PDA

View Full Version : Packer and Butt....

Chopjaw
05-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Hey all,

Whelp I'm turning 50 Tomorrow and the wife has decided to buy me a pellet smoker for my BDay. I have 14lb shoulder (boneless) and 17lb packer that I have to get on this Blaz'n GridIron pellet smoker. Since I have never smoked on one before (or any pellet), I guess my question is how does a pellet react to 31lbs of meat? I plan on cooking at 225 and figure that I need to have this meat going by Midnight on Friday to have it ready on Saturday @ 5pm dinner..

If it was on my Backwoods then I'd be MONEY with a 14hr cook. BUT I have never cooked on a pellet and to be honest I'm kinda confused on time. So can any of you help a brother out and give me some knowledge.....

To be honest I kinda tired of tending the fire and watching the temps. So my Backwoods cabinet will not be used unless I dont like this pellet thing. I have to give it a try so my wife doesn't get angry because I didn't use her new toy..

Oh yea I said Butt in the title even though I have a shoulder. It just sounded better...:)

jmellor
05-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the new cooker...will both those big cuts fit? Otherwise I would treat it a normal cook and probably go a little higher given the size of the shoulder and brisket and then lower to the run rate you want a couple hours in...

The Wookiee
05-30-2018, 02:49 AM
225 to start to lay on the smoke then bump to 250/275 around stall zone if needed for time. I do similar cooks on mine (eat at 5p usually put on between 10p and midnight depending on size of flesh; leaves enough time for resting too).

Painfully easy. Put some temp probes in there to give you something to do/follow...

Your plan seems sound.

Chopjaw
05-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the new cooker...will both those big cuts fit? Otherwise I would treat it a normal cook and probably go a little higher given the size of the shoulder and brisket and then lower to the run rate you want a couple hours in...

Yea they should. I'll let you know....:thumb: