PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Kamado cooker ordered

Swede
04-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Camping season is coming, and I've been eyeing up an Akorn Jr for a few years now. It's small enough to bring along in the camper and should allow for a kamado cooking experience on the road!

I'm pretty excited, I've been cooking on my Vision for years now and love how it performs.

I wish I could get the closeout deals you fellows in the US do, but I have to be happy with Amazon's "deal" that's on now. The Akorn's are not that easy to come by in Canada...

This will join my Weber 18.5" in the camper for away-from-home summer cooks, and just might end up being a deck ready searing machine when we're not camping with the kids.

Should be here in a week, and I'll get it seasoned up and ready to cook on our shakedown trip that we always do on May long weekend!

KORND4WG X
04-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Nice! I have a Kamado joe Jr and use it a lot, more than I would :thumb:

Swede
04-30-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm not wanting to spend the extra money for the "smoking stone" heat plate you can get for these, has anyone successfully used a piece of ceramic tile cut to fit or a pizza stone in these Jr sized cookers?

tenpenny_05
04-30-2018, 08:56 AM
I've had pretty poor luck with finding alternative ceramic heat deflectors that last. Pretty much everything breaks after a few cooks.

Swede
05-05-2018, 04:09 PM
It's here, joining its big brother.

I got it seasoned up and baked a batch of cornbread in it last night. Seems to be a very typical kamado experience, but it's much more responsive to airflow adjustments than the big ceramic.

Evil-g
05-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Nice Mini