06-01-2018, 05:58 PM
I really love killer hog's the bbq rub I use it on yardbird pork and beef

mrpigs
06-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Smokin Guns hot.

I put it on everything.

DMosher
06-01-2018, 06:09 PM
For Chicken my go to is Big Poppa Smokers- Desert Gold Rub. Great on Chicken and on veggies.

Clasko2
06-01-2018, 06:09 PM
I love Meat Church.

olddawg
06-01-2018, 06:15 PM
I get killer hogs off amazon it beats byrons in my opinion im limited on what they sell in the stores here I tried everglades but damns that's some salty stuff

SmittyJonz
06-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Beef - Adkins Western Style. Pork n Chicken - PlowBoys Yardbird.

Springram
06-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Brisket and beef plate ribs (123A) - 50-50 by volume Morton's Kosher Salt and 16 mesh black pepper

Chicken - Plowbird's Yardbird When doing a whole bird, I spatchcock it and dry brine it with Harvest Brine. No further seasoning needed but might use unsalted Dizzy Pig.

Pork ribs - my own rib rub which is more savory than sweet. Sometimes, I will go a different direction and season with Sucklebuster's Hog Waller depending on my guests.

My rib rub:
• 1/3 cup chili powder
• 1/3 cup golden brown sugar packed
• 1/4 cup Morton’s Kosher salt
• 1/4 cup ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp ground mustard
• 2 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 1 tbsp paprika
• 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Springram
06-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Plowboys' is used on chicken pieces. Forgot to use a period.

WilliamKY
06-01-2018, 06:51 PM
I like these. The Weber brand is a basic paprika based rub and the Lawry's is just an SPG with herbs. They both have good flavor and are inexpensive.

ShadowDriver
06-01-2018, 06:57 PM
SPOG - It's simple. It works.

I get a little wild and crazy from there.

olddawg
06-01-2018, 06:57 PM
William I used to live in Owensboro ky man I miss moonlight bbq and burgoo

smoke ninja
06-01-2018, 07:03 PM
So many good ones.

Oakridge and simply marvelous are good lineups.

I like salt and pepper so most my Q has Q-salt added to whatever rub I use.

MountainMan
06-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Texas BBQ Rubs......

Brisket
Original
Grand Champion
Right Stuff

It depends on the meat and my mood But my wife loves Grand Champion on everything.

Gary Tomato
06-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Simply Marvelous’ products including Spicy Apple and Pecan for pork and chicken, for beef I prefer my own rub that combines salt, four kinds of pepper (black, red, white and Szichuan) and garlic powder.

locosmoke
06-01-2018, 07:48 PM
brisket slap your mama's as base and mccormick montreal
pork slap your mama's and Rouses' st louis rib rub
chicken just slap your mama's

BillN
06-01-2018, 07:59 PM
SPOG 80% to 90% of the time.

Tatanka
06-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Brisket and beef plate ribs (123A) - 50-50 by volume Morton's Kosher Salt and 16 mesh black pepper

Chicken - Plowbird's Yardbird When doing a whole bird, I spatchcock it and dry brine it with Harvest Brine. No further seasoning needed but might use unsalted Dizzy Pig.

Pork ribs - my own rib rub which is more savory than sweet. Sometimes, I will go a different direction and season with Sucklebuster's Hog Waller depending on my guests.

My rib rub:
• 1/3 cup chili powder
• 1/3 cup golden brown sugar packed
• 1/4 cup Morton’s Kosher salt
• 1/4 cup ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp ground mustard
• 2 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 1 tbsp paprika
• 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

With proportions slightly different (I use a little less chili powder proportionately and a little more paprika and cumin) that's my pork rub, too. Always delivers great flavor. I've always made my own rubs (well, for beef it's just SPOG) but need to expand my horizons by buying some ready made rubs like y'all are mentioning. Hard to break old habits, especially when they work.

KSUE
06-01-2018, 09:05 PM
I knew I liked Smitty for some reason. I love Adkins! I use it on ribeyes mostly. Pork ribs gets John Henry's Pecan rub, and on brisket I like Obie-Cue's Smooth Moove.

tom b
06-01-2018, 09:24 PM
if not just S&P or spog I like the oakridge line and Naturific stuff too

HankB
06-02-2018, 06:59 AM
... I've always made my own rubs ... but need to expand my horizons by buying some ready made rubs like y'all are mentioning. Hard to break old habits, especially when they work.
I tried a few and then went back to making my own. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of sugar on my meat*. (I also don't sauce when I smoke but serve & reheat with sauce sometimes.)

