PDA

View Full Version : To honor SirPorkAlots Carolina Q.

WilliamKY
05-22-2018, 06:09 PM
I picked up a 9lb picnic and 10lb butt today. I figured I'd get them now before this weekend when they fly off the shelf. Anyhow I cant decide if I should use lump (minimal experience using it) or stick with Royal Oak briquettes. 19 lbs is going to take some time on the UDS. Can I expect to refill a full basket of lump if I keep it around 250? Or is it going to burn hotter than that? I'm worried about high heat and disrupting the cook and temp. An advice would be appreciated.

sudsandswine
05-22-2018, 06:35 PM
I would stick to what you're used to if you dont have room for experiment errors. Are the picnic and butt 2 separate hunks of meat? If so I wouldnt really expect them to take much more time than it would normally take you to do the larger of the 2 pieces by themselves.

The first time i ran my Hunsaker drum i filled the charcoal basket about 3/4 full and it ran above 300* for something like 12 hours before i shut it down (with fuel remaining).

Good luck!

WilliamKY
05-22-2018, 06:41 PM
I would stick to what you're used to if you dont have room for experiment errors. Are the picnic and butt 2 separate hunks of meat? If so I wouldnt really expect them to take much more time than it would normally take you to do the larger of the 2 pieces by themselves.

The first time i ran my Hunsaker drum i filled the charcoal basket about 3/4 full and it ran above 300* for something like 12 hours before i shut it down (with fuel remaining).

Good luck!
That's a great point. They are separate pieces of meat about 1lb difference. The first time you used the Hunsaker was it lump or briquettes? I can nail it with briquettes but I'm really wanting to start using lump more often. This might be too big of a cook for experimenting though. I want low and slow.

SirPorkaLot
05-22-2018, 07:33 PM
I prefer briquettes with a couple of wood chunks tossed in for flavor.
The two pieces of meat shouldn’t take any longer than one butt

ShadowDriver
05-22-2018, 07:51 PM
I'd stick with what you know for this first time and get a feel for it.

That said, these two joints are very forgiving, and you should have great results.

I look forward to seeing some of your Pr0n in the process.

mrboy
05-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Two very forgiving cuts of meat that will take about anything you can throw at them.

If you've been wanting to try lump, this is a great opportunity.

Lump will burn hotter with less ash. If they get done early, wrap in two layers of foil and hold for hours in a cooler wrapped in towles. They'll just get better the longer you hold them.

Good luck and have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Springram
05-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Whatever you do, make sure to use a little more kosher salt than you think it needs.... :-D

sudsandswine
05-22-2018, 08:54 PM
That's a great point. They are separate pieces of meat about 1lb difference. The first time you used the Hunsaker was it lump or briquettes? I can nail it with briquettes but I'm really wanting to start using lump more often. This might be too big of a cook for experimenting though. I want low and slow.

I only used lump in the Hunsaker.