PDA

View Full Version : New Assassin Grill 48"

Peter B
03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
After viewing numerous pictures and videos of the Assassin Grill I decided to get me one. BBQ Freak's videos really won me over. Awesome job man.

This is what showed up at my door today https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeHT78Qs9DajjNvD_fRCePTYev9w8NlNURBaUXEl4AtO weOeEbaD7u4szVgkkANA/photo/AF1QipNPgblVkuOBhmuRyjQrpwuQRvVQ0WS4O9IGcXKX?key=R UpyZ0xqX0poeTN3YWJIdEcyQXdoYXhZa3lnTlh3:

https://imgur.com/a/dX6vP

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeHT78Qs9DajjNvD_fRCePTYev9w8NlNURBaUXEl4AtO weOeEbaD7u4szVgkkANA/photo/AF1QipParMnTaifApab3NbhYAu8zLs2R_tj0N7Sk0l-s?key=RUpyZ0xqX0poeTN3YWJIdEcyQXdoYXhZa3lnTlh3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeHT78Qs9DajjNvD_fRCePTYev9w8NlNURBaUXEl4AtO weOeEbaD7u4szVgkkANA/photo/AF1QipOZfeVv5rZy4-LJGxv-HYLFAXaU3AubdMtUaFfq?key=RUpyZ0xqX0poeTN3YWJIdEcyQ XdoYXhZa3lnTlh3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeHT78Qs9DajjNvD_fRCePTYev9w8NlNURBaUXEl4AtO weOeEbaD7u4szVgkkANA/photo/AF1QipNPgblVkuOBhmuRyjQrpwuQRvVQ0WS4O9IGcXKX?key=R UpyZ0xqX0poeTN3YWJIdEcyQXdoYXhZa3lnTlh3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeHT78Qs9DajjNvD_fRCePTYev9w8NlNURBaUXEl4AtO weOeEbaD7u4szVgkkANA/photo/AF1QipNGHUO_v_Z-LV1tPI9POI02x1tHnG9pakH1Q5rN?key=RUpyZ0xqX0poeTN3Y WJIdEcyQXdoYXhZa3lnTlh3

Here are the custom Options:
1) Two Firebox Doors
2) Two Smokes Stacks
3) Solid Stainless Steel Shelves
4) Stainless Steel Rod Grates.

Jeff and Rachel were great to work with and they certainly deliver an amazing grill.

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 11:02 AM
awesome and your going to love it .

Peter B
03-17-2018, 11:02 AM
not sure if the images are coming through for anyone.

Peter B
03-17-2018, 11:06 AM
awesome and your going to love it .

I am burning a charcoal maze to break her in. It is holding very steady temps and seems very easy to use.

Your videos are awesome. Keep it up.

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 11:06 AM
i can see one image and then yo hit the arrow button and you can see them . i use imgur and is free but you have to pic the right size but is free and works great .

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 11:07 AM
I am burning a charcoal maze to break her in. It is holding very steady temps and seems very easy to use.

Your videos are awesome. Keep it up.

you using a guru ?

Peter B
03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
you using a guru ?
I am not a big fan of electronics to help me cook. Just using the natural airflow for now.

Jabba1221
03-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Looks awesome. Did the blocks to make the maze come standard or is that one of the options?

thunderalley3
03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
I am picking up my 36 inch Assassin grill on Monday. Looking forward to seeing more about your experience so far and how using the maze worked out.

I am a non electronics kind of person also and that is why I chose the Assassin grill.

Peter B
03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
I bought the steel tubes separately. You should be able to get them from any metal supply depot.

Big George's BBQ
03-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Very nice. Congrats and Enjoy

Peter B
03-17-2018, 12:30 PM
I am picking up my 36 inch Assassin grill on Monday. Looking forward to seeing more about your experience so far and how using the maze worked out.

I am a non electronics kind of person also and that is why I chose the Assassin grill.

The coals jumped the maze right in the middle. I was just seasoning the grill so it wasn't a big deal but I need to figure it out for when I am cooking for real.

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 02:02 PM
The coals jumped the maze right in the middle. I was just seasoning the grill so it wasn't a big deal but I need to figure it out for when I am cooking for real.

for the maze I used 7/16" thick 2" tube steel and never had mine jump and will ck out you maze pic again .

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 02:04 PM
they chaged the grates I noticed also with your maze three wide I bet you can go will a longer burn than my 14 hour one .

Peter B
03-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Those are custom grates. It was the first time they made them. I explained to Jeff exactly how I wanted them made. They are split in halves so I can take them inside to wash and I can cook on half a grate indirectly then slide the grate over the coals for a reverse sear. Plus the rods are way easier to clean than expanded metal.

Jeff liked them so much he made some for his personal grill.

