PDA

View Full Version : New to pellet grill/smoker

dlangel
05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Hello,
I saw a few older threads on some of this but I know a lot has changed. About the end of next month I'm going to be buying a pellet smoker. I have a kamado right now and love it but would like to get something a little larger. I was trying to keep the pro e of the pellet smoker under $1000, but if something is worth it I would spend more.
Right now I am looking at the GMG Jim Bowie, Rec Tec RT-700, Smokn Brothers traditional 30", or the Blaz'n grill works Grid Iron. Buy for the price of the Grid Iron I could buy two or the Green Mountain Grills.

Does anyone have any input on any of these good or bad?
I have heard good things about most of them, but wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks

KevinJ
05-31-2018, 09:09 PM
Hello,
I saw a few older threads on some of this but I know a lot has changed. About the end of next month I'm going to be buying a pellet smoker. I have a kamado right now and love it but would like to get something a little larger. I was trying to keep the pro e of the pellet smoker under $1000, but if something is worth it I would spend more.
Right now I am looking at the GMG Jim Bowie, Rec Tec RT-700, Smokn Brothers traditional 30", or the Blaz'n grill works Grid Iron. Buy for the price of the Grid Iron I could buy two or the Green Mountain Grills.

Does anyone have any input on any of these good or bad?
I have heard good things about most of them, but wanted to get some opinions.

ThanksThe Smokin Brothers or Blaz'n would be my 2 choices, I think the Blaz'n looks better but I like Smokin Brothers Premier with the Savannah Stoker controller better even though it is not wifi.

JMSetzler
05-31-2018, 10:05 PM
I'll give you a tip on pellet grills....

Find the one that has the bells and whistles you like. You are buying bells and whistles. They all cook the same, or at least the 4 different ones i have cooked on don't produce any difference in the food that I can tell. I have owned two and have cooked on two that I don't own. I haven't owned one but I think Rec Tec offers a lot of bang for the buck.

dlangel
05-31-2018, 10:15 PM
I was leaning towards the Blazn grill but was having a hard time justifying the cost when I could buy 2 of the Green Mountain Grills for the same price. I like the Rec Tec but hate that I can't actually go to a store and take a look at one before I drop that amount of money.

KevinJ
05-31-2018, 10:20 PM
I'll give you a tip on pellet grills....

Find the one that has the bells and whistles you like. You are buying bells and whistles. They all cook the same, or at least the 4 different ones i have cooked on don't produce any difference in the food that I can tell. I have owned two and have cooked on two that I don't own. I haven't owned one but I think Rec Tec offers a lot of bang for the buck.Bad tip, they all don't cook the same. The imports for the most part sure but the PG's made in the USA nope! FE PG500/1000 cook nothing like any other grill on market, MAK Grills and how their controllers and fan speed operates work like nothing else on the market.

Richard_
05-31-2018, 10:30 PM
https://loz.craigslist.org/for/d/traeger-bbq-070-pellet-grill/6593572364.html Here's a good deal on a nice used traeger , I've bought all 3 of mine off Craigslist , it's a great way to get started at a cheap price !

Joshw
05-31-2018, 10:45 PM
Price aside, I think Blazin is the best of the four you mentioned. The only one of those I have seen in person was the Smokin Brothers. I really just wasn't impressed with the build construction. Seemed very flimsy compared to my Yoder. I think they have a newer model that is double walled, it might be better. I think Rec Tec makes a good product, but I hate their marketing. If you are looking to spend under $1000 I would look at Louisiana Grills, and Pitt boss.

Stlchucky
05-31-2018, 11:49 PM
Hey,
I'm new here to.
I picked up a Smokin Brothers 36 premier last year and have had great luck with it.
It seems pretty solid to me and I like supporting local people, they are made in south east Mo.. If I lived 30 minutes from Yoder I would have got one of those.
If you are wanting to replace a gas or charcol grill I might look at something that has a sear or direct flame cooking option.
Good luck

OklaDustDevil
06-01-2018, 12:10 AM
Check out the Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259047
Some of the more recent posts in recent weeks were debating the pro's and con's of different models and various features, as folks were figuring which model to buy.

The main differences IMHO between the different brands are 1- the controller, 2- how smokey they get, 3- how well they grill, and 4- build quality. On-line research will tell you the controller differences, which affect the smoker's ability to hit and hold a temp and your ability to program different phases to a cook. AmazingRibs.com has some controller explanations in their reviews, and you can see which pellet smokers they recommend. For smokiness and grilling ability, you'll have to rely on product reviews, customer reviews, and whether owners feel the need to supplement smoke using smoke tubes. Build quality you can check for yourself by viewing the product or web site.

I wanted to smoke, not grill, so I chose the Mak 1-star (~$1700 delivered); I think it has the best controller, it is plenty smokey and I don't need to supplement with smoke tubes, I don't care about grilling because I use my Weber for that, and the build quality is great. If you really want to grill, I concluded FEC and Memphis were the best for that, but they're $2000+.

Good luck with your decision!

dlangel
06-01-2018, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the info. I was also considering a Yoder. It does not seem like anyone has anything bad to say about those. I'm going to try to make it by some dealers this weekend and see what I can find out. I'm also not stuck on just those brands. I'm open to suggestions. I have looked at the louisiana and pitboss lines, but was not too sure about pitboss.

OklaDustDevil
06-01-2018, 12:48 AM
Thanks for all the info. I was also considering a Yoder. It does not seem like anyone has anything bad to say about those. I'm going to try to make it by some dealers this weekend and see what I can find out. I'm also not stuck on just those brands. I'm open to suggestions. I have looked at the louisiana and pitboss lines, but was not too sure about pitboss.

