PDA

View Full Version : Weber Briquettes for WSM?

17mbpro
05-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Just purchased a used WSM 22.5" and plan on smoking this weekend. I have a small amount Weber briquettes left over from previous grilling sessions. For my kettle I'm not overly impressed with Weber's charcoal, but I wasn't sure if it would work better in my WSM.

With the HD KBB sale going is it worth picking up another bag of Weber while I'm at it?

Thanks for the advice!

LloydQ
05-23-2018, 02:55 PM
I would go with the Kingsford and spend the savings on meat.

Harmony BBQ
05-23-2018, 03:16 PM
I agree with LloydQ, go with the Kingsford - I've used both, less ash with the Weber briquettes but for the extra cost not worth it. Don't wait to go to Home Depot this weekend, I was at the one in town earlier today and it was a mad house. Lots of everything being sold and the charcoal was moving. the sales person said they will sell out by Sunday afternoon at the latest.

Stingerhook
05-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Kingsford works for me.

ChrisBarb
05-23-2018, 04:43 PM
KBB smells really bad, though. I have been using Weber or Stubb's. Both are significantly better than KBB, IMO.

LloydQ
05-23-2018, 05:38 PM
KBB smells bad when it is starting up. So does Weber. Stubbs has never been available in my area, so I cannot speak to that. Once the white smoke clears, it is heat only. Weber does last marginally longer, but I don't see it justifying the cost.

SideSt3p
05-23-2018, 06:34 PM
I use the Kingsford All Natural briquettes they sell at Costco. And I have numerous bags of KBB also. I've never used the Weber charcoal though and I'm not a big lump fan.

scp
05-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Weber will work fine...use it up...the WSM is not very picky on charcoal. Just be sure to add your favorite smoking wood chunks. I like pecan and apple.

Czarbecue
05-23-2018, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure what smell people are talking about. It all smells like bbq time to me :heh:

aerotech11
05-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Weber works fine in the WSM as well as does Kingsford. RO briquettes work well too. As stated earlier the WSM is not very picky in its fuel usage just a great smoker all around.

Burnt to a T
05-23-2018, 07:13 PM
HD has it's sale on twin pack 18.6 lbs for $9.98. Just got a pallet today. 24 twin packs per pallet.Almost $500 for under $250.00. Store I got mine at had 700 plus bags. They already took the ad off their web page till they get more. Lowes has them as well limit of 5.

93_confirmed
05-24-2018, 12:16 PM
The Weber is more suited for smoking than grilling. The briquettes are the largest of any of the brands and burn slow and clean. I back the truck up whenever the prices drops - Lowes has them for $11.99 right now (usually $17).

upStomp
05-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Weber is pretty much all I'll use in my WSM's for as long as I can get it. It appears to me that all the Lowe's and HD's around me are not going to carry it once the current stock runs out.

ITBFQ
05-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Do yourself a favor and get some Royal Oak briquettes. Use up the Weber charcoal mixed in with it, then go all RO next time. Thank me later.

Steve S
05-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Lump, KBB, Royal Oak, etc. all works just fine in the WSM. Use whatever you like. I have used a couple of bags of the Kingsford all natural, and I liked it alot.

17mbpro
05-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! Looks like I'll be picking up some RO as well!

DRMSMKER
05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
I have found that when starting a new cook to fill my basket in my uds with new kkb and then cover the top layer or 2 with my left over coal from my last cook. Light some new coals in the chimney and wait til they are ready. Pour those on top of my old coals and let my drum come to temp. By doing this, I've experienced much much less white smoke at the beginning and throughout the entire cook.

bgross88
05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
FWIW, I have not had much luck with RO briquettes in my WSM. I bought 5 bags last year on sale. I used the 1st bag on a rib cook. Had a lot of temp issues. My WSM usually settles in around 250-260, for 10-12 hours. (I use water in the pan). With the RO, I could not get to 250 at any point in the cook; it also didn't burn as long.

Figured it might have just been a bad bag. I then used a 2nd bag on a pork butt cook. 2 butts, water in pan. Had same issues.

I then tried a 3rd bag on a few small cooks in my kettle. Wasn't happy again.

Maybe I got bad/old stuff. But I use KBB most of the time, have little issues and will continue to use it. I simply let it burn for 30-40 mins prior to adding meats. I plan sticking with it.

