PDA

View Full Version : Going by feel today, not temp

aks801
05-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Got that 13.5# Choice brisket on the WSM. Put it in the smoke this morning at 8:20. WSM has been running pretty steady at 275 today. Pretty much where I want it.

About 1:15 I checked in on it, and the color looked good. I had spritzed it a few times with Worcestershire/H20. Anyway, decided to go ahead and wrap it in pink butcher paper. Thought I'd do a probe test and check for temp with my (white) Thermopop. No power! Guess the battery doesn't last forever. So, not by choice you understand but today I'll be pulling it solely on the jiggle test and the probe test.

We'll see how it goes! :)

BillN
05-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Prob test IMO is the best way, temps are simply to let you know when your getting close.

aerotech11
05-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Prob test IMO is the best way, temps are simply to let you know when your getting close.

+1 for the probe test. Gave up on temps after the last fiasco.

sudsandswine
05-28-2018, 04:11 PM

My consistency in turning out good briskets improved greatly once I forced myself to disregard temperature and go solely on probe feel.

CptKaos
05-28-2018, 04:23 PM
My consistency in turning out good briskets improved greatly once I forced myself to disregard temperature and go solely on probe feel.

Ditto dude
And a good rest period
Larry

JEStucker
05-28-2018, 04:24 PM
my thermometer is there for baseline readings and to get me "into the ballpark" of where I want to be. I will generally get to my goal internal temperature, and use that as my queue to wrap and rest. Close down the dampers on the smoker and let her idle for a couple of hours until I can probe and jiggle that money muscle.

KevinJ
05-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Never cooked a Brisket to a specific temp, if I wasn't checking for probe tenderness with the Thermapen I wouldn't even know and never make note of it.

mikemci
05-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Like CptKaos said....the rest is just as important as the feel. Include that time in all of your large meat cooks. Be sure to let it sit on the counter, with opened wrap (if you wrapped) for 15-20 minutes, to bleed of the residual heat, before you let it rest. Otherwise, it will continue to cook and you will have a dry, crumbly overdone brisket after the rest.
You are on the right track, don't screw it up at the end.

Kanco Connection
05-28-2018, 05:15 PM
Forget the advice above-unreliable. Just let me have some periodic bites as youíre getting close and Iíll let you know when itís done:wink:

aks801
05-28-2018, 05:28 PM
I definitely have been going more by feel than temp for some time now, but it sure is interesting not even knowing today!

Here is the brisket all rubbed this morning and ready to go. What a trouper!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=12053

This is right after I pulled it at 3:40. I dunno, looks good to me.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=12054

Wild action shot! At 4:05 I wrapped it in foil, then in beach towels then put it in this little Igloo. It will stay in there for 2 hours getting happy.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=12055

I'll take pics while slicing, then will post up sometime after dinner.

aks801
05-28-2018, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=mikemci;4004474...Be sure to let it sit on the counter, with opened wrap (if you wrapped) for 15-20 minutes, to bleed of the residual heat, before you let it rest. Otherwise, it will continue to cook and you will have a dry, crumbly overdone brisket after the rest.
You are on the right track, don't screw it up at the end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I found that out the hard way a few years back! Pulled it out of the smoke, IMMEDIATELY wrapped it in foil then let it rest a few hours. Crumble city.

Today I had it on the counter uncovered for 25 minutes before wrapping for the rest.

aks801
05-28-2018, 09:51 PM
Well it sure was good. The first 1/4 of the flat was a tad dry, perhaps, but was really good. It just happened to be pretty thin. Farther up toward the point it really was moist and delicious. The point was oh so good.

Here's what I call the "combo" section: after the flat and point are separated, this is what is right under where the flat was (i.e. after the bulk of the point is separated from this).
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=12062

Here's what I served up for dinner (left the rest of it unsliced). What I found unusual is the almost nonexistent smoke ring. I typically get a very pronounced smoke ring. Hmm.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=12063

So the result was pretty much in line with what I usually do, and not having any temp check didn't seem to influence things. Going by the probe test alone seems to work just fine.

pjtexas1
05-28-2018, 10:41 PM
Looks like a good one. As for the smoke ring... Did you change anything?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz
05-28-2018, 10:43 PM
:thumb:

aks801
05-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Looks like a good one. As for the smoke ring... Did you change anything?

I spritzed with Worcestershire/Water, and usually don't do that.

pjtexas1
05-28-2018, 11:01 PM
I spritzed with Worcestershire/Water, and usually don't do that.I was thinking of trying Worcester as a slather. I wonder if that works different than spritzing?

aerotech11
05-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Like CptKaos said....the rest is just as important as the feel. Include that time in all of your large meat cooks. Be sure to let it sit on the counter, with opened wrap (if you wrapped) for 15-20 minutes, to bleed of the residual heat, before you let it rest. Otherwise, it will continue to cook and you will have a dry, crumbly overdone brisket after the rest.
You are on the right track, don't screw it up at the end.

I just go from the cooker to the cooler for the rest. I usually wrap in butcher paper at around 165 IT then itís Done when probe tender. I have never unwrapped to let it cool off before resting and never had it crumbly. Sometimes a bit dry in the flat but always very tender and good. This last brisket I did over the weekend was the longest rest I have ever done. About 5 hours. It was very good not dry even in the flat. Iíll have to try the cool off next time. Thanks for the tip. Learn something new every day.

Titch
05-29-2018, 06:18 AM
Looks fantastic from here ,perfect for our cold weather.

LordRiffenstein
05-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Despite the lack of smoke ring, it looks excellent!