PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Lambert's Red Box smoker.

WilliamKY
05-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Any brethren have experience with this little smoker? I'm compelled by it's size and looks. It appears quality made too. I often do small cooks through the week and don't want to roll out the UDS. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

effinUker
05-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Here's a review one bretheren did a little while back

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220933

and here is a thread of mods:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224628

WilliamKY
05-05-2018, 10:45 AM
I've read the firebox has since been upgraded to allow ashes to fall through and extend smoking time. This seemed to be a common complaint. Thank you for the link.

pjtexas1
05-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Glad to hear they fixed the charcoal basket. That is the one thing that had to go. No issues with mine except loading too much charcoal once and burning up the paint above the FB door but that was my fault. Nice little cooker and it will hold more than you would think. Mark is really good to work with.

https://www.ssomd.com/red-box-smoker-charcoal-tray-insert

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BBQ_Bama
05-05-2018, 12:12 PM
That thing sure does look just like the old Backwoods Smoker "Patio" model. Except for latches it looks exactly like it.

pjtexas1
05-05-2018, 12:20 PM
That thing sure does look just like the old Backwoods Smoker "Patio" model. Except for latches it looks exactly like it.Didn't Mark get permission to "re-make" the patio? I liked it because of the SS interior.

BBQ_Bama
05-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Didn't Mark get permission to "re-make" the patio? I liked it because of the SS interior.

Oh, I have no clue. I know Mike McGowan of Backwoods discontinued their Patio unit years ago. I still have mine though and it still works great.

SmokerKing
05-05-2018, 01:43 PM
I have dedicated mine to smoking fish

Nuco59
05-05-2018, 04:50 PM
I would not mind having one show up on my doorstep- it is a cool *little* smoker.

That said, I'm not sure what this one would give you that a UDS would not.

If you really want it - that is ALL that matters.

let us know how you like it.

WilliamKY
05-05-2018, 07:47 PM
I would not mind having one show up on my doorstep- it is a cool *little* smoker.

That said, I'm not sure what this one would give you that a UDS would not.

If you really want it - that is ALL that matters.

let us know how you like it.

Yeah I'm really leaning towards one. I have a UDS that I love but on days where I just want a few chops, sausage links or tenderloin the UDS is overkill.

Nuco59
05-06-2018, 06:02 AM
I would do it but I'm (again) bitten by the "yeah- but for just a few dollars more..." bug.

RBS is 5 bills delivered- less if you shop around.

But for a "few dollars more" (ok- you got me- $300.00 more), I could have a Backwoods 3400- which is significantly bigger but still not HUGE. I am NOT a member of the "bigger is better"/ "go big or go home" club. I think the 3400 would be a better size for bigger cuts and still small enough to be fired up for the small cooks.

I can't say that I see your point about the UDS being over kill for small cooks. There is actually more grate space on the RBS than on a single grate in the standard UDS- it's just broken up into 3 small grates. The RBS is about 70 #... my SS UDS is about that heavy but is on wheels. The RBS size screams for a cart (or table) to get it up to working height. RBS has a water pan (both a pro and a con) and is limited to about 300*.

This is just me rambling. Get that thing and let us know how you like it!