PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Memphis or sell?

BigDon
03-17-2018, 08:20 PM
So I have been researching some pellet grills. Mostly going between a Yoder, Blazn and Rec Tec. I then come across a brand new 2015 Memphs Elite that I got a fairly good deal on. I never considered these before because of the cost. Before I go and season this, are they really as good as some say? Is anyone using these in comps? Any pointers if I do keep it?
Thanks guys!

Free Mr. Tony
03-17-2018, 09:09 PM
It's as good and in some ways better than the others. Stainless being the main difference. Not sure how prevalent they are at comps, but I cooked chicken on one at the 2014 american royal. Managed 66th out of 500+ teams.

rwalters
03-17-2018, 10:07 PM
What are your priorities in a pellet grill? Memphis is one of the best pellet grills on the market. Out the the other three you mentioned, Id pick the Memphis. Really depends on you though. Are you looking to do more low n slow, hot n fast or an even mix of the two? Are you looking for the pellet grill that does the best job smoking, or is that not top priority? Are blazing high searing temps important?

BigDon
03-17-2018, 10:13 PM
What are your priorities in a pellet grill? Memphis is one of the best pellet grills on the market. Out the the other three you mentioned, Id pick the Memphis. Really depends on you though. Are you looking to do more low n slow, hot n fast or an even mix of the two? Are you looking for the pellet grill that does the best job smoking, or is that not top priority? Are blazing high searing temps important?

Guess I left that part out. I was mostly concerned with low and slow smoking. That's where my concern is. Sounds like these are great for high heat and convection but how is the low and slow. I don't even care much for heavy smoke but do want fall apart butts and juicy brisket.

rwalters
03-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Guess I left that part out. I was mostly concerned with low and slow smoking. That's where my concern is. Sounds like these are great for high heat and convection but how is the low and slow. I don't even care much for heavy smoke but do want fall apart butts and juicy brisket.

If low n slow is your top priority, but you are fine with a very light smoke profile, Id hands down keep the Memphis... but again, thats my opinion. The Memphis is a very refined cooker, engineered to hold ultra tight temps. It is sealed and double walled so it will just sip pellets. It is 304 stainless so you will never have to deal with paint/rust issues. If you occasionally want high heat grilling, its probably the most powerful pellet grill on the market.

With that said, as a straight smoker, I think youd hard pressed to beat the Yoder for its ability to produce a top-notch-pellet-smoke profile on your meat. But thats if a bit heavier smoke is important to you.

Honestly, I dont think youll be disappointed with any of the four you mentioned. Its just that Memphis is one of the Creme de la Creme pellet cookers on the market. If you got a great deal on it, Id fire it up and enjoy many many years of great cooks. Just my 2 cents :)

KevinJ
03-17-2018, 10:51 PM
You have one of the best Pellet Grills quality wise that you could possibly buy, if you can't turnout food as good as someone on one of the other brands you mentioned, then that's on you. It's the cook not the cooker, it helps to have a good cooker and you have one, none of them are magic.

BigDon
03-17-2018, 11:31 PM
You have one of the best Pellet Grills quality wise that you could possibly buy, if you can't turnout food as good as someone on one of the other brands you mentioned, then that's on you. It's the cook not the cooker, it helps to have a good cooker and you have one, none of them are magic.

I am not new to BBQ, just pellet grills/ smokers. I am fine with my ability but this is no OK Joe and worth more if I keep it new. I have read that a Mak does a better job at smoking. It was on another site but I trust most of the guys here so I asked. If this is not the best solution for my needs, then I would rather sell it new and move on.

rwalters
03-17-2018, 11:54 PM
I am not new to BBQ, just pellet grills/ smokers. I am fine with my ability but this is no OK Joe and worth more if I keep it new. I have read that a Mak does a better job at smoking. It was on another site but I trust most of the guys here so I asked. If this is not the best solution for my needs, then I would rather sell it new and move on.

