PDA

View Full Version : Ribeye fajitas on my Weber kettle

sudsandswine
04-08-2018, 09:40 PM
As the price of flank and skirt steak has reached or exceeded $6/lb here, it's close enough to some other steak cuts that I'm willing to pay a couple bucks more a pound to try something else. Today I tried using some angus ribeyes from Sam's Club.

I whipped up a fajita marinade and soaked both steaks (first time I've ever marinaded a ribeye) as well as the veggies in gallon bags for about 8 hours. While the food was marinating, I went and brewed some beer. Oh yeah....and it snowed today, all day long. Between the brewing and the grilling I "enjoyed" the beautiful spring weather for about 5 hours today. :crazy:

When I got home I fired up the Weber kettle with a chimney of lump charcoal, brought the grill up to about 500*, and placed the ribeyes on the grill indirect for 5 or 6 minutes. Then I gave them about 2 minutes direct per side and pulled them off. It's been a long time since I grilled steaks on my kettle and I got them just a tad more done than I'd want them as whole steaks...however I think a medium doneness works well for fajitas.

Once the steaks were off I put on the marinaded veggies and some onions we picked up from the Mexican market. Some flour tortillas, sour cream, and colby jack cheese later, we had some pretty tasty fajitas for dinner. I think I'd use ribeye for fajitas again, though I think a nice thick tomahawk ribeye might fit the bill better next time. :thumb:

I wish I could've had a nice cold beer included in my plated pic, but I'm low carbing to try and drop a few pounds. In fact that's my wife's plate, I skipped the tortillas but had everything else.

4TheLoveofBrisket
04-08-2018, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry. This isn't good enough. You're missing something key here. A bottle of Tequila. :mrgreen: Mighty fine job! The grilled green onions are an awesome touch. I can only imagine how good those tacos were with that chile and guac!

Kanco Connection
04-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Solid work, S&S! Way to power through the weather

sudsandswine
04-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Believe it or not, that's actually a salsa my mother in law made, though it does indeed have avocados in it :thumb:

And you're right about the tequila, definitely missed the boat on that one.

Solid work, S&S! Way to power through the weather

From the time I started the grill to the time I pulled the veggies off, we probably accumulated another inch or two. Not gonna let some confused Missouri weather tell me when I can brew and grill. :-P

Kanco Connection
04-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Remember, there’s a weather handicap for judging throwdowns.....just sayin’

4TheLoveofBrisket
04-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Believe it or not, that's actually a salsa my mother in law made, though it does indeed have avocados in it :thumb:

And you're right about the tequila, definitely missed the boat on that one.

From the time I started the grill to the time I pulled the veggies off, we probably accumulated another inch or two. Not gonna let some confused Missouri weather tell me when I can brew and grill. :-P

Salsa Verde with Avocado? It looks delicious either way.

ssv3
04-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Killer! I hear you ridiculous prices for some cuts of beef when for a couple buck more you can get ribeye.

BillN
04-08-2018, 10:42 PM
I would be a happy boy with a plate like that.

Titch
04-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Looks real tasty mate

TravelingJ
04-08-2018, 11:24 PM
I'll have to give that a shot. We've also been doing the keto thing in this house. I cook up a mess of food for her each week before I head out of town. Fajitas have been a weekly staple, and this week I decided to smoke a chuck roast instead of a flank (because, like you said-those things are insanely pricey) she liked it...but still preferred the flank.

I don't know if you have tried any of the low carb tortillas. For meals like this we just eat one that's loaded up, and then after that just filling. Makes it feel less like a diet.

guero_gordo
04-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Damn fine looking cebollitas

sudsandswine
04-09-2018, 05:50 AM

I don't know if you have tried any of the low carb tortillas. For meals like this we just eat one that's loaded up, and then after that just filling. Makes it feel less like a diet.

I have eaten those before, though I've never used keto strips to verify it doesn't pull me out of ketosis so I just passed on them this time. I'll have to try that out sometime and take some "measurements".

Stingerhook
04-09-2018, 06:22 AM
Oh yeah man!