PDA

View Full Version : Brisket "Probe Tender" Temp?

darita
05-29-2018, 08:52 AM
I've read that generally, 195* to 205* is the probe tender range for brisket. Can that temp go higher? What happens to brisket when you go past the probe tender temp? Will it go dry? Will it go mushy? Anyone have experience with this?

sudsandswine
05-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Depends on lots of factors, such as but not limited to fat content of the meat, cook temp, etc. When cooking at higher temps 275*+ my finish temps are more like 210-212* but I let probe texture be the ultimate guide. Overcooked brisket will usually be dry and crumbly, be hard to slice without falling apart, etc.

KevinJ
05-29-2018, 09:53 AM
The hotter you cook the higher the pull temp will be, I don't really pay attention to temps at all. I do probe for tenderness with a Thermapen so I'll see the temps when probing, I like to cook at 300+ so I usually see temps in the 2teens when it's ready to pull.

el luchador
05-29-2018, 10:02 AM
if you cook past the point of tenderness you start losing moisture and it will dry out.

SmoothBoarBBQ
05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
I agree with some others in that it will vary, but I've found that if I cook low and slow I get to probe tender at around 198. If I cook hot and fast I find probe tender to usually be 205-208. The highest I've ever had to go is 211 and that was with a Walmart Select brisket, but it ended up being very good.

Monkey Uncle
05-29-2018, 07:26 PM
The last one I cooked was a Sam's Club prime. It went about 13 hours at around 250 in my WSM. Pulled it at 207*, but it could have gone just a little longer. It was real close though (sliced and chewed easily).

pjtexas1
05-29-2018, 08:23 PM
I cook 300 plus and mostly over 210.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcdeadstein
05-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Good topic, I cook generally in the 275-300 range. First couple briskets I noticed they were temping at 203 and the point was butter but the flats were not quite there even after resting. Since then I have pushed the temps up to the 208 range and just perservered until that flat was tender. For me, the point is butter smooth and the flat seems to be more like peanut butter texture when probing. But since I started pushing the temp past the magical Franklin "203" number my briskets have gotten much better.

IamMadMan
05-29-2018, 09:08 PM
What happens to brisket when you go past the probe tender temp? Will it go dry? Will it go mushy? Anyone have experience with this?

Undercooked will seem tough and dry, overcooked will fall apart (crumble) as you try to slice it

Ag76
05-29-2018, 10:26 PM
Good topic, I cook generally in the 275-300 range. First couple briskets I noticed they were temping at 203 and the point was butter but the flats were not quite there even after resting. Since then I have pushed the temps up to the 208 range and just perservered until that flat was tender. For me, the point is butter smooth and the flat seems to be more like peanut butter texture when probing. But since I started pushing the temp past the magical Franklin "203" number my briskets have gotten much better.

The point will probe tender sooner than the flat. Don't pull it off until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-30-2018, 07:01 AM
Undercooked will seem tough and dry, overcooked will fall apart (crumble) as you try to slice it

.and overcook will always be better than undercooked!

mcdeadstein
05-30-2018, 07:08 AM
Right, this was the lesson learned. I originally kept thinking "well the point is buttery and Franklin has mentioned 203 a number of times...and the flat isn't terrible so it must get better as it rests". That was the wrong way of thinking so now I do exactly what you mentioned its gotta probe tender all over for me but the thickest part of the flat is a good overall testing point.

Really imo, it wasn't until i just said screw it and decided to push a brisket to pulled beef territory that I actually found the sweetspot. Now I know what undercooked through overcooked probes like.

The point will probe tender sooner than the flat. Don't pull it off until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.

scp
05-30-2018, 07:40 AM
I usualy see the at 200-205...had one go to 212...then yesterday...first check was at 192 and probed tender...2 hr cooler rest...and found it could have been pulled a lil earlier.

So you never know.

smoke ninja
05-30-2018, 08:08 AM
I finish at lower pit temp and pull temp is in the mid 190s

andre2955
05-30-2018, 09:02 AM
I cook at 275. I pull when 1) probe tender, 2) 195 at thickest spot. This is usually in the middle of brisket (packer cut). My flat usually lags behind the thicker point because it is more heavily protected by a small water pan from the heat (cooking on BGE indirect set up). Once done, foiled, wrapped in towel, and into soft-sided Buc-cees insulated cooler (has to be a Buc-cees, i'm not sure why - for luck I guess) for 2-4 hour rest.

This method was discovered by accident in first BBQ competition (very small, non-sanctioned) when I lost control of temp and finished way ahead of schedule for turn in. Won best brisket - and have kept same routine ever since. Was targeting 225 but ran up to 280 and finished 4 hours ahead of planned schedule.

el luchador
05-30-2018, 09:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrbNKcIou8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDZ0_849NU

harry soo how to tell your meat is ready