PDA

View Full Version : 1st Brisket...

pjtexas1
05-29-2018, 09:55 PM
For a friend of mine. I've been cooking for him for years. I've been swamped lately so he called wanting pointers on cooking a brisket on a BGE that he was given. He didn't even know what the convection/smoking stone thing was much less that he had one. :heh:

Gave him some pointers on temp and probing. Think he did pretty darn good for never doing one before. He was pumped and his family was very impressed. His son requested my brisket for his graduation party but I can't pull it off. Just like any good father he did what he could for his kid. I doubt he'll be needing me anymore...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/d7c4690c6d34d9fed3a1d59af130f73c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/9cc0f0eef354adf26cdc02f5856e9796.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikemci
05-29-2018, 10:35 PM
And so it begins.
Looks like you taught him well !!

frognot
05-30-2018, 12:08 AM
Fine looking' first brisket!

razorbrewer
05-30-2018, 05:52 AM
Okay I'm intrigued by the fine looking smoke ring (cosmetic only, I know). I find it pretty difficult to achieve one on a ceramic. What's your cooking temp and smoking wood of choice? Chips or chunks?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 06:04 AM
I'll have to get the details. We just talked about 300 getting it done quicker and to make sure and use some wood for flavor. He was going to buy the rub and wood and didn't mention anything about which wood he liked. He was supposed to buy the Fiesta brand brisket rub. He loves everything they make.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-30-2018, 06:58 AM
Nice.

A person can always cook a brisket for someone and get a good thanks, but too teach them to cook a brisket will always result in a lifetime gratification. You have just made your friend a champion of his neighborhood and family and that's what BBQ is all about.

sudsandswine
05-30-2018, 07:16 AM
I remember my first brisket many years ago - it did not turn out like that. :oops: I didn't really know anyone into barbecue, so there was a lot of trial and error (error mostly) on my part. Now I try to help others out that express interest in learning so I get all sorts of questions now which I don't mind at all....except when I spend the time answering all the questions and they go ahead and do the opposite anyway. :evil: Looks like your buddy heeded your advice well :thumb:

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Okay I'm intrigued by the fine looking smoke ring (cosmetic only, I know). I find it pretty difficult to achieve one on a ceramic. What's your cooking temp and smoking wood of choice? Chips or chunks?

300, B&B oak lump, no wood. Cooked nekkid for 8 hours.

Springram
05-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Paul, I just did not realize you were such a nice guy. Looks like you gave him some great pointers.

Czarbecue
05-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Is that just the flat or did he trim most of the fat off?

qnbiker
05-30-2018, 08:58 AM
For a friend of mine. I've been cooking for him for years. I've been swamped lately so he called wanting pointers on cooking a brisket on a BGE that he was given. He didn't even know what the convection/smoking stone thing was much less that he had one. :heh:

Gave him some pointers on temp and probing. Think he did pretty darn good for never doing one before. He was pumped and his family was very impressed. His son requested my brisket for his graduation party but I can't pull it off. Just like any good father he did what he could for his kid. I doubt he'll be needing me anymore...

One of the great things about barbecue is sharing your knowledge with others and it looks like you did a great job with your friend. As for him not needing you anymore, I think you are underestimating your influence. I taught my bil how to Q and now he is very competent, frequently cooking for large groups, and may be a better Q'er than me. Still, from time to time he will ask for my advice or ask me to help when catering a party. You always remember the one who taught you.

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Paul, I just did not realize you were such a nice guy. Looks like you gave him some great pointers.It was a one time thing. Didn't feel right being nice...

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Is that just the flat or did he trim most of the fat off?That was an HEB "super trimmed" brisket.

Bols
05-30-2018, 04:16 PM
That is a nice smoke ring. Looks good!

Ag76
05-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Good job, Coach.

HogGrog
05-30-2018, 05:00 PM
It was a one time thing. Didn't feel right being nice...

Paul - did you forget that “mentor” is abbreviated from “tormentor”? :razz: Good for you and him!!

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 05:25 PM
One of the great things about barbecue is sharing your knowledge with others and it looks like you did a great job with your friend. As for him not needing you anymore, I think you are underestimating your influence. I taught my bil how to Q and now he is very competent, frequently cooking for large groups, and may be a better Q'er than me. Still, from time to time he will ask for my advice or ask me to help when catering a party. You always remember the one who taught you.He called today. Needed help with planning his next cook. Cooking 2 briskets but can only cook one at a time. Went over holding for long periods of time.

... You called it!

Burnt at Both Endz
05-30-2018, 06:13 PM
He called today. Needed help with planning his next cook. Cooking 2 briskets but can only cook one at a time. Went over holding for long periods of time.

... You called it!

Sounds like he needs a bigger smoker. Tell him the bug has bitten and it won't get any cheaper!

Smoking Piney
05-30-2018, 07:42 PM
That's a fine looking cook. :thumb:

I hope you have him hooked.

Czarbecue
05-30-2018, 09:56 PM
He called today. Needed help with planning his next cook. Cooking 2 briskets but can only cook one at a time. Went over holding for long periods of time.

... You called it!

You didn't give him Smitty's number to take that vertical off his hands? I am sure Smitty will deliver...

pjtexas1
05-30-2018, 09:59 PM
You didn't give him Smitty's number to take that vertical off his hands? I am sure Smitty will deliver...I did try to get him to try Adkins brisket rub...

WareZdaBeef
05-30-2018, 10:14 PM

It has nothing to do with the smoke, and everything to do with the heat source.