Your mileage may vary.....

70monte
05-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Toward the end of my use of my WSM's, I had temp issues with Kingsford. I could not get the temps up for anything. I mainly use Kingsford for grilling these days and use lump for smoking.

kevinstaggs
05-24-2018, 07:50 PM
Toward the end of my use of my WSM's, I had temp issues with Kingsford. I could not get the temps up for anything. I mainly use Kingsford for grilling these days and use lump for smoking.

It’s a weird world because I’m more the opposite - briquettes for smoking; lump for grilling. In my experience lump burns hotter and faster and sears them ribeyes G.U.D. (That’s Okie for good for y’all that don’t hablo). :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cook
05-25-2018, 08:26 AM
FWIW, I have not had much luck with RO briquettes in my WSM. I bought 5 bags last year on sale. I used the 1st bag on a rib cook. Had a lot of temp issues. My WSM usually settles in around 250-260, for 10-12 hours. (I use water in the pan). With the RO, I could not get to 250 at any point in the cook; it also didn't burn as long.

Figured it might have just been a bad bag. I then used a 2nd bag on a pork butt cook. 2 butts, water in pan. Had same issues.

I then tried a 3rd bag on a few small cooks in my kettle. Wasn't happy again.

Maybe I got bad/old stuff. But I use KBB most of the time, have little issues and will continue to use it. I simply let it burn for 30-40 mins prior to adding meats. I plan sticking with it.

Your mileage may vary.....

Put about a 1/3 ring load in my 22.5 this morning to cook some chickens (six in 8-piece cut to be exact). I had the pit screaming above 400 before I put the birds on...dropped it back down to 250 & opened all the vents back up. RO brown bag.

17mbpro
05-25-2018, 09:07 AM
I have found that when starting a new cook to fill my basket in my uds with new kkb and then cover the top layer or 2 with my left over coal from my last cook. Light some new coals in the chimney and wait til they are ready. Pour those on top of my old coals and let my drum come to temp. By doing this, I've experienced much much less white smoke at the beginning and throughout the entire cook.

So I have some left over coals in my kettle from a burger session earlier this week. Would you recommend using those in the same manner, or no since all that fat falls onto the coals while cooking on a kettle.

I used my brothers WSM a LONG time ago but pretty fuzzy about their behavior. I had a drum smoker for a few years and loved it but gave it to a friend who was interested in getting into BBQ. Then moved to a stick burner which I sold because of time constraints. I'm excited to get back into the groove off BBQ again!

DRMSMKER
05-25-2018, 09:39 AM
So I have some left over coals in my kettle from a burger session earlier this week. Would you recommend using those in the same manner, or no since all that fat falls onto the coals while cooking on a kettle.

I used my brothers WSM a LONG time ago but pretty fuzzy about their behavior. I had a drum smoker for a few years and loved it but gave it to a friend who was interested in getting into BBQ. Then moved to a stick burner which I sold because of time constraints. I'm excited to get back into the groove off BBQ again!

I've done this before and didn't notice any thing strange. After the coals start going, even ones that had beef fat on them start to burn and everything just starts smelling like it normally does with any cook so I'd say you're good to go with them.

Steve S
05-25-2018, 10:27 AM

If you can cook on the UDS, you wont have any trouble with the WSM. New out of the box it is going to want to run hot because the leaks havent all sealed up. I run with just one intake open, whichever one is on the downwind side of the smoker. Keep your exhaust wide open and go for it.

HuskyJW
05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Bring your patience.......

aks801
05-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Steve S is right, pretty much anything works well in the WSM. I really do like the Weber briquettes, but only get them when there is a sale. Otherwise it is KBB. I tried Royal Oak recently and had trouble with it, but I'm going to attribute that to a bad bag since so many people swear by it.

ulc
05-25-2018, 11:48 AM
I would try a bag before you buy bunch. I bought two Weber bags and hated the smell when I used it in WSM. I ended up using it all in the kettle for grilling. For grilling, it was fine. But Weber charcoal smelled terrible for smoking and ruined the taste of the food. Maybe I got two bad bags but I'm not buying another bag. For $10, I can get 30 lb bag of lump or two 18.6 lb bag of Kingsford. I can see why Weber charcoal is discontinued. Because it sucks.