PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Traeger, Questions:

John Redcorn
06-02-2018, 05:24 PM
I was lucky enough to get a second hand Traeger BBQ155 (the small one) from a neighbor who was giving it away. It wasn't working but I got it back going by unfreezing the fan.

So, I am used to my stick burners. I don't plan on using the Traeger to replace those, just adding it to the quiver.

Does anyone have any experience with this model? Specifically, if I set it to 200 or 250, how long can it go before I have to tend to the hopper?

Any other must know's about this thing?

Looking forward to putting it in service.

IamMadMan
06-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Too many variables to give an accurate answer.

Try downloading the user's manual online, I'm sure they can give you an educated estimate. But keep in mind that the weather, both temperature and humidity, the brand of pellets and their moisture content, and the amount of meat mass will all effect the pellet cookers ability to come to temperature and hold it at that temperature; thus pellet burn rates could vary in many aspects.

My suggestion would be to do a test run and see where that takes you.

Mikhail
06-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Can't but echo IAmMadMan's advice, but that is quite a score!

Stlsportster
06-03-2018, 09:37 AM
I used to own the small model 055 (not 155). In my case I had multiple electrical/mechanical failures that eventually made me throw it out. These failures would happen either in the middle of a cook ruining my food, or I would prep a bunch of food and then go to light it and find it wouldn’t start. Happened enough that I threw it off my deck and dragged it to the curb. Swore I’d never be dependent on electric again for a smoker.

Now specifically to your question. At 225 to 250 I could get 6 hours on a single hopper....IF I stayed with it and stirred the pellets. After about 2-3 hours the pellets would feed in the center but stick to the side of the hopper creating a funnel shape in the center of the pellets. Eventually the pellets above the auger would become empty and the fire and heat would die. I would have to stir the pellets every so often to get them to feed appropriately.

How did I find that out. Overnight brisket cook where I tried to get 5 hours of sleep. Came out to a brisket that was in the danger zone and had to toss it out.

Other problems included the fan which I had replaced under warranty, and the controller.

On top of all that it never gave me enough smoke flavor.

YMMV

AWilliams
06-03-2018, 10:14 AM
I used to own the small model 055 (not 155). In my case I had multiple electrical/mechanical failures that eventually made me throw it out. These failures would happen either in the middle of a cook ruining my food, or I would prep a bunch of food and then go to light it and find it wouldn’t start. Happened enough that I threw it off my deck and dragged it to the curb. Swore I’d never be dependent on electric again for a smoker.

Now specifically to your question. At 225 to 250 I could get 6 hours on a single hopper....IF I stayed with it and stirred the pellets. After about 2-3 hours the pellets would feed in the center but stick to the side of the hopper creating a funnel shape in the center of the pellets. Eventually the pellets above the auger would become empty and the fire and heat would die. I would have to stir the pellets every so often to get them to feed appropriately.

How did I find that out. Overnight brisket cook where I tried to get 5 hours of sleep. Came out to a brisket that was in the danger zone and had to toss it out.

^^^^^This man speaks the truth. Same problems I've had as well as the auger not intermittently turning and stopping but continuing to turn and feed and overfill the firepot with pellets. Any boy...when that happens you'll know it. I woke up one early morning to see how my butt was doing and I thought my house was on fire there was so much choking smoke. So, just like I posted in the other pellet thread, I only use it for smoking/cooking my fish I catch. I'm not against pellet grills but there are better models like GMG. I have other smokers so I'm covered.

bucko
06-03-2018, 10:22 AM
That was a pretty good price for a pellet grill

JEStucker
06-03-2018, 10:32 AM
I like the idea of a pellet pooper... just not sold on them, and since I tend to like cooking in inclimate weather, I like not being dependent on the power being on. I've heard horror stories like the ones above, and additional ones when pellets get damp (humidity) and swell or other similar factors.