PDA

View Full Version : When to replace a burner

Higgledy
06-02-2018, 08:22 AM
I bought a Weber Q200 used. It’s at least ten years old, it works. I am wondering about the burner. Do burners rust away or does their performance degrade over time to the point they need to be replaced? Thanks.

Nuco59
06-02-2018, 08:42 AM
My pop has a saying - you might have heard it before:

starts out "if it ain't broke..."

Honestly - if it's firing, giving good temps and doing it's thing, I'd leave it alone. Maybe give the burner tubes a cleaning if you think it warranted. But if you just can't stand it, they will sell you a new burner- I promise you.

Wetsmoke
06-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Stainless steel burner, if it doesn’t show any rust, should still be fine if even discolored. I take the burner out of the Q, only one screw and a twist up does it, and procede to use a bent large paperclip and poke into every hole until they are all cleaned out. Turn the burner up and gently tap it on a surface to disloge debris. Reinstall the burner after scraping down the inside body to make it relatively clean, all this junk can go in that removable aluminun pan holder at the bottom that slides out. Try firing it up without the grate, in case you need to adjust the burner a little so it aligns up with the igniter. If all is good, then I reseason the grate and I fip the grate and also season the bottom of the grate. Inside of lid clean? Alright, you are ready to use it when you need to, the Q was designed to be easy to maintain and still cook great food. Need more tips on cooking on your Q? Watch the “Fire Escape Griller” on YouTube.

Demosthenes9
06-02-2018, 10:40 AM
At some point, you'll start seeing cracks along the burner tubes and the individual holes will join. This will produce a problematic flame pattern. That is when it will be time to replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Higgledy
06-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Cool. Thanks. I never owned a gas grill this old. I’ve always owned cheap gas grills that just fell apart. I never knew how a burner failed.

Higgledy
07-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Ok. Now my grill won’t light. I brushed the burner and made sure all the holes are open. I removed the hose to the tank and opened the burner valve to the light position and let the grill sit for several minutes. I read that that can reset the regulator. Idk. Then I put everything back together. Opened the tank valve slowly. Then turned the burner to the light position and tried lighting. I can see the spark but it does not light. I tried a match in different areas of the burner. No good. I don’t smell gas so it’s clogged or the regulator is defective.

The burner itself looks to be in solid condition. It’s rustist on the far side to the regulator. But the burner portion entering the regulator is still silver.

I looked up the serial number on Weber.com. It’s a Q200 from 2008.

How do I remove the burner to check for clogs?
How do I check the regulator for clogs?

Higgledy
07-04-2018, 12:20 PM
BTW, the reason I started this thread was because I noticed the grill was not getting as hot as it used to get.

Higgledy
07-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Anyone?

Happy Hapgood
07-05-2018, 09:58 PM
What color is the flame from the burner? You are looking for blue flame with maybe a yellow or orange kiss at the top. Yellow flame means incomplete combustion. Wire brush the burner. Blue flame is the key.

Good Luck!

Bbq_lover
07-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Replace the hose and regulator. That should fix the issue.