PDA

View Full Version : Is a fireboard overkill for a Bandera?

sarth67
05-31-2018, 10:11 AM
I am basically a huge nerd and love the connectivity options. I also love my BBq and my Bandera. I managed to melt the Tinergy solis Thermometer (Cowboy charcoal burns WAY hotter that royal Oak apparently) I do tend to use at least 4 of the 6 probes every cook ambient on several shelves and in several of the pieces of meat. I also keep thinking that installing a fan to keep the temp even tighter would make me happy.

Does anyone use a Fireboard with a Bandara smoker?

Any pictures of how you mount everything would be appreciated.

The solis was stuck on the top of the wall of the smoker on the oposite side of the firebox so no idea how it could ever get hot enough to melt but it did.

Wager
05-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Not sure about fan options or setup on a bandera but if you are a nerd the fireboard will certainly satisfy your need for data.

Rib Rub
05-31-2018, 05:46 PM
I have written the word overkill out of my life. If you have hobbies and enjoy doing something, take it to the limits! I always buy more than I need and I try to buy it big from the begining. I hate getting something and then having to upgrade soon after. Research it and go big or go home!

Nuco59
05-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Some might consider it overkill- so what if they do? If you want to do it - do it.

Having probes on every rack and in the meats gives some guys more confidence - the not knowing drives them nuts. If you are one of those, go for it.

Biggest thing? Having fun and loving what comes off the grates.

BBQchef33
05-31-2018, 08:53 PM
If you havent already done so, you will NEED to do the door gasket mod if your using a draft device. When I put a stoker on mine, i had a door fabricated with a fitting for the fan. But before I had that done, I used a 6x14x16 register pan for HVAC. I cut it down to be a bit more shallow and bent the sides down to make tabs. Bolted it to the door (with the door damper wide open)and used fireplace caulk to seal it. Get a reducer to fit the opening and reduce down to your fan fitting site(you WILL have to improvise). I used a cap to cap the round end and then used a soup can to make the fitting. (cut out both ends then cut down the long way and fold it over itself to make the size you need). Unfortunately, i gave the bandera to a neighbor to restore it so cant go take pics.. but what you thinking is doable with some fab work.

http://www.hc-products.com/wp-content/uploads/745.jpg

Happy Hapgood
05-31-2018, 09:04 PM
All I know is that I've been a temp control guy for 38 years and almost ANYthing can benefit from an ATC.

Twelvegaugepump
06-03-2018, 08:06 PM
I love my FireBoard. I am a nerd (IT guy) and just used it this past weekend to chart my whole hog cook. Worked awesome. I am able to tweak dampers and move temps like I never thought I could. You will not regret the purchase. Works without a hitch. I have been very impressed.