PDA

View Full Version : Wireless thermometers with the best range?

smokinbadger
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Ever since I got my Klose, I've been cooking in the driveway. (At 1800 pounds, it is not going on my deck, especially not up three steps!)

The downside I'm experiencing is that neither my Williams Sonoma nor my Maverick remote thermometer can reliably transmit from the driveway to my kitchen (the garage and therefore a few walls are in the way, even though the distance is probably only 50 feet.) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with remotes which work reliably over longer distances and through walls.

If I can't find anything commercially available, my next idea would be to outfit an old laptop with a thermocouple reader card and wireless networking and log into that to check. Cool as this might be (the more I think about it I'll probably do it anyway) I would like to know if there is a good off the shelf solution. Thanks in advance.

Jaberwabee
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
With new batteries in my Oregon Scientific, it gets much better range than the one I bought at Williams Sonoma, and it was half the price.

Slamdunkpro
04-08-2007, 12:58 PM
My Guru Procomm4 is good for about 600 feet or 5 walls (your mileage may vary). But it's a pricey solution.

thillin
04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure of the range of NuTemps.

RichardF
04-09-2007, 01:20 PM
my wireless units have poor range, but my baby monitor does the job. I just listen for the alarm settings. My son is finally old enough that I don't get dirty looks from my wife when I take it out of his room at night...