PDA

View Full Version : Fire Bans

ironbrew
05-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Well, we are off to a "roaring" start this year. We seem to have gone from lots of snow to very warm with no real spring between. The bad part of this is we are already on fire bans. I've been using the UDS and Komado for a few years, but so far this "spring" I'm shut down.

Looking for suggestions on a pellet (electric) smoker or pellet grill.

Thanks

SmittyJonz
05-23-2018, 11:32 PM
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260320

kenthanson
05-23-2018, 11:54 PM
You got that right, fire ban in Sask was from a northern river, the Churchill, right down to the US border last weekend. That's around 600 kilometers north south and 600 kilometers east to west.

m-fine
05-24-2018, 05:13 AM
Are pellet grills OK? They are a fire burning wood pellets. The electric part is feed and control.

Czarbecue
05-24-2018, 05:28 AM
I liked what I saw at Walmart with the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 series. It’s $396 and if you bump up to the 7 series, which is an extra rack and 5 inches in vertical height, it goes to $699.

Rack dimension is 21.5”x14”. Substantially larger than my current non wood based smokers.

mike243
05-24-2018, 05:44 AM
Hate to hear about fires and restrictions you would think a enclosed fire wouldn’t matter. I picked the Austin because of the large size,i could fit a 50lbs pig on it in racing form i think,lot of choices out there and hard to pick 1 for somebody else

Jrogers84
05-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Anything but traeger :)

I feel like most smaller pellet companies get good reviews. Its honestly rare you hear anyone complain about their pellet cooker. Find a price point with features that matter to you and roll with it. Just dont buy traeger. Ive only owned one pellet cooker and although I love cooking with it it has a ton of issues I have to deal with consistently.

Sid Post
05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
...I've been using the UDS and Komado for a few years, but so far this "spring" I'm shut down.

:shock:

You can't cook in your Kamado with its enclosed 'fire'? No UDS either?

I can understand a fire bit, trash pile, etc. but, no smokers?

m-fine
05-25-2018, 09:07 PM

Run an electric wire to the UDS and Kamado and tell them that you are using an electric smoker. Get a digital controller to make it extra convincing.

kenthanson
05-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Anything but traeger :)

I feel like most smaller pellet companies get good reviews. Its honestly rare you hear anyone complain about their pellet cooker. Find a price point with features that matter to you and roll with it. Just dont buy traeger. Ive only owned one pellet cooker and although I love cooking with it it has a ton of issues I have to deal with consistently.
I used to be anti Traeger but since they got new owners a couple of years ago they have really been turning the corner.

ironbrew
05-26-2018, 09:20 AM

It’s been lifted now, but earlier it included charcoal cooking. Can’t recall the exact wording but made very clear you couldn’t use charcoal.

And yes, going to be taking advantage of the lifting this weekend.