PDA

View Full Version : Carolina vinegar sauce question

Rib Rub
05-29-2018, 05:27 PM
Hey Yíall

My wife asked me to whip up a Carolina style vinegar sauce, however she does not like apple cider vinegar. I know, I deal with this crap all the time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Anybody got a quick recipe for a good easy vinegar based sauce? I made a Butt yesterday and we have plenty left over. Itís whatís for dinner! Thanks

WareZdaBeef
05-29-2018, 05:39 PM
I prefer red wine vinegar over apple cider. Its not as harsh on the throat. But i use red bbq sauces so it works well. I would suggest rice vinegar if you dont want to change the color of the sauce.

thigpen1
05-29-2018, 05:44 PM
My vinegar sauce calls for 1 1/2 cup of ACV, this is pretty tart, so I went with 1 cup ACV and 1/2 cup apple juice. Cut's downs on the strong vinegar taste. If I have time I like to make mine a couple days in advance which helps to smooth it out.

16Adams
05-29-2018, 09:15 PM
https://bbqbeat.com/eastern-carolina-bbq-sauce-recipes/

Lots of ways to get good Q Sauce. Use a decent cheap drinking wine in lieu of ACV. Or Fish Sauce or oyster Sauce or Apple juice. MSU- you may hit a home run.

chingador
05-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Rice wine vinegar is always a good option

weave1499
05-29-2018, 09:38 PM
I went to HS and college in NC. Love the stuff. Chris Lilly’s recipes for 2 different kinds are both great. One is really simple, the other adds a little ketchup and some other ingredients and it reminds me of the sauce at a legendary place in Salisbury, NC called Frankie’s chicken shack. His whole first book is tremendous, but those 2 recipes would be good for you. Neither use ACV.

Michigan BBQ Fan
05-29-2018, 09:58 PM
My main goto recipe for a NC style sauce calls for White Vinegar. I will usually substitute ACV and/or Rice Vinegar as I feel they add more flavor. My favorite NC style recipe (currently) is from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills & Amy Mills Tunnicliffe. In my area (the Midwest) it never goes over as well as thick and sweet KC style sauce.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rco0e9.jpg

1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 taplespoons sugar
1 tablesppon unsulfured molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons pectin(Sure-Jell)
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika (often I use smoked)

(Note - I typically will add 1tsp of Mike's "Magic Dust" along with 1 tsp of whatever rub I'm using.

Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

This weekend I named it "Kickin' Vinegar" so people would know what they were getting when they grabbed the bottle.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2888il2.jpg

Enjoy. Let us know what you settle on for your wife's new favorite Vinegar sauce.

WareZdaBeef
05-29-2018, 10:06 PM
I never use ACV, i am just curious how this became a thing in homemade cooking, because almost no commercial bbq sauces actually use AVC,

BillATL
05-30-2018, 01:12 PM
I use ACV in my sauces but many of the folks around Carolina I knew growing up just used plain old cheap white vinegar. Use whatever you like.

The simplest sauce is just to toss some salt and red pepper flakes (or a shake or two of hot sauce) into a bottle filled with vinegar. A lot of times I just fill up an empty Worcestershire Sauce bottle with vinegar and add a tablespoon of whatever rub I put on my butts. If you really want a recipe, it's hard to beat the Shack Attack Sauce that runs around this forum pretty often. Copied from a post by Boshizzle:

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

Rib Rub
05-30-2018, 03:06 PM
My main goto recipe for a NC style sauce calls for White Vinegar. I will usually substitute ACV and/or Rice Vinegar as I feel they add more flavor. My favorite NC style recipe (currently) is from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills & Amy Mills Tunnicliffe. In my area (the Midwest) it never goes over as well as thick and sweet KC style sauce.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rco0e9.jpg

1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 taplespoons sugar
1 tablesppon unsulfured molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons pectin(Sure-Jell)
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika (often I use smoked)

(Note - I typically will add 1tsp of Mike's "Magic Dust" along with 1 tsp of whatever rub I'm using.

Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

This weekend I named it "Kickin' Vinegar" so people would know what they were getting when they grabbed the bottle.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2888il2.jpg

Enjoy. Let us know what you settle on for your wife's new favorite Vinegar sauce.

