PDA

View Full Version : Well... an unexpected purchase and a trip back from the local beef/pig farm

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
well here ya guys go! Got another meat post for ya guys! I have been in the talks with the same folks that provided a 1/2 cow.. Asked for a friend on a "box" deal cuz they couldn't afford a 1/2 or whole cow.. Well they didn't take the deal and I wanted to stay in good standings with the farm so I said that I would take it..

It consisted of
10 ny strip
4 porterhouse
4 tbones
3 roasts
And a bunch of cube steak..

Also found a couple stray ribeye's they threw in for me! I placed my order two weeks ago. This is where things get a bit crazy... My grand mother told me that she would love some fresh bacon and pork sausage.

Well...... I placed another phone call asked for a cheap $100+ box of pork from the pigs they just got butchered. Their reply was:

Can do 10 lbs pork chops
10 lbs sausage

10 lbs bacon

1 pork roast 3 lbs

10 pounds pork steaks

Instantly I said "Sold".. So today was the day.. I went and picked up the pig and cow.. I was pretty sure if I finally made my bone broth I would have room in my main fridge freezer and my chest freezer...

https://i.imgur.com/YMAqSODl.jpg

Well....................... On the left I have a new member of the family!
https://i.imgur.com/V1WOO9xl.jpg

Here's today's haul in the boxes.. I didn't take pictures of the beef individually as you guys have seen the beef from this farm before. I can link the thread if u want to see it.

Here's the pork steaks and bacon. I'm assume its just fresh pork belly? I know it hasn't been smoked.. but not sure about being cured.
https://i.imgur.com/FMhrAryl.jpg

here's the chops and a couple packs of sausage for the picture.
https://i.imgur.com/ijJDduPl.jpg

Here's the inside of the new freezer.. I put all the expensive steak cuts, pork in it.. The old freezer is now home to the bones, roasts, and hamburger.

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Also so u know what I'm working with.. Here's the picture of the old freezer after every thing has been sorted..d I finally have my main house freezer back for other stuff!

https://i.imgur.com/KhWvYHpl.jpg

SWMN
05-01-2018, 03:37 PM
That looks like an awesome haul!

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 05:45 PM
HAHA! I also forgot to add.. When I met with the owner of the farm, He commented "Man I really like the pictures of your food cooks"... and I've sent them a few pictures for advertising purposes. He said "Did you like the beef short ribs?" I said "oh yeah.. I cook them low and slow on the smoker and they turn out fantastic" He then replied with "well wait there I have a gift for ya".

One of those 5 boxes.. is a box full of beef short ribs, so I've scored good today! These guys are very nice people.. I will not buy pork/beef from another place as long as I can purchase it from them! I want to support their business as a local farm

mtime7
05-01-2018, 06:09 PM
what kind of pigs are they raising? The bacon looks cured to me

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 06:31 PM
what kind of pigs are they raising? The bacon looks cured to me

no clue man. All I know is its all fresh.. bacon even is not cured. That's fine by me.. I love fresh uncured/unsmoked pork belly :) Everything is hormone free and free from all the extra stuff.

Happy Hapgood
05-01-2018, 06:33 PM
What a great source and score! They should look into shipping.

kdub5
05-01-2018, 06:41 PM
What part of WV are you in? I need a source like that

mtime7
05-01-2018, 06:41 PM
no clue man. All I know is its all fresh.. bacon even is not cured. That's fine by me.. I love fresh uncured/unsmoked pork belly :) Everything is hormone free and free from all the extra stuff.

Have you seen the pigs, are they pastured?

unzippy
05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Get some kind of alarm for your freezers..

Stingerhook
05-01-2018, 07:10 PM
I have room if you need it. Nice haul.

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Have you seen the pigs, are they pastured?

You know man, I just didn't go through getting all the details on the pigs. I went through all that stuff with the beef previously so I'm just assuming at this point that the pigs are well taken care of too. So yeah I couldn't tell ya.. All I know was that the pigs are all natural just like the cows were and they know what they are doing with the cows.. so I guess I'm being a bit forgiving here. lol

blazinfire
05-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Get some kind of alarm for your freezers..

Alarm for my freezers? What type of alarm? Door alarms? Alarms for power?
I've been eating to much out of the freezer from the 1/2 cow that I would know if the freezers stopped working for a short amount of time.

As far as door alarms.. I thought about this.. But where the freezers were I would never hear it until it was to late.. unless the alarm would sound every time I would open the door which would be annoying...

mchar69
05-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Alarm for my freezers? What type of alarm? Door alarms? Alarms for power? alarm for me coming to steal some of your stash!!

Hah ha Blazin', just kidding....

mtime7
05-02-2018, 12:38 AM
You know man, I just didn't go through getting all the details on the pigs. I went through all that stuff with the beef previously so I'm just assuming at this point that the pigs are well taken care of too. So yeah I couldn't tell ya.. All I know was that the pigs are all natural just like the cows were and they know what they are doing with the cows.. so I guess I'm being a bit forgiving here. lol

I am just wondering if you are getting an even better deal on heritage pig.

Fatback Joe
05-02-2018, 07:30 AM
It pays to know the local guys. Nice haul.

daninnewjersey
05-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Hell of a score....

crpngdth2001
05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Where are they at in WV? I pass through WV all the time going back to Athens, Ohio area to visit my parents (I'm in MD). I wouldn't mind doing some business with them too!

blazinfire
05-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Well I've been asked this question a couple times and I forgot to add the details..

The new freezer I got was a 5 cu ft Frigidaire chest freezer. It came from a locally owned hardware store. I paid $200+ tax.. as it was my only option at the time locally.

I have found the same freezer online the cheapest place is target $149+shipping.. I think the total was $180+. So between ordering online or giving a local hardware store some business I didn't have a problem paying a few extra bucks to the local store.

I also want to add.. If your planning on buying a 1/2 cow.. and are looking for a freezer.. At least buy a 7+ cu ft freezer.. My original freezer is a 7 or 7.5 cu ft and I barely had enough room in that and my home fridge/freezer