Peter B
03-17-2018, 02:57 PM
I am using 2" tubular steel. I am hoping to eventually get 16+ hours with that maze configuration. It should be possible. If I figure it out I will post pictures.

Sandybum41
03-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Looks great!!! Curious to see how your maze setup will work going with 3 passes. I ordered my 48 last week. Can't wait to go pick it up!!!

BBQ Freak
03-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Looks great!!! Curious to see how your maze setup will work going with 3 passes. I ordered my 48 last week. Can't wait to go pick it up!!!

me too and have always gone down and back and got 14 hour burn time and I am following to see if I can get longer burns .

Beentown
03-17-2018, 07:18 PM
About to order. How much were the stainless racks?

Peter B
03-17-2018, 08:58 PM
I believe the racks were 250 or 265. Somewhere around that price.

PnkPanther
03-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Nice looking grill

olewarthog
03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Assassin Grills are great. Pround owner of a 36" grill & an Assassin 17 smoker. Welcome to #TeamAssassin

JS-TX
03-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Great looking grill!

I've had issues with my maze jumping. I either got it too hot and/or the draft was really strong and the hot air lit the tips of the coals on the others side of the tubing. I use my 36 as a mini stick burner, 1/2 chimney of hot lump and very small splits every 45min or so to maintain 250-300* A few times I've added some lump after I've wrapped to maintain temps.

Peter B
03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Great looking grill!

I've had issues with my maze jumping. I either got it too hot and/or the draft was really strong and the hot air lit the tips of the coals on the others side of the tubing. I use my 36 as a mini stick burner, 1/2 chimney of hot lump and very small splits every 45min or so to maintain 250-300* A few times I've added some lump after I've wrapped to maintain temps.

I am thinking about using the angle iron from the shipping crate to help prevent the maze from jumping. I have a couple of ideas I may try out.

I am absolutely planning on using this as a mini stick burner as well. my grates are all cut in half and I was thinking about leaving one side out and feeding the fire with sticks from above and cooking my food indirectly on the grate side. I have to play around with it to see what works though.

thunderalley3
03-19-2018, 08:29 PM
I was at Assassin today and picked up my new 36 inch grill. These things are beasts and I can't wait to get it fired up and burned in.

I must say that Jeff is one of the nicest guy's to talk with and he welcomes everyone to his shop the same. He is a down to earth man who builds an affordable quality cooker.

We talked about using mazes but I am going to use this grill for my chicken so burn time is not an issue for me, but I am planning on playing around with mazes for future reference!!

Daddio BBQ
01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
First off I apologize for bumping an old thread as my first action as a new member but biggest reason I found this site and felt compelled to sign up was the information and reviews on the Assassin 48 which I have just started working with Rachel on customizing. I actually got here through the Baby Back Maniac video on if I could only have one cooker as it is time for me to upgrade from my Weber 22 performer. I had an additional part poured as a grill pad for my patio so I can put whatever I want on there but only room for one big cooker. The Assassin just calls to me at that price point as the only grill/smoker I will ever need. A big thank you to BBQ Freak for the series of videos that truly showed both passion and technique for using this grill. I have been also looking at the Yoder 24x48 and LSG 24x48 for that adjustable charcoal grate but the price point and cooking capacity of the Assassin is too good to pass up on in my eyes.

This thread in particular with the custom SS rod grates was a huge selling point for me. I was hoping to get a review of how those grates held up with a full season of cooking. I was thinking for my personal use to do the same for the main rack but go with the SS expanded for the top rack as that will be used 90% of the time for veggies and sides. Just curious how happy you are with that top grate and if it is recommended to just go with the rods for both.

I also have a question on the V-pan/Water Pan for those who use it. I am not a fan of using water in my cooks but based on pictures it appears I could use the water pan as more of a deflector plate and I could line with foil to catch the drippings for easier cleanup. Is the V-pan really that much better for smoking as I don't see the need for having both I would like to just perfect the one setup.

Last question for now and again apologies for starting out with a full novel here is on the second smoke stack. I will only have the one firebox door and for sure will move the first smoke stack all the way to the right that just fits my cooking style carried over from the kettle. My question is should I put a second one in either the left or middle for those just cooking some burgers or steaks nights and only need direct heat. I am just wondering if that chamber is so large that having a stack closer to the coals will give me a higher temp to sear on. I see in the pictures for this one you have stacks on both ends so curious if that was just for flexibility since you have two fire doors or if there would be an advantage to two even if I will always have the charcoal in the same spot.

olewarthog
01-12-2019, 09:44 AM
The water can will warp if used dry.

I have a right side stack on my 36 & don't have any trouble searing burgers or steaks since I don't generally close the door when grilling/searing. I also put the charcoal on the water pan/vpan rails when I want a really good sear.