Here's the starting point for my pork rub:

2 Tbsp black pepper corns
2 Tbsp whole dried Rosemary
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp whole Coriander
1/2 Tbsp whole Cumin
1 Tbsp whole Mustard
Grind up dry spices
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp oregano
2 toasted and ground guajillo pepper
2 toasted and ground ancho pepper

I'll vary proportions depending on what I feel like. and whether it's ribs, butt etc.

For chicken I often marinate in something with lime juice and garlic and maybe some sriracha.

S&P for beef, usually. I did try Steve Raichlen's coffee rub and liked it but S&P is easy and good.

* I did my first pork belly a couple days ago and used Raichlen's rub recipe (not the one with 5 spice powder) and used 3/4 of the sugar he called for.

olddawg
06-02-2018, 07:35 AM
im getting to where I don't like saucing at all I just serve bbq sauce as a condiment

IamMadMan
06-02-2018, 07:52 AM
A little late to the party, but here is my two cents.....

I am a user of Oakridge BBQ Rubs and products. My favorites are:
Oakridge Santa Maria Grill Seasoning which is great on steak, burgers, vegetables, and even corn on the cob.
Oakridge Secret Weapon Pork and Chicken Rub which is awesome on pork.
Oakridge Gamebird and Chicken Rub which adds a little zing to dull chicken flavors.
Lastly Oakridge Game Changer Brine which adds great flavor as well as moisture to BBQ meats. Use it as a brine or an injection.

Some complain that they cost a little more than others, but you get what you pay for. Oakridge BBQ Rubs are hand crafted in small batches using specific genus of the spice from specific regions of the world. Yes, the variety and region of origin make a vast difference in essential oil content and flavor attributes.

Small hand crafted batches made when ordered also ensures higher quality control standards and maximum freshness. I also find Oakridge Rubs to be much lower in sugar and salt content than many other commercial rubs I have tried. This means more bold spice for flavor in my cooks.

Everyone has different likes and preferences, so there will never be a "one rub pleases all" situation. I had used another brand of rub who had different products, but all of the rubs still had the same basic underlying flavor profile. With Oakridge BBQ Rubs, every product has a different flavor profile geared toward different proteins.

Lastly, Oakridge supports our uniformed military, veterans, disaster relief, and our first responders. Oakridge has even supported fledgling culinary students in their early years of study. Oakridge is committed to the giving of time, talent, and financial resources toward supporting local, national and global outreach organizations. A percentage of every sale is donated to support these causes.

They have an inexpensive sample package if someone wants to try a wide variety of products without purchasing full containers of each product.

tarheelsmoker
06-02-2018, 08:06 AM
In Myron Mixon's book "Everyday Barbecue" he gives a recipe for "The Only Rub Your Will Ever Need". I tried it and I really like it for just about everything. I can change it up a little, or add to it based on what I am doing, or it is fine the way it is. It is really good if you just want to uncomplicate sometimes. I keep a quart jar mixed up all the time.

16Adams
06-02-2018, 08:20 AM
I literally never do the same thing twice-intentionally. I enjoy trying all commercial rubs-and eventually mixing those into a Frankenrub. To me the fun of Smoking/grilling is making stuff up as you go. I do enjoy thick juicy porterhouse steaks with a liberal amount of Kosher or Himalayan Sea Salt with restaurant grade dustless cracked black pepper. If it was all I hade for all cooks I’d be satisfied, though somewhat bored.

JazzCat
06-02-2018, 08:24 AM
another vote for: Oakridge Santa Maria Grill Seasoning

sniperfx
06-02-2018, 11:08 AM
killer hogs!

smoke ninja
06-02-2018, 12:01 PM
My problem with making rubs is you buy a jar of X or Y spice, use a half a teaspoon and then it sits in the spice cupboard for the next 3 years.

Some of these professional rubs have better quality spices than available at the local market or even stuff not available. Never seen dehydrated honey, peach powder or Worcestershire dust ar the grocery store.

Clay-b-que
06-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Another vote for oak ridge! Dominator and carne
Also like Money rub.

dadsr4
06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
SPOG for beef and Cavender's Greek seasoning on poultry. Pork, I usually mix my own rub, using stuff we already have in the house, but my daughter gave me some "Gateway To The North Maple Garlic Seasoning",
https://www.thespicehouse.com/gateway-to-the-north-maple-garlic-seasoning
that is good enough on pork that I might actually order some more when it runs out.

defiant
06-02-2018, 03:46 PM
For anything pork, I use a modified version of Chris Lilly's rub.
Beef, keep it simple with Salt, Pepper, and Garlic.
Chicken, Tony's.