PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowding Question

enorris116
05-31-2018, 02:11 PM
In my vertical smoker, I can put two briskets on a rack and each one has plenty of breathing room. However, I COULD put three briskets, but they would all be touching. Would they cook the same if they were touching?

BrickBrewHaus
05-31-2018, 03:06 PM
Interested to see what others say cause I run into the same issue. My guess is that they cook mostly the same, maybe less bark and smoke ring on the touching edges. I don't think there's a sanitation/under-cooking problem. To me, having two briskets touch is no different than if those two briskets were combined to be one giant brisket. The two touching briskets are still cooking from the top and bottom.

Jousting Pigs
05-31-2018, 03:06 PM
No, a big part of smoking is convection. The hot air flowing around the meat allows it to cook faster. Not saying you won't be able to cook them that way but it will take longer and you will want to rotate them to ensure they all cook evenly.

Cook
05-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Air flow...

You need space for the air to circulate around each piece of meat & around/through the pit in order to escape efficiently through the exhaust. Overcrowding is your enemy.

Having cooked eight full sized butts on my WSM before, I doubt I will ever go over six again...three per rack. They just cook better.

Leftwngr
05-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Air flow...

You need space for the air to circulate around each piece of meat & around/through the pit in order to escape efficiently through the exhaust. Overcrowding is your enemy.

Having cooked eight full sized butts on my WSM before, I doubt I will ever go over six again...three per rack. They just cook better.

Plus depending on your cooker and how much you over crowd it, you will also get some temp swings on the different levels if you inhibit air flow too much.

Rotating and maybe a heat damper of sorts would probably be necessary.

A full cooker is a good thing, but pushing maximum capacity isn't the same thing. Be safe and just hold and reheat if necessary.

pjtexas1
05-31-2018, 06:03 PM
I wonder if you could use a couple of empty beer cans to "tent" the briskets? That may create enough space between.

Once the shrink down a little you could remove the cans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nuco59
05-31-2018, 06:23 PM
sorta like a brisket rack? Tilt em up to 45* or so? It'd probably work just dandy if he has enough clearance between the racks.

Czarbecue
05-31-2018, 07:32 PM
sorta like a brisket rack? Tilt em up to 45* or so? It'd probably work just dandy if he has enough clearance between the racks.

Id be concerned with the rub coming off on a brisket rack.

WhitesideJC
05-31-2018, 08:14 PM
To echo some comments above, but this is specific to pork butts, where I had 4 in my BGE (with a platform system), and I found that not only did the butts take forever, the bark also never really formed. I ultimately wrapped them in foil, so it wasn't a big deal, but I definitely think you'd sacrifice that wonderful brisket bark.

Demosthenes9
05-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Touching will inhibit bark formation and cooking time. What you could do is use some butchers twine to keep the briskets from spreading gout as much. This will increase the thickness, and therefore the cooking time, but you'd get an extra brisket done so it might be worth the trade off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Smoking Piney
05-31-2018, 08:44 PM
I always allow about an inch of air space between the meats to get the heat circulation.

Happy Hapgood
05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Yep, at least an inch between. Good info here.

Any way to hang them?

enorris116
06-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Thank you to everyone who gave advice in this thread! I knew there was a reason I was hesitant!

Sid Post
06-01-2018, 07:44 AM
Air flow...

Can you cook 2 10# hams on a 14" WSM? Yes. Should you, not really.

Why? Poor air circulation in general. Bad drafting makes getting the temperature up a problem (no fan assist). Cook time is pretty long. Smoke flavor is there but, a bit weak which could be good or bad depending on your diners.

ModelMaker
06-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Just remember there will be around 40% reduction in size as time goes on. So if they just touch at the start, they'll make their own room.
Ed