PDA

View Full Version : Costco Prime Packers - They DO Exist!!!

PBrug
04-26-2018, 09:38 PM
For the longest time, I've heard about Costco Prime Packers in other area's, but here in Western PA it was only a fantasy. Yes, on the rare occasion you could find a Prime Packer at Sam's but it was a long shot. With a Costco only a few minutes from my home, I had hopes that one day I'd be lucky enough to be able to buy a Prime Packer, at a good price, without traveling long distances...

Today, I ran to the local Costco to pick up some wings for the Pens game, and a few other things, and took a walk through the meat department. As I approached the cooler, I had to rub my eyes to be sure I was not seeing things. There they were, two Prime Packers sitting in the cooler for the 1st time in the nearly ten years I've been shopping this store. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. While the price was not as good as some areas, $3.49/lb, I was not about to complain. I took what I thought was the better of the two, and left the other for another person to enjoy.

So, if there are any Western PA Brethren reading this, the Cranberry Twp Costco has had Prime Packers in their cooler. IMO if they sell on a regular basis, they'll keep getting them. So let's keep buying them...

They do exist!!!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31351301_10213347799224266_6426987416761925632_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=380b4a8529d8008b17002011ca38fc7d&oe=5B9D3156

Baychilla
04-26-2018, 09:46 PM
My CostCo used to not carry them, now they do (sort of seems like 1/12 is prime) but IIRC they weren't as cheap as the one my brother uses.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7QC6pb5/0/496d9600/XL/i-7QC6pb5-XL.jpg

93_confirmed
04-26-2018, 10:12 PM
I've never seen a packer in New Jersey outside of Restaurant Depot. I was in Costco the other day and I asked the butcher a bunch of questions regarding packers and he didn't tell me anything useful in terms of why they don't carry them. It's very strange.

WareZdaBeef
04-26-2018, 10:20 PM
I don't really like Brisket, but i think if i found a prime packer for that price i would buy it just to see if it even comes close to a choice grade plate of short ribs. I doubt it.

enorris116
04-26-2018, 11:19 PM
I picked one up today too. It was about 11.5 lbs and it trimmed down to about 7.5. There was a TON of fat.

jpeisen
04-27-2018, 12:31 AM
Homestead is my closest store, so I'll try to check them out this weekend. I'm new to the area and my Costco membership is for buying barbecue supplies. It's also up for renewal in May, so this is an important fact-finding mission.

-J

-Chris-
04-27-2018, 06:33 AM
My local Whole Foods here in Massachusetts said they cannot order prime briskets, they just come in some times. Obviously it is different in areas of the country where brisket is more popular. I figured with our concentration of Irish and Jews, they would sell a lot.

Chris

sudsandswine
04-27-2018, 08:02 AM
I picked one up today too. It was about 11.5 lbs and it trimmed down to about 7.5. There was a TON of fat.

Yep, that's pretty typical of the prime packers at Costco. I probably trim more than most, but even on a lighter trim, I'll still lose about 20-25% right off the bat just removing most of the hard fat, a 1/4" trim on the flat, and removing some of the hard fat between the flat and point.

As far as $3.49/lb is concerned, that's what they're priced at near me and we have prime packers all year long. The brisket (and beef generally) prices fluctuate, but they're typically in the $2.79ish at the low and $3.49 at the high, though they do occasionally go lower or higher for a short time. If prime briskets are hard to come by in your area, I don't thin you did too bad at $3.49/lb.

daninnewjersey
04-27-2018, 08:13 AM
I've never seen a packer in New Jersey outside of Restaurant Depot.

Try Wally World....they have them down here....

wmarkw
04-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Yeah my Costco in Augusta, GA finally started carrying them about 6 weeks back. FINALLY! just hope they stay around......

DanB
04-27-2018, 09:09 AM
I've never seen a packer in New Jersey outside of Restaurant Depot. I was in Costco the other day and I asked the butcher a bunch of questions regarding packers and he didn't tell me anything useful in terms of why they don't carry them. It's very strange.

Hi Costco's in Hackensack has started to carry prime briskets/$3.49
Was there a couple weeks back, they only had 2, was supposed to get more in.
Haven't checked back as now.
DanB

The product # for Costco's prime brisket is 22578.

shpsu
04-27-2018, 10:04 AM
and are sometimes Select. I did find a Prime packer at Sam's but that was very unusual. Our store normally has only Choice flats.

Evil-g
04-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks for letting us know. I’m going to head to Cranberry this Sunday and see what all the fuss is about. I’m finally getting my brisket game on point and hope I can tell the difference. I’ve asked a million times at the Costco in Homestead they said they couldn’t get them.

LordRiffenstein
04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Damn, I can only hope to ever see these kinda prices. Brisket is not a regular cut in Europe so the briskets we can get are imported. Last brisket I bought was USA Angus Choice and was 15euro/kg. Oh, we only get Choice or can get Wagyu (almost 20euro/kg).

It´s not stopping me from buying them, have 2 in the freezer :shock:

Steve68
04-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. The Costco in Teterboro only seems to have flats. I'll try Hackensack next time.

BigKing
04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
I don't really like Brisket, but i think if i found a prime packer for that price i would buy it just to see if it even comes close to a choice grade plate of short ribs. I doubt it.

Costco out here sells two-packs of prime short rib racks, four bones to a rack.

I'm fortunate that the Costco in Huntington Beach that I use always has packers and generally has full short-rib racks.

Sjhill
04-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Myrtle Beach, SC just started selling them this month for the first time. I just about cried when I saw them.

DanB
04-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the tip. The Costco in Teterboro only seems to have flats. I'll try Hackensack next time.

Hi let us know how you make out in Hackensack.
Thanks DanB

Rockinar
04-27-2018, 07:57 PM
I don't really like Brisket.

Admins.....can we just ban him already? :-D

mcdeadstein
04-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Thank you for this tip, I was able to grab one. They only had one out at a time which was odd. I told the guy they should just put the whole case out there and he just kinda shrugged. So basically, they have them but if someone buys one its gonna look like they aren't carrying them until they restock it with 1 brisket.

I suppose only having one brisket in the case forces people to buy whatever is there IDK.

jpeisen
04-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Checked the store in Homestead today and only saw choice flats. SAD

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Geronimo
04-28-2018, 02:17 PM
I heard about them here, joined last Friday because I stopped at one with a whole cooler of them, weird the flats cost more a lb.

youngbloodbbqenthusiast
04-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Yeah my Costco in Augusta, GA finally started carrying them about 6 weeks back. FINALLY! just hope they stay around......

...I may have to get a membership. But I live in South Augusta and that is a drive to get to Costco. I would go pass the Sams to get there.

PBrug
05-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Just wanted to update anyone in the area. Stopped by the Cranberry Twp. location today and there were 3 Prime Packers in the cooler. Looks like they may be here to stay, at least for the Summer. I was gonna chat with the meat department, but was in a hurry...

Evil-g
05-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Went to Costco in Homestead and asked about prime packers, was told mgr. would call me if I left my number. He called to say he could not get them. He said they were not available in his order book. Said something about the warehouses. Me with 34 yrs of grocery experiences 20 in management asked don’t they pull from the same warehouse and was told yes. I mentioned Cranberry has them and I don’t know why he can’t get them. I’m going to call and speak with the Store Director or Manager at some point.

He told me I would need to order a case (hmmm I thought he couldn’t get them) I get it, he doesn’t want to kill his sales on flats which are really high priced.

I guess he just doesn’t want the sale.

selfservebrewer
05-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Awesome! Has anyone seen these in San Diego? I have yet to tackle a brisket