PDA

View Full Version : Dry-brining chicken drumsticks

Frank Mahovlich
05-31-2018, 08:14 PM
Gonna try bringing chicken drummirs for this weekend. Here’s the question: do I salt them on top of the skin, of pull the skin back and salt under it?

Thanks in advance,
FM

WareZdaBeef
05-31-2018, 08:17 PM
Just add 50 grams of salt to every 1000 grams of water. No peeling back. And cook the crap out of them. I hate juicy, slimy drumsticks. I brine and burn them to a crisp, they are not dry inside, but all that slimy crap is cooked out.

dadsr4
05-31-2018, 08:29 PM
On top.

Frank Mahovlich
05-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Just add 50 grams of salt to every 1000 grams of water. No peeling back. And cook the crap out of them. I hate juicy, slimy drumsticks. I brine and burn them to a crisp, they are not dry inside, but all that slimy crap is cooked out.

Thanks, but I am attempting to dry-brine. I will neither be using water, nor burning them to a crisp. At least not intentionally.

ShadowDriver
05-31-2018, 08:38 PM
I've always salted "on top," but have "massaged" the salt/dry brine around to get good coverage.

WareZdaBeef
05-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks, but I am attempting to dry-brine. I will neither be using water, nor burning them to a crisp. At least not intentionally.
If you insist on dry brine, i suggest using lawry's , just a light coat per side, then let set for an hour and cook as you like.

Bklmt2000
05-31-2018, 08:42 PM
Gonna try bringing chicken drummirs for this weekend. Here’s the question: do I salt them on top of the skin, of pull the skin back and salt under it?

Thanks in advance,
FM

Frank,

I suggest pulling the skin forward as much as is possible, then salting the skin on all sides.

Don't need a lot of salt, just a light coating, along with whatever other seasonings you like best (garlic and onion powder are also nice, too).

sudsandswine
05-31-2018, 10:50 PM
I dry brine under the skin, but I usually only dry brine for a day....maybe 2. If I did it 2 to 3 days I would probably feel fine doing it on the surface....I just figure the skin slows down the penetration of the salt.

Frank Mahovlich
06-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Thank you all for the feedback- much appreciated!

Started dry-brining last night. Pulled the skin down as much as possible, then used sea salt on top of the skin or the meat where exposed. Basically salted them as I would if I were about to eat them. Back in the fridge until they hit the smoker tomorrow afternoon. Eager to see how these turn out.

Thanks again,
FM

dadsr4
06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Meant to post this, it's a good discussion of dry brinning.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/dry-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining
"For chicken and turkey
Surprisingly, the AmazingRibs.com science advisor Prof. Greg Blonder has proven that salt penetrates chicken and turkey skin (I am doubtful about duck and goose since there is such a thick layer of fat under them). So go ahead and sprinkle salt right on the skin. It will help make the skin crispy. Breasts need more than thighs because they are thicker. 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound, refrigerate for two to four hours minimum. Overnight is fine."