PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering baby backs

PnkPanther
05-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Recently when I make ribs, I tend to make beef ribs, and today decided to visit an old friend.

ShadowDriver
05-28-2018, 06:32 PM
Beautiful color on those.

Hope they're as tender as you'd like.

Out of curiosity, what'd you rub 'em with and it looks like they've got a little bit of glaze right there at the end?

Have a great night. Those'll eat right where you hold 'em!

PnkPanther
05-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Beautiful, color on those.

Hope they're as tender as you'd like.

Out of curiosity, what'd you rub 'em with and it looks like they've got a little bit of glaze right there at the end?

Have a great night. Those'll eat right where you hold 'em!

Plowboys bovine bold

And correct, small amount of bbq sauce to finish. I alternate between sauced and Unsauced

gtr
05-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Nice!

I hear ya - I haven't made bb's in a while, and I had some that were cooked very well at a cookout yesterday and kinda rediscovered them - love those things!

Michigan BBQ Fan
05-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Great looking ribs. Thanks for sharing. I'm set to make a few racks of Baby Backs in the next few weeks. Happy Smokin'

LordRiffenstein
05-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Looking really good!

93_confirmed
05-29-2018, 04:15 PM
I've always cooked spares. What's the different between these and baby backs in terms of amount of meat, texture, etc.

dadsr4
05-29-2018, 05:10 PM
I'm looking at those ribs and the bones look too straight to be babybacks. They look more like St. Louis cut spares. Still a good looking cook.

dadsr4
05-29-2018, 05:35 PM
I've always cooked spares. What's the different between these and baby backs in terms of amount of meat, texture, etc.
Baby backs are cut from just below the spine, in the loin region. They are lean and have less flavor, kind of like white meat chicken. Spares are cut from the sternum up, are fattier, and have more flavor.

Stingerhook
05-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Nice looking bones.

BillN
05-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Nice job on the cook and yes it's hard to beat a good rack of BB's.

PnkPanther
05-29-2018, 06:56 PM
I'm looking at those ribs and the bones look too straight to be babybacks. They look more like St. Louis cut spares. Still a good looking cook.

Just angle of the photo, they were baby backs. They narrowed on one side and were curvy. You're not the first to think that

dsp2
05-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Just angle of the photo, they were baby backs. They narrowed on one side and were curvy. You're not the first to think that

Thanks for the post. I cooked two racks of babybacks on the WSM the other day. First time in ages for me.

I rubbed then smoked about 3 hours at about 250*. Then I sauced one and put into foil. The other went as-is into the foil.

I let them go too long. Maybe 90 min in foil. Wanted 60, but was hosting a bunch of folks. Not a good excuse, but I thought an extra 30 min wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Mind you, they were tasty. I had too much food and only served the sauced ones, which looked really pretty. I was just extremely careful cutting them as they wanted to fall apart. The eaters all said "that means they're good!" They might have been being kind, though I do think it's true that the whole "fall off the bone" thing is pervasive. I like them with a little more bite.

Thanks for the post!

aerotech11
05-29-2018, 11:01 PM
I cook babybacks more than St. Louis style. Seem to be more abundant around here. I agree with them having a bit of a bite rather then fall off the bone but that’s is what most people judge a good rib by. Most that don’t cook themselves.

70monte
05-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Nice looking ribs. When I cook ribs, they are usually BB's. I also don't foil mine or sauce them.

Joe Black
05-30-2018, 08:38 PM
I cook baby backs most of the time. Swift’s Premium baby loin backs from Costco are my favorite. There is a lot of loin meat and flavor. These usually cook for me to the bend point at 260-275* in about 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Then, I will sauce/ glaze them on the meat side twice for 15 minutes each time. They will have a nice pull. I don’t like FOTB. Foil will make them over done.

Give this method. I use it all the time and it works well for me. Good luck, Joe

thirdeye
05-31-2018, 07:19 AM
Good lookin' ribs. Regardless of which ribs are one's personal favorite... it's always a good idea to keep your various rib techniques tuned up. You never know when you will stumble onto a great sale or have guests that prefer something that might not be your personal favorite.

For example, I prefer St. Louis cut dry ribs with a competition style of tug. But I can (and will) cook a fall-off-the-bone baby back rib with a nice glaze because I know people that prefer that style.

locosmoke
05-31-2018, 07:54 AM
I usually cook B.B. and I usually cook them to fall off the bone . I prefer more bite to my ribs and have cooked them that way before but the fam prefers them more tender so pls the masses.

g257945
05-31-2018, 09:06 AM
I did 3 racks of B.B. over the past holiday weekend, Memphis dry rub Malcom Reed style. 4 hours at 250 over applewood. Mopped every 45 minutes. No wrap. My best yet. :thumb:

Scott

cowgirl
05-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Great lookin' ribs, Panther!