In my opinion, the MAK will outperform the Memphis in the low n slow department. As a MAK owner, and having had many conversations with Memphis owners, I will stand by my statement :)

I did exhaustive research last year, and could have bought any pellet grill. I bought a MAK 2 Star and have been very pleased with it. The one thing I wish it could do that the Memphis does with ease is cruise right past the 500 mark for searing steaks. Other than that, I have no gripes.

gtsum
03-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KevinJ
03-18-2018, 04:39 PM
In my opinion, the MAK will outperform the Memphis in the low n slow department. As a MAK owner, and having had many conversations with Memphis owners, I will stand by my statement :)Lets use Spares or Beef Ribs for an example, so you're saying you could never achieve the same level of results taste and tenderness wise on a Memphis as you can on your MAK? Second part to this is you're basically saying, no one else can either. I stand by my statement that it's the cook not the cooker.

I'm not trying to bash MAK Grills, strongly considering purchasing a 1 Star General, because I'm not interested in it for high temp direct cooking, also looking at the Memphis Advantage but it's price point is quite higher unless you add the Flame Zone and Wifi then it's apples to apples, I'm confident I can turnout a great meal on whatever I decide to buy.

Back to the OP, if you want a pellet cooker just for smoking and make a decision to sell the Memphis, might want to look at the FEC 100, like Yoder they seem pretty popular with the BBQ comp and professional cook crowd.

lantern
03-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Lets use Spares or Beef Ribs for an example, so you're saying you could never achieve the same level of results taste and tenderness wise on a Memphis as you can on your MAK? Second part to this is you're basically saying, no one else can either. I stand by my statement that it's the cook not the cooker.

I'm not trying to bash MAK Grills, strongly considering purchasing a 1 Star General, because I'm not interested in it for high temp direct cooking, also looking at the Memphis Advantage but it's price point is quite higher unless you add the Flame Zone and Wifi then it's apples to apples, I'm confident I can turnout a great meal on whatever I decide to buy.

Back to the OP, if you want a pellet cooker just for smoking and make a decision to sell the Memphis, might want to look at the FEC 100, like Yoder they seem pretty popular with the BBQ comp and professional cook crowd.

First, rwalters said it was his opinion.

However, the COOK having to fiddle with this that and the other to produce a similar flavor profile of another cooker is pretty much the definition of one being better than the other at a single task.

The reason the Memphis tends to have a lighter smoke profile compared to cookers like the yoder or MAK is it is very efficient due to its insulated design. Setting those three grills at the same temp with the same meats will almost always turn out a lighter smoke on the Memphis.

Now, adding smoke tubes, starting low on the temps and generally figiting with the cooking of the Memphis can DEFINITELY add much more smoke.

However, two things come into play. I'm not the biggest fan of smoldering smoke flavor and what on earth am I spending top dollar for a computer controlled smoker if I'm still screwing with it just like I would my stick burner?

kevinstaggs
03-18-2018, 06:14 PM
KEEP the Memphis. Grills/smokers are like guns - you just get more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PnkPanther
03-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Lets use Spares or Beef Ribs for an example, so you're saying you could never achieve the same level of results taste and tenderness wise on a Memphis as you can on your MAK? Second part to this is you're basically saying, no one else can either. I stand by my statement that it's the cook not the cooker.

I both agree and disagree. Cook is more important then the cooker, but some cookers are better at something's. even at higher end there will be difference but both are capable of great cooks.

ssv3
03-18-2018, 06:40 PM
I'm with Kevin on this. A better cooker helps but at the end of the day it's the cook and not the cooker.

rwalters
03-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Fair question, and my intention was not to come across as a know-it-all or cocky. Sorry if I did. I should have better qualified my statement. The Memphis, as well as all pellet grills, are very capable of turning out phenomenal food. And absolutely, I agree... its more often than not the cook and not the cooker.

What I was trying to convey was this... after much research and discussing the Memphis vs MAK, I came to the belief that the MAK will turn out a smokier end product. In one of my discussions with a Memphis employee, I specifically asked if he had ever cooked on a MAK...and he had. At the end of our conversation even he said it was his experience that a MAK will impart more smoke than a Memphis. He said if you want a pellet grill that smokes like a loco-motive than perhaps youd be happier with the MAK. There was lots and lots and positive stuff said about the Memphis in our conversation, but that one comment really stuck with me.

Would I love to have a Memphis Elite in my backyard? YES!!! In fact, Id like it so much that Id even consider trading my MAK for it. It may not impart as much smoke, but it does other things better than the MAK.

Bottomline, MAK or Memphis... you simply cant lose :)

Again, I apologize if I came across as a jerk :(

KevinJ
03-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Fair question, and my intention was not to come across as a know-it-all or cocky. Sorry if I did. I should have better qualified my statement. The Memphis, as well as all pellet grills, are very capable of turning out phenomenal food. And absolutely, I agree... its more often than not the cook and not the cooker.

