PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Traeger Professional "Made in the USA"

chiefblue
05-30-2018, 01:53 PM
I purchased my Traeger "Professional" in August of 2008. I believe it was the last year they were family owned and made in the USA (I could be wrong). I've had many cooks on it and have left it outside, uncovered in the Iowa weather in Spring, Summer, and Fall (no winters). The pellets have never gotten wet nor have the inside of the grill. It's worked flawlessly for 10 years so far! The only thing I had to do was replace one bolt/nut on the piece that holds prevents the lid from going back to far. It has two bolts/nuts and only one had come loose and vanished :). It costs $.31 to replace it.

This has me wondering who else has a 10+-year-old pellet grill still in use and what parts have you've had to replace.

smoke ninja
05-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Most impressive having to call a repairman to fix my smoker is a limiting reagent to me buying a pellet cooker. I can see it already.....

Ninja calls customer support.

"Did you unplug it for 60 sec and plug it back in?"

hogzgonewild
05-30-2018, 02:59 PM
On the other hand, I have a Yoder YS640 that lost the Igniter and the Temperature probe. Replaced both of those and now every time I cook, the pellet hopper catches on fire. Yoder says it has lost its seal and is getting too much airflow back into the hopper.

Flatbroke
05-30-2018, 07:37 PM
Are the Legs welded or bolted on to the bottom of the cook chamber?

chiefblue
05-30-2018, 08:00 PM
I had to go look! They are welded.

Flatbroke
05-30-2018, 08:04 PM
I had to go look! They are welded.
I got mine mine in 2007. it is welded too. the Chinese ones have bolted legs.
I have had my auger jam multiple times and sheered the bolt 1 time. you have to disassemble it to fix. it is currently jammed now. probably stay that way. I also had the detent rod go out once

chiefblue
05-30-2018, 08:08 PM
I've only used Traeger pellets. Not sure if that kept it from jamming, but it never has. I've wanted a new pellet grill and like the Yoders and Maks but just can't bring myself to replacing her. Keeps really good even temps too.

Ed Embry
05-30-2018, 08:17 PM
I bought my Traeger Steer in 2008, I believe it was the last year they made the model. I've only had to change the hot rod out last year. Have literally used it hundreds of times :thumb:

chiefblue
05-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Here are some pictures.

Thrown in one of my Hasty-Bake Gourmet Charcoal