PDA

View Full Version : Slicer question

sjb67
05-28-2018, 05:10 PM
I have a 12" cabelas commercial slicer I bought to slice bacon with. I have to just about freeze my bellies to get nice uniform slices. Do those of you with Berkel and Globe slicers have this problem? If I just have it good and chilled it pulls the belly between the table and body and tapers the slice. It wads it up behind the blade instead of falling in slices to the bottom. I have adjusted the table and scraper as close as I can.

IamMadMan
05-28-2018, 05:45 PM
I have a Berkel and have never had tapered cuts.

Could you be pushing the meat too quickly into the blade causing it to bunch up and change the elevation of the meat? Check your tray and holder.

Have you made sure that your blade is sharp enough? Wadding up behind the blade, this would be the first thing I look at.

ssv3
05-28-2018, 05:55 PM
What MadMan said. I have a Berkel as well and have no issues. One other thing I'd suggest is to not put pressure on your strokes and let it just glide on it's own.

sjb67
05-28-2018, 05:56 PM
This is the third time I have used it. I tried sharpening the blade with the attachment with no difference. I put very little pressure but will try little to no pressure. I appreciate all the suggestions you make.

Norm
05-28-2018, 06:05 PM
It sounds like the arbor for the blade is off. Mine's pretty consistent even when the blade needs sharpening.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-C4HPQqP/0/68383067/XL/i-C4HPQqP-XL.jpg

If you have warranty I'd look into having it fixed.

sjb67
05-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Just spoke to Cabelas and they will refund my money since it is a Cabelas branded product.
There are several Berkel, Globe and Hobart slicers in my area on 5mile and Craigslist.