PDA

View Full Version : Bandera Questions

93_confirmed
05-31-2018, 11:47 AM
I recently picked up a Bandera and have a few questions:

1) The grooves for the cook chamber shelves are not continuous so it's easy to see how a brisket would slide right off if I were to pull out the shelf to baste or wrap. Is there a mod the shelving setup that would add more stability here?

2) The firebox is very large and seems to leak a lot of heat out of the top. What's the mod to address this? Also, has anyone run a minion/snake for a long cook and if so, how long were you able to get on it

aks801
05-31-2018, 11:53 AM
If you look up in the Sticky threads there is one devoted just to the Bandera. I bet you will find what you need there.

Dobermandev
05-31-2018, 01:02 PM
I have one too. I agree front shelf sucks. Have seen people put a grad key around the fire box. I got some high temp food grade silicone and sealed up most of the leaks. Used fire place rope on the door and it’s super tight now.

93_confirmed
05-31-2018, 02:21 PM
If you look up in the Sticky threads there is one devoted just to the Bandera. I bet you will find what you need there.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the document but it doesn't explain how to actually mount brackets insider the chamber. I was hoping someone here had done it and could explain more about that.

Nuco59
05-31-2018, 06:08 PM
Czarbque has a couple of Banderas... both mounted to a trailer no less. I don't know if he installed "no tip" angles to his rack locations or not. He's pretty thorough with his mods. If he did them, he should be able to tell you what he used. If he did not add them it must have been something he just considered not worth messing with.

I don't own a Bandera, but adding some no tip angle pieces doesn't seem to be a huge ordeal. Me? I'd find a stick of 3/4" thin wall carbon steel angle (HD or Lowes). Cut the sections into 1.5" or 2" lengths. I'd attach them to one side only of the cook chamber so that the bottom of the "L" will keep that rack from flipping out. Use tack welds or a couple of machine screws per angle piece. (Bandera racks are not big enough IMO to warrant an anti tip for each side -but add them if you feel otherwise).