simply refuse to imagine smoked canned chicken. And just because Guy Fieri “might have” approved of it for ratings on his show doesn’t make it any more appealing. In fact, it rather makes me wonder about him. :loco:
And yet, I can not clear my mind in terms of "aged beef". Canned is "fresher" than something that has "aged" for weeks.

CentralOhioBBQ
06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Sounds god awful. Can it be done? Sure. But, should it be?

My wife uses canned chicken for chicken salad, and it’s excellent. We prefer it over cooking and pulling our own.

Sillius Sodus
06-03-2018, 05:53 PM
And yet, I can not clear my mind in terms of "aged beef". Canned is "fresher" than something that has "aged" for weeks.

Clearly, you’ve never opened one of those “fresher” canned chickens. :tongue:

But now that I’m re-reading this thread, I’m wondering if the OP was talking about a chicken in a can or about chicken chunks in a can.

I assumed - and was writing about - the whole canned chicken...

TuscaloosaQ
06-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Well being that I eat potted meat... canned salmon... spam... canned smoked oysters... sardines.....chunk canned chicken... tuna in the can.... heck I would have no problem with it at all.... carry on!!!!!

WilliamKY
06-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Well being that I eat potted meat... canned salmon... spam... canned smoked oysters... sardines.....chunk canned chicken... tuna in the can.... heck I would have no problem with it at all.... carry on!!!!!
Roll Tide knows whats up. Amen!

Sillius Sodus
06-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Potted meat?!?!

I wonder where some of you guys would draw the line at the “food” you’d put down your gullet...

Hoss
06-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Tell em Paul! Seems some of these folks ain't ever been hungry! :drama:

quamdar
06-04-2018, 05:04 AM
I have no qualms with canned chicken, I keep it for an easy and quick chicken salad or whatever. Would not smoke it though, wouldn’t get smoky before becoming dry I’d think. I’d just buy some thighs and smoke them. Prolly cheaper too.

Smoke Dawg
06-04-2018, 05:15 AM
I was thinking this

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.kgqSoK-qFOIvW9H4eekXFAHaFH&pid=Api

This does make a good sammich with pickles

http://www.underwoodspreads.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/canned-chicken-spread.jpg

bschoen
06-04-2018, 06:05 AM
I say go for it. What's the worst that can happen? It comes out crappy? The really cool thing about playing with your food is, if it comes out inedible, just order pizza.:-D

I do have to ask though, what sort of thought process compels a soul to buy canned chicken?:shock:

Hoggie-rx
06-04-2018, 07:37 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-N1SYTyAM8