Daddio BBQ
01-12-2019, 01:20 PM
That makes sense on the water pan will not get one. Thank you for the confirmation on just using the smoke stack to the right and it seems for my uses I will only need the one. I do have a follow-up on when you put the charcoal pan in the top slot would you be able to put the V Pan in the third slot. I know there is a storage spot for it on the cart but if everything could be kept in the "firebox" could have more storage before

Daddio BBQ
01-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Below not before

TXNewbie
01-12-2019, 02:53 PM
I've had my Assassin 48 for about 4 months. It has taken me a while to figure out how to use it, and enjoy it more now than when I first received it. It is definitely a quality unit.

My one regret - if you could call it that - is that I wish instead of upgrading both shelves to expanded SS, to simply upgrade the main shelf only to the round bar.

Daddio BBQ
01-12-2019, 04:22 PM
You are happy with the SS expanded for the top rack though or would you say round bad there as well if fits in budget?

Was there one or two things you learned in those 4 months that you wish you did from the start or just a process everyone will have to go through to learn the unit?

Peter B
01-12-2019, 07:40 PM
To me, there are two main advantages of round bar grates over expanded metal grates:
1) Round bar is easier to clean than expanded metal.
2) The round bar grates are cut in half which gives you more flexibility for both cooking and cleaning(I can clean the grates in my kitchen sink because they are cut in half).

I like to cook with a wood fire off to one side with a half grate on the other side cooking food indirectly. I can then just slide the grate directly over the fire for a reverse sear and slide it away from the fire if there is a flare up. In this regard, I only do this with the bottom shelf. The top shelf being made from round bar only has the ease of cleaning advantage.

TXNewbie
01-12-2019, 08:59 PM
You are happy with the SS expanded for the top rack though or would you say round bad there as well if fits in budget?

Was there one or two things you learned in those 4 months that you wish you did from the start or just a process everyone will have to go through to learn the unit?

If you use the top shelf (I rarely do), then expanded SS for the top shelf if fine.

It took me a while to learn how much charcoal, how much to open the vent, how open vs closed fire door affects heat, etc. etc. It is no fault of the grill, simply my learning what ways work best for me and the way I want to cook. For instance, my weber get the meat closer to the fire than the Assassin ever will. That is not necessarily good or bad. It just required me to learn how the grill acted differently than my Weber 26" Kettle.

I also learned that when I cook indirect with the door closed and the meat (sausage in this case) over by the smoke stack side and charcoal over by the door side, I need to rotate and flip the sausage for even cooking. If I don't the side away from the fire is raw. I didn't need to do this on my Kettle. Again - not bad, just different.

And depending on how you cook/use this none of these may be true for you.

But I will say to get a super hot sear takes significantly more charcoal than my 26" weber kettle does and that makes sense - it's a bigger grill with the charcoal further from the grate. It just took me a bit of time to figure all this stuff out.

All in all it's a beautiful unit and a great value.

Daddio BBQ
01-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Very good tip on sliding the half shelf back and forth over the coals. I will make sure the bottom rack is in two pieces to do the same. For the top rack it just seems like fish and veggies will be easier to work with on the SS expanded despite being harder to clean.

If the charcoal pan is moved to the vpan rail as described how far will the charcoal be from the bottom grate. I will have the same learning curve from the kettle where mine are only an inch or two away.

Peter B
01-13-2019, 09:34 PM
If the charcoal pan is moved to the vpan rail as described how far will the charcoal be from the bottom grate. I will have the same learning curve from the kettle where mine are only an inch or two away.

Placing the charcoal pan in the vpan rail will get you within 3 inches of the cooking grate. That is exactly how I set it up for grilling.

Huskres
01-13-2019, 09:54 PM
How thick is the body on the grill?

TXNewbie
01-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Placing the charcoal pan in the vpan rail will get you within 3 inches of the cooking grate. That is exactly how I set it up for grilling.

FYI Assassin told me specifically their grates are not designed to handle the heat from that and will warp them.

Daddio BBQ
01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Is that another advantage of the SS round bar grate on the bottom?

TXNewbie
01-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Is that another advantage of the SS round bar grate on the bottom?

Yes. I am spending extra money to have a custom round bar grate made up for me separate of Assassin.

Anyone local to DFW want a stainless steel Assassin 48" grate at a discounted price?

Huskres
01-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Yes. I am spending extra money to have a custom round bar grate made up for me separate of Assassin.

Anyone local to DFW want a stainless steel Assassin 48" grate at a discounted price?

You should just sell me your whole 48” assassin. 😁

For guys who do a lot of grilling on it how are steaks and such?

TXNewbie
01-14-2019, 02:19 PM

I do primarily grilling on it and it is great. I also seared some pork over the charcoal on a two zone set up and added some wood to add a smoke flavor and then put the pork on the smoke stack side for indirect heat. Looked like it had very good air flow.