I will try this next time. My wife asked for sweeter! This might be more her style. Thank you for sharing, sounds good!

Last night I did this and it worked. I really liked it and she did as well. I would have added a little cayenne pepper, but she asked that I not, however turned out pretty good.

1/2 cup ACV
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons of Brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Franks Red Hot
1 tablespoon of Ketchup
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of ground pepper
1 teaspoon of Red Pepper flake

Tatanka
05-30-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm assuming by Carolina sauce you mean a mustard based sauce. I used to use ACV for my pork sauce but over time have moved toward two parts white wine vinegar to one part white vinegar and prefer the taste. With beef I use red wine vinegar and a dose of balsamic with it.

Smokie185
05-30-2018, 06:42 PM
While this not a NC sauce, it is very good.

1 cup sugar ( I use brown sugar )

1/4 cup salt ( Kosher )

2 tablespoons celery seed

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground red pepper

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon chili powder

2 quarts ketchup

2 cups apple vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Cook's Note
Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Directions

Step 1

In a small bowl, mix together sugar, salt, celery seed, cumin, red pepper, and garlic and chili powders. Set aside.
Step 2

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dry ingredients, and mix well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I like to simmer mine for an hour to blend the spices.

Monkey Uncle
05-30-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm assuming by Carolina sauce you mean a mustard based sauce.

No, no, no, mustard is SOUTH Carolina. That's heresy in the real Carolina. :wink:

SirPorkaLot
05-30-2018, 07:19 PM
No, no, no, mustard is SOUTH Carolina. That's heresy in the real Carolina. :wink:

Thank you!
I get tired of correcting everyone.

Leave the Mustard in SC

OklaDustDevil
05-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Depends on whether you want E NC (no tomato) or W NC (tomato), but you can substitute white vinegar for apple cider vinegar in any of the NC recipes. The one I have (which I got from this forum) that specifically calls for white vinegar is a West NC recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon Morton's coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

I also have heard of some folks making E and W NC sauces using 50-50 ACV and white vinegar, so if you think you can get by with that, it's another alternative.

lantern
05-30-2018, 07:57 PM

I love this comment! LOL!

OklaDustDevil
05-30-2018, 09:18 PM
I'm assuming by Carolina sauce you mean a mustard based sauce.

Please do not make this comment in North Carolina. Seriously. As we say in Texas, them's fightin words. Seriously.

BillATL
05-31-2018, 10:11 AM

No, no, no. Mustard is only in part of the real Carolina - which isn't that part up north that wants to pretend it's Virginia, by the way. Somewhere near the SC/NC boarder, long long ago, God reached down to earth and taught men how to make barbecue. Sadly, the exact recipe has been lost, but it appears that you are supposed to cook a whole hog (butts/shoulders ok when cooking for a smaller crowd, but sharing with your family and neighbors is better), dressed with a spicy vinegar sauce and served with cheap white buns or cornbread. A little coleslaw on that sandwich adds some crunch. As you move away from the (sadly lost in time) epicenter of barbecue revelation, people add to this recipe with things like ketchup or mustard, which can, no doubt, be delicious, but is not barbecue as God intended (tm). :wink:

cats49er
05-31-2018, 01:05 PM
No, no, no. Mustard is only in part of the real Carolina - which isn't that part up north that wants to pretend it's Virginia, by the way. Somewhere near the SC/NC boarder, long long ago, God reached down to earth and taught men how to make barbecue. Sadly, the exact recipe has been lost, but it appears that you are supposed to cook a whole hog (butts/shoulders ok when cooking for a smaller crowd, but sharing with your family and neighbors is better), dressed with a spicy vinegar sauce and served with cheap white buns or cornbread. A little coleslaw on that sandwich adds some crunch. As you move away from the (sadly lost in time) epicenter of barbecue revelation, people add to this recipe with things like ketchup or mustard, which can, no doubt, be delicious, but is not barbecue as God intended (tm). :wink:

And you finish it off with a big old bowl of nana pudding.:grin:

Cook
05-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Here is how I see things...being a native of Eastern NC and all...use whatever vinegar you like, but ACV or White Distilled is the only way to create a North Carolina or SC PeeDee vinegar & pepper barbecue sauce. All the other vinegars are ok to use, but you're creating something different in the process.

