PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mod PBC for direct grilling?

qposner
05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
IM thinking about either adding a lower grate that is much closer to the coal basket, or adding one to raise the basket so its much closer to the top grate (easier to move flip and food on/off that way I would think). Has anyone done either of these? Any recommendations or points where the additional grate should be installed? Thanks!

worktogthr
05-21-2018, 01:43 PM
How about hanging the firebasket from the rebar and sitting the grate right on top of it? Haven't done it by myself but have seen it on a Pit Barrel Facebook forum.

Stlsportster
05-21-2018, 01:44 PM
There are a few posts in the PBCAT masterthread about raising the charcoal basket. Someone had an old propane burner leg/base that they put in the bottom to raise the basket.

Also have seen a few uses of putting the charcoal basket on the grate, then putting the rebar across the top and using another grate on top of the rebar.

SmittyJonz
05-21-2018, 01:44 PM
You could set a metal bucket upside down In The bottom and put charcoal basket on top to try it. Or bricks. I wouldn’t want to try n grill on a grate down inside the barrel. Tough to flip meat etc......

qposner
05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
You could set a metal bucket upside down In The bottom and put charcoal basket on top to try it. Or bricks. I wouldn’t want to try n grill on a grate down inside the barrel. Tough to flip meat etc......

So simple that I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that! Great idea.

Stlsportster
05-21-2018, 01:47 PM
See this...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3831468#post3831468

SmittyJonz
05-21-2018, 01:47 PM
If you try it and like grilling on it you could make a frame/stand out of angle iron to set charcoal basket on.

SmittyJonz
05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
If you try bricks it might be better to get fire bricks - reg bricks can bust from Heat........don’t use a galvanized bucket. Could use an aluminum tamale pot or something....... just make sure there is room around the bucket/pot for airflow.

Or bolt L brackets on the inside and put a grate in and charcoal basket sit on the grate. Probally Want 6” between top of charcoal basket and food grate.

SmittyJonz
05-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Or just bolts instead of L brackets......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNJiFF_eJk

qposner
05-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Or just bolts instead of L brackets......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNJiFF_eJk

Yeah, I had watched his earlier video when he installed the bolts and I was going to Copy it.

Evil-g
05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
I used turnbuckles that hang from where the grate usually sits. Got that from the Pbc thread.

qposner
05-21-2018, 06:34 PM
I used turnbuckles that hang from where the grate usually sits. Got that from the Pbc thread.

The turnbuckles just hang without somehow being locked in to the original grate posts? Then the grate just sits in the hook? Is that stable?

pharp
05-21-2018, 07:01 PM
I have two grates. I put one grate in the original spot, and the other grate on rebar.