PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Thermometer difference- help

MilitantSquatter
04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I plan to do some testing of chamber temps at different grate levels/zones in the Spicewine... I was planning to use three types of thermometers (I have 3 NuTemp Wireless' along with 2 Taylor Candy Style Thermometers /clip that I use in the air vents of my WSM's and then today I picked up 4 Taylor standard Oven thermometers at Restaurant Depot..

Here's my question - The Taylor Candy thermometers at RD (that I already own) said on the back of box, "Do NOT use in oven".. Just curious why this warning would be listed ?? The readings go up to 400 degrees.. I've had the full stem in the WSM vent go up to 325 degrees.. Think the material in the head of the thermometer cannot withstand direct heat as opposed to indirect heat like in WSM vent or on the side of a pot ?

The other Taylor's were labeled as Oven Thermometers, go to 600 degrees and were less than half the price (about $4 each vs. $9).

Think this oven warning on the packaging of the first model is a bunch of BS ??

Classic Candy-Deep Fry Thermometer
http://www.taylorusa.com/consumer/images/dotspace.gif
Large, easy-to-read 2 3/4" dial. Range 100°F to 400°F. Durable 6" stainless steel stem. Adjustable pan clip. Dishwasher safe. NSF approved.

Classic Oven Thermometer
http://www.taylorusa.com/consumer/images/dotspace.gif
Extra large, colorful 3 1/4" dial. Range 100°F to 600°F. Durable stainless steel. Hangs or stands. NSF approved.

Kirk
04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
The dial or the face of the candy thermometer might not be designed for real high temps. That's the only reason I can think of for the warning. No problem though..., just drill holes in the Spicewine wherever you want to take readings. :-D

BBQ_MAFIA
04-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't help you out with your questions but I'm very interested in the results of your test.

Let us know how things turn out.

swamprb
04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I think it may have a plastic dial cover. I had a Tel-Tru instant read that the plastic melted when my wife left it in a turkey in the oven and shut the door.

I just looked at my King Kooker turkey fryer thermometer and it says:
NSF Dishwasher Safe Not For Oven Use 750*

Brian

JohnMcD348
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
The lens might start to melt on the candy therm. I've had it happen before on other types of probe thermometers.