What I was trying to convey was this... after much research and discussing the Memphis vs MAK, I came to the belief that the MAK will turn out a smokier end product. In one of my discussions with a Memphis employee, I specifically asked if he had ever cooked on a MAK...and he had. At the end of our conversation even he said it was his experience that a MAK will impart more smoke than a Memphis. He said if you want a pellet grill that smokes like a loco-motive than perhaps youd be happier with the MAK. There was lots and lots and positive stuff said about the Memphis in our conversation, but that one comment really stuck with me.

Would I love to have a Memphis Elite in my backyard? YES!!! In fact, Id like it so much that Id even consider trading my MAK for it. It may not impart as much smoke, but it does other things better than the MAK.

Bottomline, MAK or Memphis... you simply cant lose :)

Again, I apologize if I came across as a jerk :(I didn't take it as you coming across as a jerk and I believe you purchased the best PG for you, I just felt that there are not as much a difference cooking wise as you expressed. For the record I've always respected your opinions and the cooks you have posted all the way back to your M1 cooks.

Appreciate your replay to my question and I'm being sincere when I say that.

grilla
03-18-2018, 07:19 PM
I own an elite and have competed on it. Have had several pork and brisket calls on it. The nice part about the Memphis line is that you can cook low and slow at a comp then come home and sear steaks at 700*. I've also cooked ribs at 275 and still had good smoke flavor. I honestly believe the pellets used determine a lot about smoke profile in a pellet grill. That being said Memphis is a very capable do it all grill.

KevinJ
03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
double post.

rwalters
03-18-2018, 07:30 PM
I own an elite and have competed on it. Have had several pork and brisket calls on it. The nice part about the Memphis line is that you can cook low and slow at a comp then come home and sear steaks at 700*. I've also cooked ribs at 275 and still had good smoke flavor. I honestly believe the pellets used determine a lot about smoke profile in a pellet grill. That being said Memphis is a very capable do it all grill.

Its that high temps (650/Pro 700/Elite) that have always had my full attention! Its the ultra high temps that I believe may possibly make the Memphis a better all in one than any other pellet grill on the market. Do you have pics of your Memphis and some of the steak (or other) cooks that youve done? Would love to see :)

lantern
03-18-2018, 10:49 PM
Its that high temps (650/Pro 700/Elite) that have always had my full attention! Its the ultra high temps that I believe may possibly make the Memphis a better all in one than any other pellet grill on the market. Do you have pics of your Memphis and some of the steak (or other) cooks that youve done? Would love to see :)

Do you use your blackstone to sear after cooking on your MAK? That's what I do. Although, I DO have an adjustable regulator on my BS to bring it up to real searing temp.

I've also thought about bolting on the sear box from camp chef to make it one unit.

Apologies for being off topic. As far as that goes......there's no way I would sell the Memphis for a Yoder or Rec Tec unless I was getting something else to significantly sweeten the deal.

rwalters
03-18-2018, 11:10 PM
Do you use your blackstone to sear after cooking on your MAK? That's what I do. Although, I DO have an adjustable regulator on my BS to bring it up to real searing temp.

Yep, a 17 and 36 Blackstone. They work great for reverse sears. I also have a 26 kettle with a Slow n Sear... that works GREAT for steak cooks.

stljay
03-19-2018, 06:39 AM
With pellets I truly believe you should get the build quality and features that are important to you. Our GMG puts out what looks like tons of blue smoke and gives a very clean light smoke flavor. You can augment that with a smoke tube but it still will not be overly smokey. The point is the flavor profile is very similar off most pellet grills. I've eaten food off Traegers and Yoders. None taste like what I get off my drum. Rubs and injections and technique influence flavor more I think than brand of grill. Memphis is pretty versatile and well built. I'd keep it!

BigDon
03-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to keep it. :-D

I guess I should have made my post more clear to start with. I understand your ability has a lot to do with the outcome. I have cooked on everything from campfires to commercial equipment. When I am spending that kind of money, I want to make sure the grill is going to be what fits my needs the best. You could take any 3 high end sports cars and 1 might to do better in a drag race, 1 might do better on a circle track or road course and so on. I am looking for something that will mostly be spending its time low and slow while I get some sleep.

