PDA

View Full Version : Bone in butt

Av8er
03-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Well I went to Costco to get a couple butts to smoke but all they had was bone out twin packs which was about $32. I ended up buying 6 slabs of baby back ribs, 2 pork tenderloins, 6 lbs of party chicken wings and drums and the most important thing...... BEER!!! since I didn’t get the butts I stopped by Rouses to get one. One 11lb butt was $32!! That’s high to me. I am hoping to catch them on sale soon. If I find them I will stock up for sure.

IamMadMan
03-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Someone posted in another thread that Kroger's had them on sale for $1.77 a pound.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258352

Up in the Northern States that have Wegman's Stores, they are $1.19 a pound at our Wegman's.

Av8er
03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
I wish I had a Kroger around here. $2.99 a pound just seems really high to me.

sudsandswine
03-24-2018, 04:12 PM
I would've bought the cheaper, bone out ones personally. $3/lb is high for bone in butts. I've cooked a good bit of the boneless ones from Costco and have always been happy with the results. Sounds like you made a good meat score :thumb:

Av8er
03-24-2018, 04:43 PM
I have always heard to get a bone in for smoking. Not sure what the reasoning was but I did indeed read it on the internet so it has to be true.

Stingerhook
03-24-2018, 04:46 PM
I have always heard to get a bone in for smoking. Not sure what the reasoning was but I did indeed read it on the internet so it has to be true.
Built in tester to see if it is done.

SirPorkaLot
03-24-2018, 04:47 PM

There is some debate on this subject.
I’ll just say this;

The old saying back home with pork has always been:
“Closer the bone, sweeter the meat”

I prefer to cook bone-in mainly because it is the best indicator when the meat is done.

YMMV

Nuco59
03-24-2018, 05:21 PM
My dad lives in Mobile. He will hit the Rouses (or the Publix) for butts - but only if they on sale. He's not crazy about the 2 packs since it's just him and the wife- but he does like his mini wsm.

I would not have paid that much either. I'd wait- a sale will come around.

Av8er
03-24-2018, 05:26 PM
My dad lives in Mobile. He will hit the Rouses (or the Publix) for butts - but only if they on sale. He's not crazy about the 2 packs since it's just him and the wife- but he does like his mini wsm.

I would not have paid that much either. I'd wait- a sale will come around.

That’s what I am thinking. I like the two pack because I will vac seal one and smoke one.

mrp116
03-24-2018, 06:36 PM
I would rather not cook a butt if I had to cook boneless. The closest food store to me is a Walmart, the only other store within 15 miles is a Food Lion. The Walmart only has bane-in about half the time. Food Lion always has them, and I sometimes wonder why I even bother stopping and looking at WM.

TyJones
03-24-2018, 08:17 PM
I guess I'm lucky.... I have 3 walmarts, 2 albertsons, 2 freddy's, 1 winco, 1 home depot, 2 lowes, and a sportmans warehouse with in 5 miles of the house. Meat, charcoal, pellets and all the normal Q accessories are pretty close to home. Albertsons carries SRF and RR Ranch meat and freddy's always has bone in butts at a decent price.

Joe Black
03-24-2018, 09:44 PM
I get my butts with the bone in at Restaurant Depot. I love the flavor that the bone imparts to the butt. It's also good for rendering.

ironmanerik
03-24-2018, 11:12 PM
I have cooked a few boneless lately, more surface area for bark.