PDA

View Full Version : diffuser in uds

sniperfx
05-30-2018, 04:28 PM
Do you guys use them, or not, and why?

Let the games begin..:thumb:

mrboy
05-30-2018, 04:41 PM
I used a large (clay pot) tray over the fire basket and then a pizza pan with strategically drilled holes of varying sizes.

It turned out to be more trouble than worth to me. My temps are pretty even across the grate and I like the flavor of the drippings going into the fire.

My $.02

Nuco59
05-30-2018, 05:54 PM
I made a Holey Pizza pan- fits a few inches above my coal basket. It does even my temps across the grate. I used it with and without. I've come to the conclusion that I pretty much don't care whether I use it or not.

Fat dripping on coals has one taste. Fat sizzling /burning on a steel diffuser has a different taste. I don't use /won't use a water dish so I'm going to get one or the other. The non diffuser is a tad easier and one less thing to scrape clean.

el luchador
05-30-2018, 06:47 PM
I do not use a diffuser

1. It sends the heat to the walls of the uds and browns the paint

2. It decreases the efficiency of the uds,in my experience significantly

3. You don't get the awesome cooked over charcoals flavor

4. More cleanup

smoke ninja
05-30-2018, 06:50 PM
Holey diffuser here.

http://i.imgur.com/iHqlHtHh.jpg (http://imgur.com/iHqlHtH)

I ran the drum without it the first 2 cooks and the bottom of my ribs burned up. My cook grate does sit a bit low tho. I use the diffuser for long cooks chicken sausage and fattys can go without

SmittyJonz
05-30-2018, 07:06 PM
I always Ran a water pan as my difusser - I like a diffuser to even temps somewhat from center to edge but I don’t like the drippings burning on a difusser - stinks.

Stingerhook
05-30-2018, 07:17 PM
I have 3 grates in mine, always use a foil pan on the bottom grate and don't find where it interferes with the airflow.

Petee_c
05-31-2018, 07:17 AM
I use a cheap large round tinfoil pan (think what may fit a frozen pizza) with holes poked through as my diffuser. It seems to work well at evening out temperatures from sides to middle of my cooking grate.

the pan sits on top of my charcoal basket.

AussieMatt
05-31-2018, 07:48 AM
I'm another holey pizza pan user. It helps with the temps across the grate.

foam2
05-31-2018, 09:04 AM
i use the hunsaker vortex in my drum, I like it.

Bbq_lover
05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
The diffuser evens out my grate temps. Tried without the diffuser and the center of the grate was way to hot. I’ve used the holy pizza pan, or just an empty disposable half sheet pan. It just keeps the heat from coming directly up. I won’t use a pan of water, ever. I found that going low and slow creates a puddle in the bottom of the barrel when using water. If I don’t use water, I never get the puddle in the bottom so I don’t have to hose it out as much.

SmokerKing
06-01-2018, 05:16 AM
Yup, I use a custom steel diffuser with a clay sand filled saucer set on top.
I can't stand the white smoke and taste of burnt fat on any meat I smoke.

Demosthenes
06-01-2018, 11:44 AM
When I do briskets and butts, I use a wok filled with water that I sit on top of my fire basket.

06-01-2018, 03:07 PM
I think one of the biggest issues with a typical UN rated drum is the height. Without a diffuser plate (or water pan) it turns a drum into a glorified charcoal grill or direct heat cooker, not an indirect heat smoker. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought it was about cooking the meat with indirect hot air and flavoring it with rubs/sauce and smoke.

Hope that didn't come out the wrong way. Building my first drum now. Have seen/cooked on a brand name drum a couple times but know very little about them.

I think the difference is more about low & slow vs. hot & fast. The hot & fast guys (from what I've seen) typically use a diffuser while the low & slow guys tend to try and look for a solution to retain (or add) moisture.

Just my $0.02.

Demosthenes
06-01-2018, 04:14 PM
My reasons for using the water filled wok...is to redirect the heat from below and to keep the accumulating grease from burning, which in turn, would eventually result in a grease fire. Adding moisture is never my intent.

JEStucker
06-01-2018, 04:34 PM
I've got an old pizza pan that fits nicely over my coal basket...
I've never even drilled any holes in it and it seems to work great (grate)...

jermoQ
06-01-2018, 04:53 PM
I use this one that is like the vortex basket topper. Aluminum pizza pan, cut four slots 4 or 5 inches from center. I previously had small holes only, but then decided to modify

el luchador
06-01-2018, 04:56 PM
I think one of the biggest issues with a typical UN rated drum is the height. Without a diffuser plate (or water pan) it turns a drum into a glorified charcoal grill or direct heat cooker, not an indirect heat smoker. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought it was about cooking the meat with indirect hot air and flavoring it with rubs/sauce and smoke.

Hope that didn't come out the wrong way. Building my first drum now. Have seen/cooked on a brand name drum a couple times but know very little about them.

I think the difference is more about low & slow vs. hot & fast. The hot & fast guys (from what I've seen) typically use a diffuser while the low & slow guys tend to try and look for a solution to retain (or add) moisture.

Just my $0.02.

Imo the drum is too tall not too short. If I wanted just indirect heat I would use a side offset burning charcoal.

The beauty of the uds is it allows direct cooking over the coals which adds an extra layer of flavor. Direct cooking in my experience also results in faster cooking and the closer the meat is to the infrared, the faster it cooks, even at the same temp setting

Try it both ways and see which one you like better

Ole Man Dan
06-07-2018, 01:03 PM
I use a foil pan with water and Apple Juice on the lower rack. Drippings go into the water. Takes a few minutes longer to get up to temp, but I have even temps and no flare ups.

Mr.OiSat
06-07-2018, 01:17 PM
I use a stainless steel pan that sits on the fire basket. I used to fill it half way with pebbles to help stabilise temperatures but since I "updated" the bottom of my drum theres no more need for that so I leave it empty just to prevent drippings on the coals.

From the baconarea of bratwurstcountry

guero_gordo
06-07-2018, 02:17 PM
I ran with four briskets on racks and felt that it would have helped since the bottom rack was fat to the fire while the top was totally indirect. First fix is to put in bracket for hanging them instead, but think I'll cut down the original drum lid for a vortex-style diffuser anyway. Have no other use for a round hunk of steel atm

Blythewood BBQ'er
06-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Use the holy pizza pan. Just feel it makes it a better indirect cooker.

el luchador
06-07-2018, 06:35 PM
If I were to use a diffuser I would get this for 9 bucks.
About 20 " diameter

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-smokey-22-replacement-bottom-grate#repChildCatid=638906

KevinJ
06-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Have a Vortex Fire Basket no need for a diffuser.