PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

jts70
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a ten pound bird and was wondering how long should I smoke that mother.What temp should I put the bird in at? An:?: y other suggestioins would be appreciated.I am using a GOSM and I am brining the bird the same way I do when I deep fry, but I'll take advice on that too!!

Thanks!
Jeff

Greendriver
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
A good estimate on time for that size bird would be 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. I always cook mine on a rack sitting in a pan with broth in it. The other thing I do that helps is to mix up some spice with some room temp butter (think you call it compote) then back in the fridge to get it real cold then run my finger between the breast and the skin and stick a bunch of that butter under the skin. I cook mine about 325 but you can cook at lower temps too and it will just take longer.

Puppyboy
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
For me:

I go 30 minutes a pound at 250*. I have only injected my turkeys and not brined one yet so there might need to be an adjustment.

To help keep it moist, I keep it in an aluminum pan and baste with its own juices.

About half way through I foil it up but I am gonna tweek that next time around.

C Rocke
04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
In mine, I go at 220 with a full water pan and about an hour a pound. I put sliced apples in the cavity, and baste with a butter and wine mix every 2 hours, and foil after 8 hours. We do some larger birds the same way at the holidays. Hope this helps.

jts70
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
A good estimate on time for that size bird would be 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. I always cook mine on a rack sitting in a pan with broth in it. The other thing I do that helps is to mix up some spice with some room temp butter (think you call it compote) then back in the fridge to get it real cold then run my finger between the breast and the skin and stick a bunch of that butter under the skin. I cook mine about 325 but you can cook at lower temps too and it will just take longer.

Thanks for the advice!

jts70
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
For me:

I go 30 minutes a pound at 250*. I have only injected my turkeys and not brined one yet so there might need to be an adjustment.

To help keep it moist, I keep it in an aluminum pan and baste with its own juices.

Thank you! It sure is nice having a place like this th learn from.

jts70
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
In mine, I go at 220 with a full water pan and about an hour a pound. I put sliced apples in the cavity, and baste with a butter and wine mix every 2 hours, and foil after 8 hours. We do some larger birds the same way at the holidays. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I am going to try the sliced apples sounds great, do you eat the apples or pitch them?

Mooner
04-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Go get you a good bbq thermometor and stick that dude right in the thigh. Once it hits 175 it's done. Remember, turkey is just like chicken so if your smoking and want crispy skin you have to cook it at 300+. This will reduce your cooking time but the thermometor will tell you when it's done. It will stay piping hot for an hour even sitting out on the counter.

jts70
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Go get you a good bbq thermometor and stick that dude right in the thigh. Once it hits 175 it's done. Remember, turkey is just like chicken so if your smoking and want crispy skin you have to cook it at 300+. This will reduce your cooking time but the thermometor will tell you when it's done. It will stay piping hot for an hour even sitting out on the counter.

Thanks good to know, cuz I do love some crispy skin!

jts70
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
For me:

Thanks . Good idea catching the drippings.