Also, if you're tasting vinegar in your barbecue, you likely already added too much (so it really shouldn't matter what type of vinegar you used...therefor you might as well use the real stuff & make it the right way).

JQHigginsIII
05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
I offer this link. Just mix the packet into 1 gallon of ACV. Great on pork and chicken.

You need to like a strong pepper flavor and make sure to shake between applications.

http://www.charliemillsbbqsauce.com/

Rib Rub
05-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Depends on whether you want E NC (no tomato) or W NC (tomato), but you can substitute white vinegar for apple cider vinegar in any of the NC recipes. The one I have (which I got from this forum) that specifically calls for white vinegar is a West NC recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon Morton's coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

I also have heard of some folks making E and W NC sauces using 50-50 ACV and white vinegar, so if you think you can get by with that, it's another alternative. Thanks! Pretty close to what I made. I will give this one a shot next time. The apple juice might give it something.

Rib Rub
05-31-2018, 05:05 PM
Here is how I see things...being a native of Eastern NC and all...use whatever vinegar you like, but ACV or White Distilled is the only way to create a North Carolina or SC PeeDee vinegar & pepper barbecue sauce. All the other vinegars are ok to use, but you're creating something different in the process.

Also, if you're tasting vinegar in your barbecue, you likely already added too much (so it really shouldn't matter what type of vinegar you used...therefor you might as well use the real stuff & make it the right way).Personally, I love vinegar, I could drink the stuff alone. I actually love the ACV. The wife is the one, she can taste it immediately. I made a sauce the other other night and cut it with with Vinegar and ACV and she could tell I used it. I just told her that if she donít like it, donít eat it. Pull some pork and eat they way she likes!! She actually liked what I made, so happy wife, happy life! Thanks for the feedback!

Rib Rub
05-31-2018, 05:17 PM
No, no, no. Mustard is only in part of the real Carolina - which isn't that part up north that wants to pretend it's Virginia, by the way. Somewhere near the SC/NC boarder, long long ago, God reached down to earth and taught men how to make barbecue. Sadly, the exact recipe has been lost, but it appears that you are supposed to cook a whole hog (butts/shoulders ok when cooking for a smaller crowd, but sharing with your family and neighbors is better), dressed with a spicy vinegar sauce and served with cheap white buns or cornbread. A little coleslaw on that sandwich adds some crunch. As you move away from the (sadly lost in time) epicenter of barbecue revelation, people add to this recipe with things like ketchup or mustard, which can, no doubt, be delicious, but is not barbecue as God intended (tm). :wink:I have never seen a recipe with Tomato sauce added? Seen ketchup.

Personally my ideal sauce is

ACV
Water
Cayenne Pepper
Ground Pepper
Kosher Salt
Brown Sugar.

Thats all folks!

WareZdaBeef
05-31-2018, 05:42 PM
Personally, I love vinegar, I could drink the stuff alone. I actually love the ACV. The wife is the one, she can taste it immediately. I made a sauce the other other night and cut it with with Vinegar and ACV and she could tell I used it. I just told her that if she donít like it, donít eat it. Pull some pork and eat they way she likes!! She actually liked what I made, so happy wife, happy life! Thanks for the feedback!

I am in the same boat as your wife. I can not use ACV in anything i cook. I can instantly feel my throat start to burn and cause me to cough and get rasp voice.

Monkey Uncle
05-31-2018, 07:25 PM
I have never seen a recipe with Tomato sauce added? Seen ketchup.

Personally my ideal sauce is

ACV
Water
Cayenne Pepper
Ground Pepper
Kosher Salt
Brown Sugar.

Thats all folks!

Leave out the water and the brown sugar, and then (as Bill says) you have BBQ the way God intended it.

WareZdaBeef
05-31-2018, 08:12 PM
Leave out the water and the brown sugar, and then (as Bill says) you have BBQ the way God intended it.

You can avoid water completely if you remove ACV and replace with rice or white vinegar.