In fact will be doing sausage tonight on it. I usually set up a 2-zone set up, put the sausage on the indirect side until almost done, then put it on the charcoal side to really crisp up the skin. Works great.

If I sell the standard SS expanded metal rack then I can afford the round bar version.

Peter B
01-14-2019, 05:49 PM
FYI Assassin told me specifically their grates are not designed to handle the heat from that and will warp them.

I don’t have the typical grates. Jeff made me custom stainless steel rod grates which are more robust than the standard expanded metal grates. No problems with warping so far and it has been about a year of moderate use.

Daddio BBQ
01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Peter B question on your two firebox doors. Do you wish you had the doors insulated. I saw a video from BBQ Freak and he had daisey wheel fully closed which I am assuming means some airflow gets through the door. I am just curious if with the second door it would be better to have seal for both better control with the temps and in shutting it down and saving charcoal.

Peter B
01-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Peter B question on your two firebox doors. Do you wish you had the doors insulated. I saw a video from BBQ Freak and he had daisey wheel fully closed which I am assuming means some airflow gets through the door. I am just curious if with the second door it would be better to have seal for both better control with the temps and in shutting it down and saving charcoal.

I primarily burn sticks instead of charcoal so I prefer the daisy wheel for better airflow.

I think the insulated doors make sense if you are using a temperature control device but I prefer staying low tech and tending my fire regularly.

Daddio BBQ
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM
I prefer the pinwheel setup as well and would not be using a digital controller I am just wondering if the doors leak air a little and and could benefitv from gaskets or if they are tight.

BBQ Freak
01-16-2019, 07:55 PM
I prefer the pinwheel setup as well and would not be using a digital controller I am just wondering if the doors leak air a little and and could benefitv from gaskets or if they are tight.

I do have gaskets on mine around the fire box door and seals tight except the pinwheel has a very slight gap but the air flow comes from the large diameter short stack , this is the first cooker I controlled the temps and closing the stack to 1/2" opening to control heat .

Daddio BBQ
01-16-2019, 08:51 PM
So no problem killing the fire when all vents are closed?

BBQ Freak
01-16-2019, 08:56 PM
So no problem killing the fire when all vents are closed?

I never tried and just used a fire poker and moved the charcoal to stop the burn of the charcoal .

BBQ Freak
01-16-2019, 09:03 PM
also I will add that I never burnt a fire in mine and used it as a charcoal smoker like it was made to be and not saying you can not but to small of area for me to do so .

Peter B
01-17-2019, 05:39 AM
BBQ Freak is right. The Assassain Grill is not designed to butn sticks. It is designed to burn charcoal.

Therefore I don’t manage my fire through the fire box door when I am burning sticks, only when I cook with charcoal.

I manage my fire through the main door to the cook chamber, but that limits the cooking capacity in half which is still a lot of cooking space. Also, the splits need to be small. Here is a link to some images of how I manage my fire in the Assassin:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WfFanAwimhMcsYoP9

I usually open the main door, check my food, spritz and throw on a couple of small splits. It has been working for me but it is not for everyone.

Daddio BBQ
01-17-2019, 07:14 AM
I should have been more specific in my wording. I am strictly speaking of charcoal and in this case thinking if the situation where come home from work just going to grill a couple steaks so a full chimney of either briquettes or lump. Based on your description above I just need to spread charcoal out then close all vents and that should stop the charcoal from burning correct? The biggest issue for me on that is getting the cooker to cool off so I can put cover on as it will be on uncovered patio. I of course like saving charcoal for the next run too but keeping the cooker covered and out of rain is my primary goal with this question

TXNewbie
01-17-2019, 08:02 AM
I've found on my 48" if I leave the fire door open, and keep the front door closed, the heat actually DECREASES in the cooking area from when I reached cooking temp. It's like the heat goes out of the door.

However if I close the fire door, use the pinwheel or BBQ Guru adapter, and keep the front door closed then the heat increases and I can control it fine.

This is regardless of whether I use wood or not. I will also add when doing it this way, there seems to be a good flow coming out of the stack.

If I am simply trying to sear, and want the hottest tempt possible, then I keep the firebox door open and the main lid open.

SmokinTheGoodStuff
01-17-2019, 09:40 AM
I have a 36 with insulated door and ball valve, if I close the valve and stack it will put the fire out, it would still take a while before it would be cool enough to put a cover on.

Daddio BBQ
01-17-2019, 11:45 AM
I was figuring it would take awhile to cool after killing the charcoal which is why I want to make sure I can snuff it out. Otherwise I am waiting for charcoal to burn off and then the cooker cooling down.

olewarthog
01-17-2019, 02:00 PM

My Assassin does great steaks. I use GrillGrates when cooking steaks.