PDA

View Full Version : Question for reverse flow owners or anyone who has an opinion.

Kade
05-27-2018, 03:21 PM
I’ve always cooked briskets fat side up. Now I’m running a reverse flow (Shirley Fab). Better to cook fat side up or down? Does the plate make a difference? Thanks in advance.

Stlsportster
05-27-2018, 03:38 PM
I always cook briskets and butts fat towards the heat. Therefore down in the reverse flow Lang and in the bottom heat Pit Barrel.

sudsandswine
05-27-2018, 03:40 PM
I usually still cook fat side up on mine, unless I'm cooking on the bottom shelf close to the reverse flow plate due to the radiant heat, then I'll do fat side down.

pjtexas1
05-27-2018, 03:44 PM
I cook fat side down. Even in my RF insulated cabinet where the heat comes from the top.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Norm
05-27-2018, 04:29 PM
I don't trim very aggressively and cook fat side down.

m-fine
05-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Fat side up. There is still more airflow over the top and gravity carries the rendered fat down. The heat coming off the RF plate is not the same as heat coming off a charcoal fire so you don’t need to protect the bottom side unless you are cooking at extra high temps.

PatAttack
05-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Fat down until 160° or the color is right. Wrap and back on smoker fat side up until probe tender.

SmittyJonz
05-27-2018, 05:11 PM
I do Fat Side Down - I cook in Verticals but would do the same on any smoker........

BarneyIX
05-27-2018, 05:33 PM
I cook on an reverse flow offset stick burner and for my briskets it's always fat side down the point orientated towards the fire box the flat away. In all honesty, its probably not as impactful as it may seem.

My general idea is to use the fat to protect the meat from the heat and create a wedge like shape oriented towards the flow of the smoke. I'm fairly certain, in my case it's 100% mental but it gives me a false sense of control!

SmoothBoarBBQ
05-28-2018, 07:09 AM
Really do some testing in your cooker with bread or biscuits. Arrange them all over the cooker and smoke at about 300° for 20 minutes or so. This will show you exactly how the heat is impacting the food you're putting on the grates. I used an entire loaf of bread and spread it out over the racks of my Johnson Smokers RF cooker and everything cooked pretty evenly, but the bottom sides of all the bread (on the bottom shelf) definitely were a bit darker than the top. For this reason I do my briskets fat side down, but in all reality I have never noticed a single bit of difference doing it fat side up... just superstition I guess.

One thing I do like about going fat side down is I never have to worry about the meat sticking to the food grate.

smoke ninja
05-28-2018, 07:27 AM
I'm a flipper but it spends more time with fat cap towards the heat

mowin
05-28-2018, 08:25 AM
I'm doing one now. I always did fat side up, but this one is fat down. Curious to see if I notice any difference.

kingjman
05-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Recently read a theory on fat side down:
- melting fat juices won't rinse off the rub(which I don't buy, I spray ribs w juice w o issues)
- presentation

m-fine
05-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Never had my rub rinse off. In a RF stick burner, you should get a pretty solid bark that isn’t going to rinse off with a hose.

ncmoose
05-28-2018, 11:34 AM
I used to do fat down in BGE, now fat up in RF stick burner

OklaDustDevil
05-28-2018, 12:02 PM
The radiant heat coming off the plate at the bottom shouldn't be anything like the direct heat coming up from a vertical cooker, unless you're cookin at really high temp's. So I predict it won't matter which way you do it.

I've always cooked fat side up in the hopes the rendering fat will self-baste the meat. But of course I've read the fat won't really mix with the water in the meat. And in all my efforts to baste meat while smoking, the baste always seems to roll straight off and down into the cooker (so I never baste anymore). Thus, again, my prediction is it won't make much difference in your cooker.

Kade
05-28-2018, 12:32 PM
I'm doing one now. I always did fat side up, but this one is fat down. Curious to see if I notice any difference.

Curious as well. Let me know what you learn. Thanks.