PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook Chicken pieces on a Weber OTG?

Happy Hapgood
05-18-2018, 08:35 PM
I have tried it once with bad results. Want to do breasts and leg quarters. High heat? Indirect? Last time chicks tasted like rubber. Don't get me started on the skin. :tsk: How much coal? 300* at grill level or higher?

Thanks for any and all input. :thumb:

HankB
05-18-2018, 09:05 PM
I did thighs yesterday. Indirect behind firebrick with one chimney of lump. I had a couple chunks of mesquite in there too and IMO it was too strong. I just sprinkled the last of some commercial rub on them. Some times I marinate them in a mix of lime juice, crushed garlic and a little peanut or canola oil. The skin on the thighs yesterday was really tough. I'm not sure if it was a result of prep or just tough chickens. I'm better off not to eat the skin anyway. ;)

My favorite way to make chicken breasts is grilled chicken Caesar salad. I make some Caesar dressing and use some of it to marinate the skinless breasts. If the breasts are particularly big I split them lengthwise or cut them into slices. I don't want then thicker than about 3/4" (2cm.) Then I split the romaine hearts lengthwise, brush some dressing on them (cut side) and grill them on a hot cast iron grill direct. Then I grill the chicken. You have to watch it really carefully. I think it goes from done to hard and dry in about 30 seconds. I monitor temperature with a Thermapen.

Practice. You will get better. If it doesn't come out good enough, make chili.

WareZdaBeef
05-18-2018, 09:18 PM
I always brine for a few hours first. The for chick breasts on high heat 7 min per side. Thighs or drums i brine then boil in the brine for 10-15 min then high heat to finish.

Happy Hapgood
05-18-2018, 09:22 PM
I did thighs yesterday. Indirect behind firebrick with one chimney of lump. I had a couple chunks of mesquite in there too and IMO it was too strong. I just sprinkled the last of some commercial rub on them. Some times I marinate them in a mix of lime juice, crushed garlic and a little peanut or canola oil. The skin on the thighs yesterday was really tough. I'm not sure if it was a result of prep or just tough chickens. I'm better off not to eat the skin anyway. ;)

My favorite way to make chicken breasts is grilled chicken Caesar salad. I make some Caesar dressing and use some of it to marinate the skinless breasts. If the breasts are particularly big I split them lengthwise or cut them into slices. I don't want then thicker than about 3/4" (2cm.) Then I split the romaine hearts lengthwise, brush some dressing on them (cut side) and grill them on a hot cast iron grill direct. Then I grill the chicken. You have to watch it really carefully. I think it goes from done to hard and dry in about 30 seconds. I monitor temperature with a Thermapen.

Practice. You will get better. If it doesn't come out good enough, make chili.

I think the lump burns hotter. I'll be using the KBB. Going to Lowes tomorrow so will pick up a couple of fire bricks. Thanks! :thumb:

Happy Hapgood
05-18-2018, 09:24 PM
I always brine for a few hours first. The for chick breasts on high heat 7 min per side. Thighs or drums i brine then boil in the brine for 10-15 min then high heat to finish.

I do like the brine idea. Thanks! :thumb: Would like to do them start to finish on the kettle to learn it.

WareZdaBeef
05-18-2018, 09:43 PM
I do like the brine idea. Thanks! :thumb: Would like to do them start to finish on the kettle to learn it.

If you have time, 50g of salt 1000g of water, thats your basic quick 2-4 hour brine. Obviously if you are cooking alot of pieces, you want to double the ratio's. Thats generally forroughly 2lbs of chick.

My time on the chick breats is for monster body building roided chick breasts. If your chick breasts are like free range small, you might want to dial it down to 5 min per side.

food4thot
05-18-2018, 10:13 PM
Have an old school cast iron griddle (flat on one side and ribbed on the other) with the wire rack for my Performer. Indirect with lump on both sides of the griddle, ribbed side up. Get the griddle good and hot.

Put the leg quarters on the outside of the griddle, closest to the lump, skin side down. Breasts in the middle of the griddle, skin side down. Cover maybe 6-8 minutes...use your best judgement. Flip once and cover again for another 12-14 minutes.

I like the griddle because it holds heat. Try it without the griddle. Adjust the times and move the chicken around as you see fit.

Happy Hapgood
05-18-2018, 10:17 PM
If you have time, 50g of salt 1000g of water, thats your basic quick 2-4 hour brine. Obviously if you are cooking alot of pieces, you want to double the ratio's. Thats generally forroughly 2lbs of chick.

My time on the chick breats is for monster body building roided chick breasts. If your chick breasts are like free range small, you might want to dial it down to 5 min per side.

