PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey's Pint

yoursangoma
04-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Wanting to get one of these. I don't think I want the drop in water pan, but the slide out water pan since I am not sure how often I would even use a water pan. Tell me why I should want one over the other. I have never used a water pan in my UDS, so maybe I don't understand the benefit.

Right on Q
04-11-2018, 12:21 PM
We never used the water pan when we had a Pint.

Pros of water in pan
Keeps temps from fluctuating
more moisture in chamber

Cons of water in pan
hard to cook at higher temps
Water is very nasty to clean afterwards

Pros of no water in pan
can cook at higher temps
easy cleanup (Foil the pan)

Cons of no water in pan
temps can fluctuate more
drier cooking environment (not a big deal in my book)

angryelfFan
04-11-2018, 12:28 PM
I have a Battle Box with a slide out. Sometimes I put water in it and sometimes I don't. Right On Q lays it out nicely. I lay foil over it when not using water and put an aluminum pan in it when using water. Makes cleanup a bit easier.

One other point to consider is that you lose the space and rack. On a BB it makes a difference. Probably not so much on a Pint in total space since it is bigger.

mcyork28
04-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Is there a difference in the heat deflector between the two configurations?

luv2smoke
04-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Although not a Humprey's my IVC holds rock solid temps with no water. I find there's plenty of moisture as my glasses will fog with steam produced from the meat when I open the cook chamber door.

HOBONICHOLBBQ
04-11-2018, 03:09 PM
I've got a down east beast with the slide out. A full size foil hotel pan fits in there. Whether I use water or not it makes clean up a breeze. Just either dump out the rest of the water and throw it in the trash, or just throw it in the trash if no water. Once you use the thing enough you can get it to where you know how much water to put in it so there is little to dump.

Forgot to add that having the slide out makes getting the pan out a whole lot easier especially if it has a decent amount of water in it.

pharp
04-11-2018, 04:50 PM
I basically got the humphrey's because I thought I could run it just like a drum with more space. I light it the same way, run at the same temps, and don't use water. I got the drop in because it allows for more space in the cook chamber and the firebricks I have in there fit perfectly.

sniperfx
04-11-2018, 05:02 PM
drop in. playground sand to act as heat sink! done! this is how we cook at comps.

Westx
04-11-2018, 07:07 PM
If I had to do it again I would get the slide out and the pizza stone to set on the bottom of the cook chamber. I do cook with water at times when doing overnight cooks low and slow but could use an aluminum pan setting on the stone.

SeanBBQ
04-12-2018, 02:10 PM
I have a Pint with the drop in pan. Went this route to keep the extra rack space...i mean, thats why you buy a pint and not a battlebox. I have firebrick in the pan covered with HD foil. Done.

I have cooked with water for first year or two with the Pint, then I learned I didnt want to clean that junk all the time...so firebrick and foil. Never looked back. I actually think it cooks a lot better and more even temps with the firebrick.

JoshuaJEarle
04-12-2018, 04:49 PM
I actually own and use one of the original Pints produced with a drop in water pan. Personally I always use it, I feel as though it helps regulate the temp better. But I also have a qube’d pint with the slide out. You can always get the drop in then convert to slide out down the road.