Yoder is great -- it was my second choice. There are some posts in the thread I referenced comparing the Yoder & Mak.

pigville porkers
06-01-2018, 07:43 AM
I have rec tec here and have not cooked on the others, what i can say is I love what I have and the warranty on my RT 700 is 6 years and the customer support is unmatched for me so far. Highly recommend it

olewarthog
06-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Might want to take a look at the new Assassin Pellet Grill. Built on their 36" charcoal grill frame. Know a couple of folks using them in competitions & they love them.

www.assassin-smokers.com

Ron_L
06-01-2018, 03:03 PM
There is a Smokin' Brothers listed in our General For Sale section. I'm not sure if it is still available, however.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260268

dlangel
06-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up I'll have to check it out.

jasonjax
06-01-2018, 03:41 PM
I love that my FPG-500 can grill direct at 600+ or smoke at 225. The quality from Cookshack is phenomenal.

My FEC-100 was manufactured in 2009 and is rock solid, and I have beat the crap out of it moving it from the backyard to competitions on trucks and uhauls and back many times.

SmoothBoarBBQ
06-01-2018, 05:22 PM
I always suggest people check out the pellet grills from GrillaGrills.

www.grillagrills.com

They're an amazing company with a pretty solid product. Good customer service and a very active Facebook owners page with lots of tips and tricks.

dlangel
06-03-2018, 04:57 PM
I got a chance to go look at some yesterday and think I'm stuck between the Yoder ys640 and the Assissan pellet grill. The Assissan has a little more cook surface and the base price is about $450 less, but I need to find out some more about what Guage metal it's made from and about the controller. It looks just like the one on the Blazn grill works. Actual grill weight seems pretty similar between Yoder and Assissan. I wish someone close to me had one I could compare to the Yoder.

My local Yoder dealer is about 60 min away from me so they won't deliver or assemble it and they have shipping added to their price so it's price is 1699 plus tax. I think I can order it and have it delivered directly to my house cheaper. I also sent Assissan an email asking for a shipping quote.

Joshw
06-03-2018, 05:09 PM
The only assembly on the Yoder, is putting in diffuser plate and grates. That is one of the things that I liked about it. Check prices at All things bbq. They are owned by Yoder. That's where I ordered mine. The savings on sales tax, is about what you will pay shipping. Can't say anything about Assassin Grills, other than I seen a thread on one of them the other day, and it looked nice.

I got a chance to go look at some yesterday and think I'm stuck between the Yoder ys640 and the Assissan pellet grill. The Assissan has a little more cook surface and the base price is about $450 less, but I need to find out some more about what Guage metal it's made from and about the controller. It looks just like the one on the Blazn grill works. Actual grill weight seems pretty similar between Yoder and Assissan. I wish someone close to me had one I could compare to the Yoder.

My local Yoder dealer is about 60 min away from me so they won't deliver or assemble it and they have shipping added to their price so it's price is 1699 plus tax. I think I can order it and have it delivered directly to my house cheaper. I also sent Assissan an email asking for a shipping quote.

dlangel
06-03-2018, 06:06 PM
The only assembly on the Yoder, is putting in diffuser plate and grates. That is one of the things that I liked about it. Check prices at All things bbq. They are owned by Yoder. That's where I ordered mine. The savings on sales tax, is about what you will pay shipping. Can't say anything about Assassin Grills, other than I seen a thread on one of them the other day, and it looked nice.

It looks like I would save a couple hundred ordering directly from them.

Chopjaw
06-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Yoder burns allot of fuel to keep that much metal hot. RecTec is a good unit with the best customer service. But you better like those horns if you buy it. I have the Blazín GridIron and love it. Looks, build and the controller is excellent. The unit you choose will be good I promise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakel
06-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Yoder burns allot of fuel to keep that much metal hot. RecTec is a good unit with the best customer service. But you better like those horns if you buy it. I have the Blazín GridIron and love it. Looks, build and the controller is excellent. The unit you choose will be good I promise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tru that however once heated Yoder will retain the heat much like a cast iron pan vs steel pan.:thumb:

Joshw
06-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Everyone says Yoders are pellet hogs, but throughout the winter, my YS640, with thermal jacket, burned somewhere around 1.5 to 2lbs of pellets an hour, depending on cooking temps. Even in sub zero temps. I'm not sure what other cookers burn, but that is perfectly acceptable usage to me. You have to burn wood, to get smoke.

Tru that however once heated Yoder will retain the heat much like a cast iron pan vs steel pan.:thumb:

Pig_Farmer
06-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Have you tried STL BBQ Store. They carry several different manufacturers.

dj-ia
06-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I always suggest people check out the pellet grills from GrillaGrills.

www.grillagrills.com

They're an amazing company with a pretty solid product. Good customer service and a very active Facebook owners page with lots of tips and tricks.

+1 Iíve owned 2 of their pellet grills and still have my Grilla. Good smoke and great folks to deal with.

LloydQ
06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
This is really an interesting thread. Look forward to seeing what you choose and why.

pigville porkers
06-06-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a rec tec 300 mini and love it so much i sold all my other smokers and I am awaiting delivery of my RT 700 and a bullseye.

smokeswirl
06-06-2018, 11:10 AM
http://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/
Adding fuel to the the flame. Dont own it but would like to. I have a rectec and a GMG Jim Bowie. Both are fine.

Pitts and Spits is another level. I would also be proud to own any FEC, and Yoder pits.

olddawg
06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
I don't have one of the fancy pellet grills I just have a pitboss 700 but it works just fine for me