BigDon
03-19-2018, 08:03 AM

grilla
How is the heat on the main racks? Would I do better to buy the grate kit and cook on the middle racks for butts and brisket?

rwalters
03-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to keep it. :-D

I guess I should have made my post more clear to start with. I understand your ability has a lot to do with the outcome. I have cooked on everything from campfires to commercial equipment. When I am spending that kind of money, I want to make sure the grill is going to be what fits my needs the best. You could take any 3 high end sports cars and 1 might to do better in a drag race, 1 might do better on a circle track or road course and so on. I am looking for something that will mostly be spending its time low and slow while I get some sleep.

Congrats on your new Memphis!!! Would love to see a pic of it in its new setting :)

grilla
03-19-2018, 06:55 PM
The upper grates should have come with the elite. Also the direct flame insert and meat probe. Yes I know for a fact that the pro and elite do 650* and I'm pretty sure they do 700* I'll have to see if I can round up some pics this week. Yes I believe as far as pellet "grills" go Memphis is one of the best.

qnbiker
03-20-2018, 11:05 AM
My philosophy is, if you bring home a grill or smoker and your wife doesn't kill you, KEEP it!

OklaDustDevil
03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
What are your priorities in a pellet grill? Memphis is one of the best pellet grills on the market. Out the the other three you mentioned, I’d pick the Memphis. Really depends on you though. Are you looking to do more low n slow, hot n fast or an even mix of the two? Are you looking for the pellet grill that does the best job smoking, or is that not top priority? Are blazing high searing temps important?

^^^^ I agree the most important thing is to figure out your purpose. Some pellet smokers try hard to be all-in-one, both smokers and high temp grills, and end up compromising both. I went thru exactly the same analysis and decision last year.

My research led me to believe the Memphis is the best grilling pellet smoker on the market, but of course rather high priced due to the stainless.

I ultimately concluded I want to smoke, and am happy grilling on my Weber, so I chose a Mak 1-star. I made that decision because 1- I concluded it is on the smokier end of the pellet spectrum, and 2- IMHO it has the best controller, with an integrated food probe, that allows for multi-temp smokes. My research also led me to believe the Yoders are on the smokier end of the spectrum.

So to me it all boils down to your intended purpose. You may get an awesome deal on a really expensive pellet grill, but if it's less suited for how you intend to use it then how good a deal is it really?

Mankite
03-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Have you checked out Pitts and Spitts? If smoking is your number one priority I’d check them out.

Hog1990
03-22-2018, 12:36 PM
I did not read all of the comments, so I am sorry if I am repeating what others have said. I have owned many pellet grills and some ovens: GMG Daniel Boone & Davy Crockett, Traeger, Yoder 480,640 X 3 & 1500, Cookshack 100, 120 and PG500, Fire Craft, Smoking Brothers, Rec Tec and Memphis Pro. I have not cooked on any others such as Mak so I won't comment on those. I can without hesitation say that the Memphis is by far the best designed and functional grill I have owned. I turn out great product whether grilling (90% of what I do on it) or smoking. It is pricey, but I would not trade it for any of the previous brands I have owned.

Mankite
03-22-2018, 08:07 PM
I did not read all of the comments, so I am sorry if I am repeating what others have said. I have owned many pellet grills and some ovens: GMG Daniel Boone & Davy Crockett, Traeger, Yoder 480,640 X 3 & 1500, Cookshack 100, 120 and PG500, Fire Craft, Smoking Brothers, Rec Tec and Memphis Pro. I have not cooked on any others such as Mak so I won't comment on those. I can without hesitation say that the Memphis is by far the best designed and functional grill I have owned. I turn out great product whether grilling (90% of what I do on it) or smoking. It is pricey, but I would not trade it for any of the previous brands I have owned.

Not to get off topic but just curious how the FEC100 and FEC120 compared to each other? Any differences you notice in the finished product between the two?

Hog1990
03-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Not to get off topic but just curious how the FEC100 and FEC120 compared to each other? Any differences you notice in the finished product between the two?

Quite a bit. The 100 has several heat zones. It really is a great competition smoker, but I did not like it for commercial use. Too much time rotating product. The convection on the 120 is a game changer, and having the firebox behind the back interior wall helps keep temps more even. You will still do some rotating, but the machine loaded will out perform the 100 every time.