PDA

View Full Version : WSM rust after rib session??

17mbpro
05-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Went to go cleanout the WSM the other day and found this when I removed the lid, I'm not sure what it is but it does rub off fairly easy. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with liquid making its way onto the coals after I shut it down. This was my first cook on the WSM and it was super easy to manage and the ribs turned out great!

FTTH
05-31-2018, 12:38 PM
That’s not rust just grease.

KevinJ
05-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Thats not rust just grease.What he said.

Leave it alone and keep cooking, that's just seasoning.

NYC Que
05-31-2018, 02:54 PM
^^^ what they said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Hapgood
05-31-2018, 07:54 PM
That water pan needs to be emptied sooner.. If it set overnight water condensed onto the grease on the sides the sides and top as it cooled. Looks to be at the waterline of the pan.

Just my .02 and Good luck with the new rig. I've enjoyed mine for years.

Joe Black
05-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Toast is absolutely correct. One of the few downfalls of a WSM is cleaning it after each cook. Thank goodness, it comes apart. Another good thing is that it’s porcelion and not raw steel.

KevinJ
05-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Toast is absolutely correct. One of the few downfalls of a WSM is cleaning it after each cook. Thank goodness, it comes apart. Another good thing is that its porcelion and not raw steel.The porcelain enamel is great but even if it's bare steel and you cook regularly that will never be a problem, been cooking on a Drum for over a year next to the Gulf of Mexico, salt water air, high humidity and no problems with rust at all.

Happy Hapgood
05-31-2018, 09:08 PM
The porcelain enamel is great but even if it's bare steel and you cook regularly that will never be a problem, been cooking on a Drum for over a year next to the Gulf of Mexico, salt water air, high humidity and no problems with rust at all.

I noticed the OP is in Kansas. They have cooler nights therefore more condensation than you or me during Jimmy Buffet nights. :mrgreen:

17mbpro
06-01-2018, 08:00 AM
That water pan needs to be emptied sooner.. If it set overnight water condensed onto the grease on the sides the sides and top as it cooled. Looks to be at the waterline of the pan.

Just my .02 and Good luck with the new rig. I've enjoyed mine for years.

I did leave it overnight to cool before cleaning! The high that day was in the 90's and it drops to at least 70 at night so yeah I can see how condensation was an issue

The porcelain enamel is great but even if it's bare steel and you cook regularly that will never be a problem, been cooking on a Drum for over a year next to the Gulf of Mexico, salt water air, high humidity and no problems with rust at all.

Good point on the porcelain! I owned a drum for several years and never noticed anything like this, BUT I never cooked with a water pan either!

Thanks for the knowledge guys!

Beer/Meat/Victory
06-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Toast is absolutely correct. One of the few downfalls of a WSM is cleaning it after each cook. Thank goodness, it comes apart. Another good thing is that its porcelion and not raw steel.

I rarely, and I mean rarely clean my 22" WSM. Never had an issue either and I live in the rust belt. From time to time Ill just use a scraper to get the flaky mess off of the lid so it doesn't fall on the meat and if it's built up around the sides too much but other than that I just let it go.