Yeah, it's a darn shame what they do to chicks these day but it feeds the population at the cost of flavor. Years ago when I was out in the Field working HVAC at the chick plants, I would talk with the folks there. They inject a growth hormones into them as chicks that makes them get so big that if they are not harvested by 7 month old, their ankles will break under the weight. The taste suffers too. Give me a regular chick anytime. :tsk:

KevinJ
05-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Mike do you have a Vortex?

dadsr4
05-18-2018, 10:35 PM
Here's my setup for just about anything cooked indirect.
https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1074&pictureid=11204
Chicken is a quick cook, though, you can just heap the coals up against the side without bricks. For bone-in chicken, I pour a lit heaped chimney full. Vents fully open. Put the lid on and let things get hot. Cook indirect, lid on, the larger pieces closest to the bricks or coals, smaller further away. Check in around 45 minutes. Pull breasts at 160 deg, dark meat 180.

For boneless, grilling over spread out coals works best, since boneless dries out easily and has to be watched anyways. Leave part of the charcoal grate clear of coals for pieces that get done sooner.
I pull the skin back and put the rub on the meat, then pull the skin back over. The skin ends up bite-through, and many people pull it off anymore, so they still get the rub rather than waste it.

If this is to be a regular thing, make or buy a vortex. It makes things easier.

Demosthenes9
05-19-2018, 12:22 AM
I marinate my chicken in Italian dressing or something with oil. Grill gets set up for 2 zone. Chicken goes down on direct side to get some color and crisp. Lid goes on. After. A couple of minutes, lift lid, flip chicken. Replace lid. After a couple of more minutes, really depending on color, I move the chx to indirect lower the lid and just let it cook til it's done. Can't tell you how long exactly as it's highly variable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pocchampion
05-19-2018, 07:50 AM
I like to cook chicken between 400 and 450, indirect. Vortex works great for pieces and banked off to the sides for spatchcock

Nuco59
05-19-2018, 08:53 AM
I don't do breasts on the grill too much- rather do leg quarters or thighs.

But when I do- I will put them in a gallon zippy bag and whop 'em with a skillet (or meat mallet- depending on mood) until they are consistently thick (or thin as the case may be).

Little salt, pepper and lite Italian dressing into the same bag. Massage them a bit and rest them in the fridge until show time.

farmer-fred
05-19-2018, 09:04 AM
I always was a fan of chicken cooked on the rotisserie until I bought the Vortex ring for my kettle. Did a bunch of large breast's last week and they were the most moist I have ever done on a grill. They came skinless and all I did was season them with SPOG and some Slap Ya Mama. About 3/4 full of Royal Oak lump and a couple of small pieces of hickory, vent's wide open. When they were done I closed the bottom vent 1/2 added a bit of wool chips and smoked some brats and dogs while we ate supper. Get a Vortex and you will not regret it.

MisterChrister
05-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Dry brine only, same results for juicy meat, but skin gets much more crispy, much faster. Indirect at 350-400 degrees with leg quarters closer to the fire for most of the cook. Rotate some, according to the obvious color differences on the skin; trust your eyes. Take the breasts off at 155-160 IT, quarters at 190-200. The quarters will render and crisp better at the higher IT without suffering any dryness. Trust me. My chicken is money. Every time. :)

Cook
05-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Yeah, it's a darn shame what they do to chicks these day but it feeds the population at the cost of flavor. Years ago when I was out in the Field working HVAC at the chick plants, I would talk with the folks there. They inject a growth hormones into them as chicks that makes them get so big that if they are not harvested by 7 month old, their ankles will break under the weight. The taste suffers too. Give me a regular chick anytime. :tsk:

That is illegal.

They are actually bred to have large breasts. The injections they get as chicks are immunizations & medications.

Happy Hapgood
05-20-2018, 12:04 AM
That is illegal.

They are actually bred to have large breasts. The injections they get as chicks are immunizations & medications.

It's what the dude said Cook. All I know is they have sure got big since going to the kin folks long chicken houses up Arkansas in the late 60's. Have you ever had fresh barn yard bird?

Happy Hapgood
05-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Mike do you have a Vortex?

Do not Kevin but thinking about one. Have seen the pic here. Thanks!

Happy Hapgood
05-20-2018, 12:12 AM
I marinate my chicken in Italian dressing or something with oil. Grill gets set up for 2 zone. Chicken goes down on direct side to get some color and crisp. Lid goes on. After. A couple of minutes, lift lid, flip chicken. Replace lid. After a couple of more minutes, really depending on color, I move the chx to indirect lower the lid and just let it cook til it's done. Can't tell you how long exactly as it's highly variable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Have not thought of that. Used to do it with steak. :thumb:

Robert
05-20-2018, 05:31 AM
Do not Kevin but thinking about one. Have seen the pic here. Thanks!
Mike,

Get the vortex. You won't regret it. It is a great tool.

Tell LuZZiAnn hello for me.

Robert