PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger

yoursangoma
04-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Got the wife to not say no and put a 50% deposit down on a Humphrey's pint. Added a side table and 8" casters. 6-8 week lead time. Have a feeling this might be the longest 6-8 weeks of my life.

To help me pass the time, I am looking for advice on the best way to fire up this cooker once I get it. I currently have a UDS and just fire up a chimney of charcoal. What is the best way to start up the charcoal for the pint?

Also, I have the snake maze, but I am not sure how often to put chunks in with the charcoal. Any suggestions?

Feel free to give me any other suggestions you may have that will help me to pass the time until I get this thing delivered. I have to say I am really excited!

pharp
04-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Got the wife to not say no and put a 50% deposit down on a Humphrey's pint. Added a side table and 8" casters. 6-8 week lead time. Have a feeling this might be the longest 6-8 weeks of my life.

To help me pass the time, I am looking for advice on the best way to fire up this cooker once I get it. I currently have a UDS and just fire up a chimney of charcoal. What is the best way to start up the charcoal for the pint?

Also, I have the snake maze, but I am not sure how often to put chunks in with the charcoal. Any suggestions?

Feel free to give me any other suggestions you may have that will help me to pass the time until I get this thing delivered. I have to say I am really excited!

Congrats man. You made an excellent choice. I am literally in the exact same boat, I placed my order yesterday..me and you can commiserate together!

OklaDustDevil
04-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Fantastic! The day you purchase a new smoker is always a great day!!

mcyork28
04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BillATL
04-16-2018, 01:55 PM
I can't say this is the best way to fire up the cooker but I'll tell you what I do on my qubed pint. I decide how many grates I'm using and where they're going and put them in. If I'm not cooking in pans I'll put a drip pan in the bottom (I generally cook without water.) I set up my flameboss and fan but without turning it on or putting the thermoprobe into the cooker. Open the exhaust about a finger's width.

I have the t-maze inserts and load the firebox with lump except for the corner that's closest to me on my right hand side. I try to get the lump packed as tight as I can and add whatever smoke wood I'm using - probably five or six fist sized chunks in the first leg and a half of the maze. At the same time I fire up a small chimney of lump and let it get glowing. Once the chimney is roaring I pour it into the empty corner and tighten up the burning coals against the unlit lump with a charcoal rake. Slide the firebox in, shut the door and open my daisy wheels wide open.

Now I open the cook chamber and preheat it with a weed burner for a couple minutes. Then clip the chamber thermoprobe onto a grate and close the door. Now I'll set up my flameboss, turn it on and close down the daisy wheels. Depending on the ambient temperature that gets me up to about 250 degrees within an hour or so.

I have just packed the firebox with lump and lit a corner with the weed burner. That works and gets things going in a hurry but I keep my cooker on my back porch (flagstone not wood decking :-) ) and don't really like blasting my floor with heat like that - especially if I'm not wearing boots :-)

JoshuaJEarle
04-18-2018, 02:52 AM
Congrats! I Have one of the original pints and cant say enough good things about it! I personally like using the chimney starter method, I put a good layer of charcoal into the fire box (I prefer lump) then I fill the chimney, toss a tumble weed fire starter into the bottom of it and set it onto the charcoal already in the firebox until it’s ready to dump.. Takes a little longer than torching the direct charcoal but smoking bbq isn’t a speed sport!

ebijack
04-18-2018, 03:29 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3697084&posted=1#post3697084

yoursangoma
04-18-2018, 01:02 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3697084&posted=1#post3697084

Very helpful information. This makes the wait even harder.

sniperfx
04-18-2018, 01:21 PM
You will be very pleased!!!!

jermoQ
04-18-2018, 06:47 PM
That is awesome! Congrats!

pharp
04-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Do you like to cook low and slow or hot and fast?

yoursangoma
04-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Do you like to cook low and slow or hot and fast?

Both?

pharp
04-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Both?

Awesome. It does both well!

yoursangoma
04-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Awesome. It does both well!

I don't think there are many things in my life that I have been this excited about. How many weeks are in a day, anyway? It's been three days now so I'm guessing the smoker is on its way here.